Myself doing a Kata

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score

This is a Kata that my old Karate teacher taught me. It's one he came up with himself, and it isn't a pure Karate form. I was going to wear my green belt while doing that, as that was my rank in Karate, but me being well passed my pre-teen days, it didn't fit anymore.
I also had to wear my blue gi top, instead of my black one for the same reason. When watching the video, it looks like I'm doing something kinda off, but I can't quite see what it is. Anyone willing to help?

Last edited by a moderator:

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
nitpick?

your not centrum driven.

overall, a nice coordination, but you are 'externalizing' the movement frame.

regards.

Sabo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First and foremost...I wish I lived wherever that was filmed. :)

I don't understand why you are being hard on yourself. I do not know your art but the Kata is very nice. Being of the TKD background, the only thing I could possibly consider (even on a stretch) is that the striking techniques were more dynamic.

I suggest that you are a typical "artist" and you are your own worst critic. I personally admired your footage.

Thank you for sharing, sir.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knowing nothing of your style, and knowing nothing of the bunkai for the kata you presented, I can only offer that it looked nice, and thanks for presenting it. With the deepest respect, my sensei would have torn me a new one if I used footwork that looked like that. I'm deeply sensitive to it, since my footwork tends to resemble yours - feet splayed apart. In every stance but Seiuchin, my feet have to be parallel or even (Sanchin) turned inwards. I'm told it is impossible to develop a powerful punch or kick from a splayed foot stance (but I am a newbie, take that as such). Thanks for the video!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very nice. The only comment I have is that some of the techniques could be a bit sharper/more forceful. Thanks for sharing. : )

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanl you for shareing that clip

Now to nick pick:
You back foot is often not set during your strikes . It also tends to be set on the toes not on the whole foot. I see a lot of the feet also moving while striking. Your movement do not always seem smooth and many of the techniques seem to be cut short.
Ok that s only my view of things as I would access the form if I where judging it in a tournament.
Not knowing your style I do not know if any of what I said above is correct or not according to what you where taught.
Still an interesting form and thanks for sharing it

OP
I

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the comments. This was done in my sifu's backyard. He has a bit of a green thumb, so he has several different types of plants. I'm planning on making more videos, and posting them here. A few more forms maybe. Not sure, but I want to mix it up. This form also does have a name, if anyone was curious about that but the name is in Swahili, and I couldn't spell it if my life depended on it. Maybe if I try and sound it out......
Mo-en-do-em-be-lee.
Hope that's pronounceable.

Latest Discussions