My first break

Woodbutcher

White Belt
Reaction score
Coming up for my Orange belt testing and I have to do a break. I was sort of hoping I'd have to do a 540 degree spinning kick breaking 3 seperate concrete slabs (on fire), but alas....its a simple side kick.

We've only practiced in class once so far and I SUCK at the breaks. I'm not hitting with my heal (flexibility?) and I think I'm not snapping fast enough. Instead I seem to be putting all my force into 'pushing'.

We've practiced on the fake boards that progressively break (unlike real wood). I don't know if I'm going to be tested on the fake wood or the real deal. Can anyone give me some encouraging words or guidance as I'm feeling VERY aprehensive about it.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
Flexibility doesn't have much to do with being able to kick with your heel, being able to kick with your heel is a matter of foot position. Also if you only have to break one board, you should be able to do it without kicking precisely with your heel, the side of your foot would work as well.
One thing I recommend you do is make sure to adjust the height and angle of the board to your liking.
After doing that, get adjusted by taking one practice kick to adjust your body position is relation to the board. But try to only take one practice kick.
Once you are adjusted (board and body), now it's time to visualize. A good technique to do is to look at a point beyond the boards. Reason being is that you don't want to just kick the boards, you want to go through them, so visualize a point beyond the boards and that's what you're aiming for.
When you're ready, take a deep breath and go! Good luck

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll leave advice on the mechanics of breaking for someone more in the know than I am. :eek: A couple other of suggestions though..

If you don't think your sahbum-nim is spending enough class time on breaking...talk to him/her privately about this. He/she may be planning on doing more work later on, or suggestions for practicing privately, etc. Money is tight for a lot of people right now but perhaps purchasing some rebreakable boards would be an option?

When I first began my martial arts training a few years ago, I was having the hardest time landing a roundhouse kick. I mentioned this to my teachers as well as a couple of the other black belts in class. One of the black belts offered to stay with me after class to work on my round kicks. She came up with a way of describing the kick that finally made the light turn on in my brain, and gave me a good way to practice them. I didn't succeed at properly landing a round kick that day, but I was able to finally land one not long after that. I guess what I'm trying to say is...don't be afraid to reach out to the black belts at your school as well.

Hang in there and keep training! :asian:

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keep practising your side kick at home and try to make sure that you've got your foot in the correct position and that you are pivoting correctly on the supporting leg. If you're not 100% sure what you should be doing with your hips or your foot or anything else connected with the kick then ask your instructor or a senior grade to help you out.

Flexibility won't necessarily help you with your breaking, but if your tendons/muscles are very tight it might mean that you've not go enough flexibility to make the correct foot position to be able to break the board. A little stretching every day (making sure you've warmed up beforehand!) will help your flexibility and that will help in other areas of your martial arts training as well.

Finally, get someone at home to hold up a piece of paper or card the size of the board you will be breaking. Practise getting your leg in the correct shape and at the correct distance to knock it out of the holder's hand (as though you had broken the board and gone through it). That way you will be able to know the distance and the stance you should be in for when you do the 'real thing' as often people can't break boards (even re-breakables) because they are too close or too far away from the target and can't generate enough power.

Good luck with the break and with your test! Remember, if you've any worries or questions to ask your instructor or a higher grade than you. They've been in your situation before and will be able to give good advice. :)

Latest Discussions