My first ba gua class!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so last night was my introductory class! I think the sensei said it's yin- but she said it all fast, and my brain was still trying to process all she said before hand, plus the way she pronounced it threw me off... It was great, in my opinion. We started off with rhinocerous (unicorn) stretching, then the lion, plus the shakes that are for each of those two. I felt kind of funny with the shakes, but we're not going into what I felt like. Anyways, after those, we moved into a couple of walks. It was hard to think of how to do the mud walk at first, but later it wasn't too hard. From there, we did a palm change- really cool...

So, now I have a question that's bugging me. I don't want to seem rude, but I want to ask her what style it is, or if there's some pamphlet or something that she can give me. I don't want to come out sounding like, "prove to me this is legit" or something. I just like knowing some history of what I'm getting into.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so last night was my introductory class! I think the sensei said it's yin- but she said it all fast, and my brain was still trying to process all she said before hand, plus the way she pronounced it threw me off... It was great, in my opinion. We started off with rhinocerous (unicorn) stretching, then the lion, plus the shakes that are for each of those two. I felt kind of funny with the shakes, but we're not going into what I felt like. Anyways, after those, we moved into a couple of walks. It was hard to think of how to do the mud walk at first, but later it wasn't too hard. From there, we did a palm change- really cool...

So, now I have a question that's bugging me. I don't want to seem rude, but I want to ask her what style it is, or if there's some pamphlet or something that she can give me. I don't want to come out sounding like, "prove to me this is legit" or something. I just like knowing some history of what I'm getting into.

It's nice to see someone else joining the bagua ranks. I hope you have a good experience. As to what style it is, there's a whole raft of Yin bagua styles and sub-styles, so I'd just ask. It 's just curiosity after all. I think most teachers are happy to answer questions from people who are genuinely interested. But be warned you might get a much bigger answer than you are expecting.

Isn't mud-walking fun! Step and slide, step and slide, and around we go!!

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's nice to see someone else joining the bagua ranks. I hope you have a good experience. As to what style it is, there's a whole raft of Yin bagua styles and sub-styles, so I'd just ask. It 's just curiosity after all. I think most teachers are happy to answer questions from people who are genuinely interested. But be warned you might get a much bigger answer than you are expecting.

Isn't mud-walking fun! Step and slide, step and slide, and around we go!!

Thanks for your input! I liked mud- walking, but a girl in the class doesn't care for it too much- she's been doing it for a year though... I also like the class, because it's small, although- I talked to a lady in my TKD class tonight, and she might be interested in trying it out!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I liked mud- walking, but a girl in the class doesn't care for it too much- she's been doing it for a year though... I also like the class, because it's small, although- I talked to a lady in my TKD class tonight, and she might be interested in trying it out!

Small classes are good. The teacher can address everyone in a personal fashion. Having experienced classes of 30-40 people and teaching groups of 5-10, I can tell you which I prefer. Getting a friend to come along is a great idea too, especially if there is any partnered circle-walking.

When I first started bagua I learned a different stepping method. It involved placing the heel down first and then lowering the rest of the foot. The funny thing is that when it is done with any sort of speed, it looks a lot like the more classical mud-walking. Kinda weird.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Watch out or you will end up like me.

I was TKD once and now nothing but CMA.

But I started with Taiji then went to Bagua and a little later Xingyi.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So glad you enjoyed the class Kerri! I learned a little bagua when I training Sil Lum. My Sil Lum sifu had extensive training in Tai Chi and bagua as well, and would often bring elements of the styles, or demonstrations, into our training time. So, I was able to get a taste of various things but didn't actually *train* them.

As XS said, you could soon become a convert. ;)

Keep us posted on your class. :asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, better quit now while you can, before the Curse Of Perpetual Curiosity takes hold of you and you end up like Xue and I. Before you know it, you'll be doing EVERYTHING, AND IT WILL MAKE YOU CRAZY!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with asking what style of Ba gua you are doing. I recall wondering the linerage of Dragon style Ba gua with a little research I found out. I think knowing where the style came from helps the student understand why the person who founded that style does things a little differently compared to other styles. I would find it odd if a teacher refused to say what style I spoke to one person who just said "we do Ba gua" and would not say any more on styles.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watch out or you will end up like me.

