Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Raw-power. :)

D

Deleted member 39746

why ? they should ideally be in lbs per inch or Newton meters, if you measuring force or joules if you measuring energy

which ever you can understand and picture the number to a force is the best. Like with any unit, i personally can only see Psi yet were taught newtons, weird as hell i know.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some context for those numbers? I have no idea if they are impressive or not.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some context for those numbers? I have no idea if they are impressive or not.
get you bath room scale and punch it, notice the deflection in kg, then you have a point of reference, as though his pad is nice to look at, its only really a bathroom scale screwed to the wall

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont fully get how this works, but im assuming its measuring punching power.

Why are some strikes so much more powerful then others? Ard you purposefully feathering your punches? If so, fine. If not, you might want to focus on getting them all consistent. That wouls be a cool way to check my own consistency-might have to make my own.

OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
why ? they should ideally be in lbs per inch or Newton meters, if you measuring force or joules if you measuring energy

It will depend on the region. EU prefers kilograms, US prefers pounds. Both are supported.

OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
get you bath room scale and punch it, notice the deflection in kg, then you have a point of reference, as though his pad is nice to look at, its only really a bathroom scale screwed to the wall

Actually that is not so simple. You need fast sensor with 500+ kilogram (1100+ pounds), smooth the signal and detect the peak.

OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont fully get how this works, but im assuming its measuring punching power.

Why are some strikes so much more powerful then others? Ard you purposefully feathering your punches? If so, fine. If not, you might want to focus on getting them all consistent. That wouls be a cool way to check my own consistency-might have to make my own.

Yes, you are right. Consistency is important - especially during the whole round. BUT you have to consider a few factors:
1) fatigue and exhaustion
2) different punches > jab -VS- cross -VS- body blows
3) body position > safe distance -VS- target penetration

About the numbers. No, the are not impressive. Most of my "good" strikes are around 100 kg (220 lb). My hardest strikes can reach over 250 kg (550 lb). Of course, professional athlet can strike harder! But thanks to feedback I adapt my training.

If you like this device, you can find more information here: RAW-POWER.EU - Force Sensor for Martial Arts

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually that is not so simple. You need fast sensor with 500+ kilogram (1100+ pounds), smooth the signal and detect the peak.
I'm not doubting the quality or accuracy of the device, what I'm trying to understand is what it's measuring, so I could do comparison with stated punching power measured on other devices.

as its giving a read out in kg,it seems to me its measuring effective mass and not force energy or power, that would make it useful fOr measuring your own progress against ann arbitrary number or for comparison with some one using the same equipment. but not at all if I googled " power ,, force of a boxers punch

as energy is a half times mass timed acceleration, then in very round termsy( if you ignore acceleration or assume out to be one metre per second per second) your device will read twice as high as the actual energy generated, which seems to be the case by the numbers your getting in that vid, as a very good punch has circa 150 joules of energy so your 100 kg punch is circa 50 joules a your 250 kg one 125

Last edited:
OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not doubting the quality or accuracy of the device, what I'm trying to understand is what it's measuring, so I could do comparison with stated punching power measured on other devices.

it seems to me its measuring effective mass and not either force or power, that would make it useful fOr measuring your own progress against ann arbitrary number or for comparison with some one using the same equipment. but not at all if I googled " power ,, force of a boxers punch

as energy is a half times mass timed acceleration, then in very round termsy( if you ignore acceleration) your device will read twice as high as the actual energy generated, which seems to be the case by the numbers your getting in that vid, as a good punch has circa 150 joules ( watts ) of energy so your 100 kg punch is circa 50 joules a your 250 kg one 125

You have a very good point! In terms of physics, the best value would be N (Newton). But you would have to have extra accelerometers for trajectory and velocity and count with contact surface of the fist (and do not use gloves at all). It is complicated to measure and difficult to understand.

