Mythbusters: Ninja myths

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did anyone catch this episode of Mythbusters last night. I watched part of it (DVR'd the rest) and the part I saw was they were trying to figure out if you could catch a katana with you hands when it was being swung down on you head.

Like I said I only caught part of it but it looked like a good one.

B

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
they were mostly testing the "way out there in left feild, anyone with common sense knows they're fake" myths. They got a guy who actually trains in Nin-Jistu to help with some of the myths. Kinda like when they did cutting a sword with a sword, they got a master of one of the differnit Japanese sword styles to help.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw an ad at the movie theatre for the new season of this show and it aid they'd be doing more on ninja stuff (ninja strikes?).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What maybe impossible...sometimes can be possible....

They are many things a human can do...that is unbelieveable.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT?

Wonder where that came from? ....believe it or not!

Aloha, some do make believe too.......or am I watching too, too, many MOVIES?

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sho Kosugi is the man. That is all I have to say about Ninja's !!!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What maybe impossible...sometimes can be possible....

They are many things a human can do...that is unbelieveable.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT?

Wonder where that came from? ....believe it or not!

Aloha, some do make believe too.......or am I watching too, too, many MOVIES?

I understood what he was saying. It must be the medicine I took.

I agree, there are certain things that no matter how unlikely can still happen and can't be recreated in a lab setting.

It reminds me of the episode in which they said Carlos Hathcocks "shooting through the scope" shot in Vietnam was a myth because they couldn't recreate it. Even though the sniper scope is in a museum. Yet, in the same episode they shot two musket balls at each other that were lined up using lasers and said that the myth of two civil war people firing at each other and fusing the bullets was true. It's a good show, but some of the stuff behind it is just bad design/science.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw an ad at the movie theatre for the new season of this show and it aid they'd be doing more on ninja stuff
I also have seen this myth buster add at the show like 3 times this month was thinking of trying to watch it but I can not stand the host of the show.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree, there are certain things that no matter how unlikely can still happen and can't be recreated in a lab setting.

It reminds me of the episode in which they said Carlos Hathcocks "shooting through the scope" shot in Vietnam was a myth because they couldn't recreate it. Even though the sniper scope is in a museum. Yet, in the same episode they shot two musket balls at each other that were lined up using lasers and said that the myth of two civil war people firing at each other and fusing the bullets was true. It's a good show, but some of the stuff behind it is just bad design/science.
They do have a tendency to assume that a myth is "busted" if their methodology doesn't let it work... But it's still fun.

And I still want my own rocket powered, remote control car that you have to chase with a helicopter!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

They actually revisited the Hathcock "myth" after hearing all the howls of protest from the shooting community. The second time they actually did it right and obtained some old soviet scopes of the type that were issued with the Mosin-Nagant rifles (instead of the modern ones they used the first time around). When they did the test they concluded that such a shot was actually possible.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, they really don't have the requirement to do things scientifically, only in an entertaining way - if they mess up an experiment, they simply "revisit" it, and have more subject matter for the show!

(as in, they make more money!)

I saw a picture of two minie balls from Gettysburg that appeared to be fused together - is this not supposed to be possible?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
They actually revisited the Hathcock "myth" after hearing all the howls of protest from the shooting community. The second time they actually did it right and obtained some old soviet scopes of the type that were issued with the Mosin-Nagant rifles (instead of the modern ones they used the first time around). When they did the test they concluded that such a shot was actually possible.

That's good to know. That was one of my big complaints as well. They didn't use the same type of scope/glass lens that he would have made the shot on. But, that still shows that alot of their stuff is bad design/science and they compare alot of apples to oranges to "disprove" stuff.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw a picture of two minie balls from Gettysburg that appeared to be fused together - is this not supposed to be possible?

I guess it would be possible, they "recreated" it. But, my point was they had no verifiable evidence that this happened in the first place other than oral tradition. Plus, they had to use alot of high level equipment to get it to do it even once what are the chances that two guys stood across from each other in the field and shot and they aimed at the exact same spot and trajectory to get their bullets to fuse and in the heat of battle know that's what happened. The point of the other was that they had verifiable evidence, that is they have the actual gun/scope that the shot was made on and they concluded it couldn't happen.

Like I said, some of their designs are flawed and end up comparing apples to oranges when they "bust the myth".

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone catch this episode of Mythbusters last night. I watched part of it (DVR'd the rest) and the part I saw was they were trying to figure out if you could catch a katana with you hands when it was being swung down on you head.

Like I said I only caught part of it but it looked like a good one.

B

Yeah I saw it. It is possible but VERY difficult.

Latest Discussions