Need technique name help

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay I am having a big time brain fart. I can not remember a technique name, so this will be a real test. I don't remember the name, attack or which belt level it was in. I used to call it the bathroom stall technique but have also heard someone refer to it as the phonebooth technique. I do remember that you are in the stall/booth facing out and then were attacked and reversed yourself so they were inside and you are out.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no idea how to help you unless you describe some movements held within the technique itself. It would also help to know what style Kenpo you are doing.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you thinking of 'Taming the Mace'?

Right punch ...

parry - chop ... throw'em against the wall, knee and elbow ... back kick

p.s. ... obviously, that is an abbreviated explanation :)

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
That sounds familiar and may be it, but as we never practiced it in a stall/booth it never stuck in my mind as that and that was some 10 years ago, but Taming the Mace was one I definately used as a defense with my back to the wall.

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Right punch ...

That's what i was thinking

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Right punch ...

That was my first guess. Allthough I never thought to do it in a bathroom stall. I allways pictured doing it with my back against a wall at a bar.

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see I am making people think about environmental awareness.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may be the hand isolations out of Long Form 4, which are actually out of Circling Windmills or Reversing Circles. Mr. LaBounty's lineage always called it "fighting in a phone booth".

-Michael

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
It may be the hand isolations out of Long Form 4, which are actually out of Circling Windmills or Reversing Circles.
Circling Windmills makes much more sense. I never did like that one. :rolleyes: It just doesn't seem right no matter how much you practice it.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
Glad to see I am making people think about environmental awareness.
Too right RichK, it dictates everything else...... but this "phone booth" thing which I have heard bandied about since the 70s by the "yeh! but in a in a street fight" type of instructor and have never liked...would one be in the phone booth and one out or both in or would you the good guy have his back to the baddy or vice versa, does the Phone Bothh analogy some how give re-assurance to the practitioner...or is it just a kind of imaginary idea to validate the technique....sorry Iam just pondering online.........:idunno:

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Too right RichK, it dictates everything else...... but this "phone booth" thing which I have heard bandied about since the 70s by the "yeh! but in a in a street fight" type of instructor and have never liked...would one be in the phone booth and one out or both in or would you the good guy have his back to the baddy or vice versa, does the Phone Bothh analogy some how give re-assurance to the practitioner...or is it just a kind of imaginary idea to validate the technique....sorry Iam just pondering online.........:idunno:

I agree. in the much antiquated phone booths I think you would more likely be attacked from the rear with a choke or a headlock while the assailant possibly robbed you. I like taming the mace because you start to intentionally use the environment specifically to your advantage, slamming the attacker into the wall, using it as a brace for your knee attack and forearm strike. I think the common environments would be like most others say, just standing against a wall, possible a bus shelter, or even a bathroom stall?

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
what can I say Casey, except I wish I'd written this.

Casey_Sutherland said:
I agree. in the much antiquated phone booths I think you would more likely be attacked from the rear with a choke or a headlock while the assailant possibly robbed you. I like taming the mace because you start to intentionally use the environment specifically to your advantage, slamming the attacker into the wall, using it as a brace for your knee attack and forearm strike. I think the common environments would be like most others say, just standing against a wall, possible a bus shelter, or even a bathroom stall?

Richard:asian:

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
It may be the hand isolations out of Long Form 4, which are actually out of Circling Windmills or Reversing Circles. Mr. LaBounty's lineage always called it "fighting in a phone booth".

-Michael

I mean no disrespect sir but both of those techniques will not alow you and you opponent to switch places. With Circling Windmills you end up about the same place that you started and with Reversing Circles you only further backwards from where you had started.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
I mean no disrespect sir but both of those techniques will not alow you and you opponent to switch places. With Circling Windmills you end up about the same place that you started and with Reversing Circles you only further backwards from where you had started.
Gotcha, my misunderstanding then. I agree with the application you are talking about entirely. It is one of the few that are actually structured for you to "replace" the opponent approximatly where you were. I focused on the "fighting in a phone booth", which I had heard from lots of Seniors including Mr. Parker once. Hew was smiling about it however, and it was in the context of Long 4.

-Michael

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Gotcha, my misunderstanding then. I agree with the application you are talking about entirely. It is one of the few that are actually structured for you to "replace" the opponent approximatly where you were. I focused on the "fighting in a phone booth", which I had heard from lots of Seniors including Mr. Parker once. Hew was smiling about it however, and it was in the context of Long 4.

-Michael

I see. Well if Mr. Parker said it than I must be wrong.