Negative ion's improves the training?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, After WW2 to present....the Russian's have been using "negative ion's" in there training areas...

They say it improves endurance by 900%, Balance increases by 300%, and reaction times by 100%. That is why the russians were able to win so many Gold medals!

Our navy use them on the ships to energized and helps keep the watch alert more active!

Niagara falls generates high levels of negative ions within 1/2 miles...that is why lots of people feel better, more active and alert....most falls around the world too!

Please research this on the web....many companies sells' "negative ion generators". Some are portable and some can be put into cars.

POSTIVE IONS: Create's the opposite effects, cause people to make more mistakes, loss of concentration, confusion, tireness, (even terriorist are aware of this for a weapon).

Can negative ion's generator's help our martial art training? ....it seems so!

Aloha ( gotta get some for the home and car? ) $$$$$

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you know that your computer monitor creates positive ions?

OMG, run away!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm actually a bit interested in using magnets for healing because I'm nursing a sore wrist (for weeks) and it's interfering with my training so I'm wondering if some of those magnetic-therapy-healing-thingies actually work

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm actually a bit interested in using magnets for healing because I'm nursing a sore wrist (for weeks) and it's interfering with my training so I'm wondering if some of those magnetic-therapy-healing-thingies actually work

Hello, Yes there are many companies claiming it helps to some degree? Maybe placebo effects too? Ibuprofen? ....cheaper than magnets?

Hope is heals soon! ...........Aloha

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are many negative ions in the area of a waterfall. If you ever are near a waterfall, take advantage of it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello, Where can one find more information on this positive ions for computers?

Aloha

Well, its just one of the effects of a cathode ray tube, so your TV does as well, I don't know what, if any, effect LCD/Plasma or other flat screen technology does to the amount of ions.

Lamont

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, its just one of the effects of a cathode ray tube, so your TV does as well, I don't know what, if any, effect LCD/Plasma or other flat screen technology does to the amount of ions.

Lamont

Hello, Thank-you......Never new these ion's can affect us and our moods?
Interesting stuff when you research it! If the Russians had many sucess with it? .......Next time when near a water fall? ......have to check out the ion's.............Aloha

PS: Would ocean waves cause the same ions as water falls?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My city, Louisville, KY, has a river that runs by it, the Ohio River. The river has a waterfall in it, called "the falls of the Ohio".

Long ago, before the Army Engineers built up some structure there, it was very difficult for boats to go past that part of the river, carrying material.

The boats had to be unloaded by hand, and then moved a little, and then reloaded. Part of the reason why the city I live in exists is because there was a need for people to live here and help with this unloading and loading, by hand.

The story goes that the Indians, who of course lived here all along, before the white man came, held that area to be sacred. It was a special area. Was it such a special area because of the negative ions? I cannot say, because I don't know.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hm, it sounds a bit weird to me... I mean, if an oxygen molecule was negatively loaded, wouldn't a positive ion/particle/whatever start sticking to it, in order to make it 'neutral'? Molecules are ofen in the form that doesn't 'cost' energy, so why would an oxygen molecule want to stay negative? In a solution (aq), there could be ions etc, but I don't see that there could be negative ions in the air or something... Because then there would be all sort of reactions etc. that would make a mess of the air, wouldn't there?

Also, magnets aren't really able to 'ionize' things, are they? In order to make something ionize, you always need something to dissolve it in (like water). You can't manipulate it by holding a magnet over it or something... For instance, salt is, well, a salt, so it consists of 2 ions (Na+ and Cl-.) In its solid form, it's 'just' NaCl. But if you put it in water, the NaCl moleculs split and then there's only Na+ and Cl- in the water, there's no NaCl. I don't think it's possible to make salt 'dissolve' with amagnet, is it?

(is there someone who can scientifically explain this to me? I'm only in my senior year of high school, but I'd like to understand it :p).

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The negative ion generators are really nothing more than hype. While it is true, that negative ions will clump around particulates in the air (pollen, smoke), and that the net negative charge will result in the particulates adhering to a positively charged surface, the real effect on the air quality is minimal at best.

If anything, instead of spending 50 dollars for a new air ionizer, you could have spent 4 dollars, gotten a decent quality air filter for your HVAC intake area, and had a much better result, much more quickly.

As for magnetism, I'll just state things a bit bluntly:

I've been working around superconducting magnets used in nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers for the last dozen years. These magnets are powerful enough, that someone who is 8 feet away from the magnet is still getting bombarded by a 50 Gauss field. Nevermind the fact that I'm right next to the magnet when trying to match and tune the probes (hence, the field is even stronger).

Last I saw, I was in excellent health, even after all of these years, much as I was during my college and earlier years, where I had never worked with such things. If magnetism had any effect, I would think that I would have felt something by now.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, magnets aren't really able to 'ionize' things, are they? In order to make something ionize, you always need something to dissolve it in (like water). You can't manipulate it by holding a magnet over it or something... For instance, salt is, well, a salt, so it consists of 2 ions (Na+ and Cl-.) In its solid form, it's 'just' NaCl. But if you put it in water, the NaCl moleculs split and then there's only Na+ and Cl- in the water, there's no NaCl. I don't think it's possible to make salt 'dissolve' with amagnet, is it?