The RAW-POWER Force Sensor displays numbers in kilograms / pounds. You are right - it is not a value of the force BUT you need a force to build these numbers! It is the impact force that acts on the impact surface. Imagine - if the impact surface will be your head than your head will suffer from THIS force. With bare hands, you can reach higher numbers than with gloves - it is true because gloves reduce impact force (for this reason you will sparring with 16oz gloves or higher to prevent the injury). It is not the same as other products based on accelerometers! With this kind of products you can "cheat" because you are able to swing very fast with your hand but with low impact force. The real force of the strike is based on the correct stance, body movement and weight transfer, speed, strengs, timing ... Such the force is measured by the RAW-POWER Force Sensor and displayed in measureable unit which is easy to understand for most people - easily verifiable and comparable. No fictional units or unmeaning digits as other products.

Thanks.

OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does MT know your trying to sell this here?

I am not selling it because actually it does not exist. What you see is the prototype which I would like to present on the crowfunding page in the future. Here I am looking for experienced people to rate it - whether they would welcome such a device.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have a very good point! In terms of physics, the best value would be N (Newton). But you would have to have extra accelerometers for trajectory and velocity and count with contact surface of the fist (and do not use gloves at all). It is complicated to measure and difficult to understand.

The RAW-POWER Force Sensor displays numbers in kilograms / pounds. You are right - it is not a value of the force BUT you need a force to build these numbers! It is the impact force that acts on the impact surface. Imagine - if the impact surface will be your head than your head will suffer from THIS force. With bare hands, you can reach higher numbers than with gloves - it is true because gloves reduce impact force (for this reason you will sparring with 16oz gloves or higher to prevent the injury). It is not the same as other products based on accelerometers! With this kind of products you can "cheat" because you are able to swing very fast with your hand but with low impact force. The real force of the strike is based on the correct stance, body movement and weight transfer, speed, strengs, timing ... Such the force is measured by the RAW-POWER Force Sensor and displayed in measureable unit which is easy to understand for most people - easily verifiable and comparable. No fictional units or unmeaning digits as other products.

Thanks.
no mate it not measuring force at all, you admit as much in your opening line and then continue to use the term incorrectly for the rest of you missive.

it gives a number for comparison, but that number is not " force" that's aside from the fact its called a power meter and doesn't measure power either and if it did measure force ( which it doesn't)it still wouldn't be a power metre

I'm not sure what the laws are on false representation are in your jurisdiction, but in the uk selling a power meter that doesn't measure power would leave you open to criminal sanction

OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
no mate it not measuring force at all, you admit as much in your opening line and then continue to use the term incorrectly for the rest of you missive.

it gives a number for comparison, but that number is not " force" that's aside from the fact its called a power meter and doesn't measure power either and if it did measure force ( which it doesn't)it still wouldn't be a power metre

I'm not sure what the laws are on false representation are in your jurisdiction, but in the uk selling a power meter that doesn't measure power would leave you open to criminal sanction

Yes, it measure the force. I explained it in the previous post. It is about how you look at that power (or force). Moreover, your statement is wrong - please look here because I do not want to retype it here: Force - Wikipedia

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it measure the force. I explained it in the previous post. It is about how you look at that power (or force). Moreover, your statement is wrong - please look here because I do not want to retype it here: Force - Wikipedia
no you clearly said it doesn't measure " a value of force" and it doesn't, you cant just settle on a definition of force that doesn't include the formula f force because it serves your purpose

it's common on here for people to become mixed up and use various terms interchangeably whilst ignoring newton however your selling measuring instruments and its beholden on you to clearing represent what hey measure

OP
R

raw-power.eu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
no you clearly said it doesn't measure " a value of force" and it doesn't, you cant just settle on a definition of force that doesn't include the formula f force because it serves your purpose

it's common on here for people to become mixed up and use various terms interchangeably whilst ignoring newton however your selling measuring instruments and its beholden on you to clearing represent what hey measure

Please, can you quote where I said it does not measure "a value of force"?
I recommend you to read Wikipedia first because you clearly do not understand what force is. You are definitely wrong.

Latest Discussions