I was TKD once and now nothing but CMA.

But I started with Taiji then went to Bagua and a little later Xingyi.

As XS said, you could soon become a convert. ;)

Keep us posted on your class. :asian:

yeah, better quit now while you can, before the Curse Of Perpetual Curiosity takes hold of you and you end up like Xue and I. Before you know it, you'll be doing EVERYTHING, AND IT WILL MAKE YOU CRAZY!

No real strong chances in that happening, unless I want to travel almost an hour each way... Although, the same lady that teaches Ba gua, also teaches tai chi...

Oh, and by the way- I'm already somewhat crazy...

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first started bagua I learned a different stepping method. It involved placing the heel down first and then lowering the rest of the foot. The funny thing is that when it is done with any sort of speed, it looks a lot like the more classical mud-walking. Kinda weird.

We started off at first, with planting one foot before lifting the other. Like the mud- walking, but no slide with the back foot. It was kind of like I was trying to keep the tiles (boards in my case) down with each step. I think I was eventually doing the mud- walking, when I was watching the instructor.

The only thing I wished, was that it was more than once a week. That's what practicing at home is for, right?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No real strong chances in that happening, unless I want to travel almost an hour each way... Although, the same lady that teaches Ba gua, also teaches tai chi...

you never know just what might grab hold of you...
icon12.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

HA!!

My first CMA class I drove 1 hour each way sometimes 4 and 5 times a week and now I drive 30 minutes for my Taiji Sifu and my Sanda Sifu is an HOUR away and I am going to go to BEIJING to train next year so your feeble excuses of to far WILL not help... You could be DOOMED to be a belt-less CMA person that is Cursed with Perpetual Curiosity ..... To quote Flying Crane

Welcome to the dark side :EG:

Enjoy, it is great stuff :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side :EG:

Enjoy, it is great stuff :)

and remember: it doesn't mean you have to abandon what you have already done. You just need to figure out where it all has a place. That can sometimes take some time and effort, so just be prepared for that.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
and remember: it doesn't mean you have to abandon what you have already done. You just need to figure out where it all has a place. That can sometimes take some time and effort, so just be prepared for that.

This is true, to be honest, and just between you and me.... don't tell anybody this.... but I stopped TKD because of a sever back injury and years later I returned to Taiji with the hope that I could return to TKD later. But you know I just fell in love with the CMA stuff and here I am years later still CMA.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, if a Wing Chun school ever came closer, I might check it out. I've been interested in that too. However, I really like my TKD...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, if a Wing Chun school ever came closer, I might check it out. I've been interested in that too. However, I really like my TKD...

Yup... your cursed....

now stare deeply at the screen and repeat after me

CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.

:uhyeah:

Now you see. The bug has bitten and you can never go back!!

And you have to believe Steel Tiger... he IS a Bagua guy.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup... your cursed....

now stare deeply at the screen and repeat after me

CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.
CMA is my future.

:uhyeah:

And you have to believe Steel Tiger... he IS a Bagua guy.

LOL! You're doomed Kerri, you're doomed!!!! MUWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Join the crowd.

The thing with Chinese arts is that there are many of them, they are very interesting and often unique, and many teachers of Chinese arts have studied several different ones and therefor teach them. It's kind of like a big trap, it sucks you in, and before you know it you are doing two or three external arts, plus tai chi and maybe some other internals like bagua or xing-yi. And they all complement each other nicely, and there is less of a notion that they need to be separate and can't be practiced together. and there are lots of cool things like weapons, of all varieties, things you don't see in other arts.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds like fun and a good work out. The mud walking sounds like it would give one great legs and glutes. Maybe work the abs,too?

Latest Discussions