Nearest thing to....

P

pineapple head

Kenpo.

what would you call the nearest thing to Kenpo , a lot of people say Jeet Kun Do.
Would this be so.?????

Hey that rhymes:rolleyes:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by pineapple head
Kenpo.

what would you call the nearest thing to Kenpo , a lot of people say Jeet Kun Do.
Would this be so.?????

Hey that rhymes:rolleyes:

I would say the most closely related would be Kung Fu San Soo.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say the most closely related would be Kung Fu San Soo.
Just wondering why you think this Clyde. (I neither agree nor disagree.... I've had too little contact w/San Soo to be able to make such a valuation.)
Your Brother
John

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Brother John
Just wondering why you think this Clyde. (I neither agree nor disagree.... I've had too little contact w/San Soo to be able to make such a valuation.)
Your Brother
John

My exposure to San Soo left me wondering why they left out the concepts, theories, and only had principles but are a sound self-defense style. They kinda knew what to do but couldn't explain it. San Soo's movement however, is nearly identical to Kenpo, though they like to widen their circles a bit more and leave out the checks.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lima Lama has alot of similarities to kenpo..besides the fact they are both Hawaiian.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting Clyde...
there's a San Soo school a few miles away, I'll have to be a good neighbor and drop in for a visit and see. Thanks.

Ender: (cool name by the way, loved the first book.... couldn't get into the others though) It was my understanding that the creator of modern Lima Lima actually studied Kenpo before L.L.'s inception.
Anyone??

Your Brother
John

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting Clyde...
there's a San Soo school a few miles away, I'll have to be a good neighbor and drop in for a visit and see. Thanks.

Ender: (cool name by the way, loved the first book.... couldn't get into the others though) It was my understanding that the creator of modern Lima Lima actually studied Kenpo before L.L.'s inception.
Anyone??

Your Brother
John

dunno...but i see alot of similar moves...*G

OP
J

jeffkyle

Interesting Clyde...

Anyone??

Your Brother
John

John,

When you go let me know. I will go with you! :)

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of the 6 Original Founders of Limalama, 3 were kenpo stylists. Tino Tuilosega was a black belt under Ed Parker. Richard Nunez and Saul Esquival were black belts under Dan Guzman a 3rd generation Kajukenbo/Kenpo black belt.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you sir...
If you could maybe we could contact each other via Private messages.... cuz I'd like to know more about your interesting art.
Thanks
Your Brother
John

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some empty-hand work from Lameco Escrima and was struck by how "Kenpo-ish" it looked. Made me think the FMA are a good complement for Kenpo. It seems plenty of others feel the same way.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
M

M F

A few months ago, I worked out a little bit with some friends who are Kajukenbo practitoners.(I used to train at their school years ago, but only for a few months.) When one of us would demonstrate a technique or concept or idea, the other would show where it fit in the other system. Everything they showed me was in American Kenpo. Everything I showed them was in Kajukenbo. I mean everything. Now, I am just a 1st Black in AK, so don't get the idea that I think I know everything in AK, because I am well aware that I know next to nothing in the big picture. But there were so many similarities in the concepts, that it is obvious that the roots are very close. And, even though many of the concepts were the same, our styles of movement looked very different at times. Just my $.02 .

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was a blue in kajukenbo before I went into kenpo (I moved). And quite frankly I did not have any difficulty making the transition between the two arts.

My kajukenbo instructor taught a hard version of kaju and it took me a little while to shift to kenpo's softer appearance. The only difference to me was that in my kaju self-defense techniques every single tech had a takedown and a finish on the ground. Not groundfighting, more like a lock or something that looks like the end of Dance of Death. :)

The two arts are very close, more like brothers and sisters than cousins.

Lamont

PS Actually, I also credit kaju with giving me good breakfalls. I have seen alot of kenpo guys that can't take a fall worth spit.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with Blindside. There are 4 main styles (Methods) of Kajukenbo, and a few minor viriations of the 4 styles. In the "Original Kenpo" method the Kenpo techniques of the Chow school make up the heart of the system, with techniques from judo, jujitsu, tang soo do, and kung fu added to enhance the Kenpo.
So, the Kenpo technique would sometimes end with a jujitsu take down or judo throw. Then the rapid fire Kenpo hand strikes continue as the attacked is down.
The jujitsu joint locks and take down are used quite a bit in the "Knife Counters" and "Club Counters" as they are very effective in controlling and dislocating the limb that is holding the weapon.
When people ask me how Kenpo is differant than Kajukenbo. I normally say "Kenpo's like Kajukenbo without the takedowns and throws." And then I point out that SGM Parker and Sijo Emperado had the same teacher.

Latest Discussions