My skydiving video

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I finally got my YouTube account working, and uploaded a few videos, including my skydive back in September 2000. Probably the craziest thing I've ever done in my life, but I would go again in an instant. ;)

Anywho...here is a link to the video for your enjoyment (or amusement):

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice jump!

Now... when are you gonna go solo?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many jumps have you done since your tandem jump in the video? It must have been very exhilarating! What were your thoughts when you were freefalling?

- Ceicei

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did a tandem jump about in August '01 (I think)... a gift from my wife for my 35th birthday ... I think your video is a bit cooler than mine. I'm sure I was about as nervous, although at the time, I didn't think I was nervous.

It was a lot of fun. The harness was a bit uncomfortable ... and I'm not sure the ride was worth the price.

I have not gone back and I don't think I will.

It was fun to watch you, and relive my jump. Thank you.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for sharing.

In the first two minutes when the video shows other people with props, it had me wondering when we may see you doing a sword form while skydiving. :) Afterall, how much more dangerous would that be than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happy Swordlady, now probably hopelessly hooked to the idea of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. :D I can appreciate what you're going through.

I've a friend who did it once, twice, three times ... then bought his own rig and logged over 200 jumps in one summer... the nut! That was several years ago of course... last I heard he was working in Vegas tandem jumping with customers and running a simulator along the strip.

Addicting? Oh my hell yes it is. I've yet to do it but hope to some day...

Enjoy and hope to see more vids of you jumping.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually...to answer a few questions at once, that was my first and only jump. I would love to do another jump or two, but I doubt that I will be able to go solo without the proper training. In order to jump solo, I would have to take a six (I think?) hour course - which costs a few hundred dollars(!) And I would still have to get my own parachute, rig, and jumpsuit - which could easily cost a few thousand dollars. I would love to go through that training course and become a certified jumper, but I don't have the funds for it. Skydiving is a VERY expensive hobby.

I think the scariest part was the initial jump out of the airplane. If my instructor didn't jump immediately out of the plane, I might've clung to the sides of the door and changed my mind! Freefalling is a surreal experience. I didn't really feel like I was falling, but...man, it was scary. All I heard was air rushing through my ears. I couldn't even hear myself scream, or even think. And as all of you saw in the video, I was screaming on top of my lungs during the initial freefall. When the chute opened, I felt like we were shot straight into the air. After it fully opened, we drifted peacefully several thousand feet above the ground. That was cool! I wasn't scared anymore, and enjoyed the feeling of soaring above the ground. We drifted downwards for a good 5-6 minutes before landing. I didn't do the land myself; I held my feet up and allowed my instructor to take the impact of the landing. There is a specific way to hit the ground; otherwise, you might break an ankle or foot.

Most everything I'm interested in is expensive (martial arts, swords, videography, etc). I really need to find some cheaper hobbies - lol.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
After it fully opened, we drifted peacefully several thousand feet above the ground. That was cool! I wasn't scared anymore, and enjoyed the feeling of soaring above the ground. We drifted downwards for a good 5-6 minutes before landing.
Congratulations... now you know how an Eagle feels soaring on thermals at a leisurely pace.

Swordlady said:
Most everything I'm interested in is expensive (martial arts, swords, videography, etc). I really need to find some cheaper hobbies - lol.
I'd recommend caving but the inital investment is pretty pricey... beyond that it's relatively cheap... after you have your gear and everything... it's just the cost of gas, batteries and food. ... Oh well. :D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well atleast you did it not me not at all or all the money in the world.
Terry

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is very cool Jennifer. I can see how it would be an addicting experience. Nice job on video too, very well done. :asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed it... but I'm with the group that sees no reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane - and I hope to never need to jump out of airplane!

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
That is very cool Jennifer. I can see how it would be an addicting experience. Nice job on video too, very well done. :asian:

Thanks. By the way, I wasn't the one who edited the video. That cost another $80 dollars (also included the pictures). Getting the video and pictures is practically mandatory for the first jump. I spent about $200 for the jump - and it was worth every penny. :D

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Skydiving sounds like fun! Part of me wants to do that, the other part doesn't... I'm glad you had fun!

Latest Discussions