(is there someone who can scientifically explain this to me? I'm only in my senior year of high school, but I'd like to understand it :p).

An ion is an atom with a net charge. To ionize a material, you have to ensure that the number of protons and neutrons in enough of the atoms in that material is unequal (in the same way). Very powerful radiation can do this over a wide range of material; high-energy X-rays, cosmic rays, for example, or the gamma rays emitted during a nuclear reaction. The less energetic the energy source, the less likely you are to get electrons knocked out of their `shells' to yield an atom with a net charge. If you're dealing with an electrically neutral material held together by normal electromagnetic forces, a magnetic field won't have any effect on it whatever. So a magnet, so far as I know, is a very unlikely means to get ionization effects in a molecularly structured material; it won't do anything to that material.

A free plasma, though, would be a different story... you would get segregation of the particles in the plasma according to their charge under the influence of a magnetic field, hence instant ionization. But plasmas are pretty exotic birds, so far as terrestrial conditions go. So no, you are not going to get ionization effects in normal matter via magetic fields, I wouldn't think.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to add something to what Grenadier said...

The "healing" magnets people wear don't even have a strong enough field to penetrate the skin, let alone affect muscles and nerves.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Studies shows "negative ions" are produce like at Nigara Falls, and people feel better? ....and the Russians use for there athlete's and won many medals? ....there must be some truths to ;NEGATIVE IONS"s....

Find the right or best device? ....that is produce? ....that works like at Nigara Falls? ......producing negative ions? ......this is the hard part? ...how can you telll which device is the right one?

Aloha

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Studies shows "negative ions" are produce like at Nigara Falls, and people feel better? ....and the Russians use for there athlete's and won many medals? ....there must be some truths to ;NEGATIVE IONS"s....

Find the right or best device? ....that is produce? ....that works like at Nigara Falls? ......producing negative ions? ......this is the hard part? ...how can you telll which device is the right one?

Aloha

Negative ions may have made the Russian athletes feel better but there's a very good chance it was the state sponsored drug enhancement programs that produced the medals.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Correlation does not imply causation.

I'm going to suggest that modern pharmaceuticals had much to do with it, as suggested by the Kalinski document.

Lamont

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Aloha

As Blindside said, correlation does not imply causation. Simply because the Russians use negative ions and their athletes (who are subsidized by the government, and whose job is to train so they can win medals) win medals does not imply causation - only correlation.

Studies can show all sorts of things in controlled conditions that cannot be duplicated elsewhere. Also, there is a psychological component to this - the placebo effect. Tell someone often enough that a particular concept is fact, and eventually the person will begin to believe it.

For myself, I will train to improve my skills - not rely on gadgets that may or may not work.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Negative ions may have made the Russian athletes feel better but there's a very good chance it was the state sponsored drug enhancement programs that produced the medals.

Yes. The Russian and East German teams during the Cold War pioneered the use of anabolic steroids to such an extent that the current German court system is awash with lawsuits by former athletes of the East German teams, particularly women, whose biochemistries were literally destroyed by the steroid cycles they were put on by the apparatchik-coaches who sacrificed these young athletes for political ends. John Ziegler, an American physician, induced a Soviet team coach to tell him about these substances and the cycling routines the USSR athletes used, and brought the use of these substances back to the USA, promulgating them through the York Barbell club, at that time the leading American powerlifting center. The Russians and East Germans worked out the steroid cycling system, various anti-doping camouflage tricks, and managed to bamboozle and intimidate the always-behind-the-8-ball Olympic officials for decades about how `clean' their athletes were.

So please, let's not entertain any fantasies for a moment that the Russian and East German track and field, weightlifting and swimming champions' superior perfomance in several decades of Olympics and world championship events had anything to do with `negative ions'. There's no longer even the slightest question that both teams, and probably the Bulgarians and a few others, were on the juice pretty consistently up until the fall of the Soviet state.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. The Russian and East German teams during the Cold War pioneered the use of anabolic steroids to such an extent that the current German court system is awash with lawsuits by former athletes of the East German teams, particularly women, whose biochemistries were literally destroyed by the steroid cycles they were put on by the apparatchik-coaches who sacrificed these young athletes for political ends. John Ziegler, an American physician, induced a Soviet team coach to tell him about these substances and the cycling routines the USSR athletes used, and brought the use of these substances back to the USA, propulgating them through the York Barbell club, at that time the leading American powerlifting center. The Russians and East Germans worked out the steroid cycling system, various anti-doping camouflage tricks, and managed to bamboozle and intimidate the always-behind-the-8-ball Olympic officials for decades about how `clean' their athletes were.

So please, let's not entertain any fantasies for a moment that the Russian and East German track and field, weightlifting and swimming champions' superior perfomance in several decades of Olympics and world championship events had anything to do with `negative ions'. There's no longer even the slightest question that both teams, and probably the Bulgarians and a few others, were on the juice pretty consistently up until the fall of the Soviet state.

Tell me about it!

An Australian athlete, Raylene Boyle, fininshed second to East German athlete Renee Stecher twice (100m and 200m) in the Munich Olympics. Stecher later admitted to being part of the pharmaceutical performance enhancement program.

Maybe the negative ion generators were there to make them feel better about cheating.