My Dojo in the Newspaper!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This happened while I was on vacation in NC, so I just found out about it. Couple of nice photos and a picture of my sensei. It's a cool place.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/06/29/news/local_news/doc4a4882b95bfcd258357215.txt

doc4a4882b95bfcd2583572151.jpg

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice article. Your Sensei seems like a really nice guy.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice article! That's what it's all about, giving back to the community and to those that are the future of mankind (women kind too :) )

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill it is nice to see some of us old timer still doing it for the love and not money.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
VERY cool! That looks like a wonderful place to train. Thanks for sharing that :asian:

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was a really good article. Being in the news like that is a hundred times better than just running an ad. I would enroll in that school FAR faster than I would some other one that just ran an advertisement.

AoG

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations to your school and your teacher Bill.

The picture provided looks like the older guy is going to smack the kid in the back of the head.

The article presents Mr. Holloway as a good teacher I really enjoyed this:

I’m one of the rare instructors in the country where I probably promoted 50 black belts in 30 years of dojo (karate school) operation,” Holloway said, adding that some professional karate schools will hand students black belts in as little as 15 months.

I get the impression that your teacher and you Bill have similar personalities? I mean a tough no BS kinda of guy with a big heart.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get the impression that your teacher and you Bill have similar personalities? I mean a tough no BS kinda of guy with a big heart.

Hey, thanks - I don't know about 'tough' but I guess I'm sort of 'no BS', eh?

I like my sensei a lot. I can't believe how fortunate I've been to find this dojo - and just a mile from my apartment! I absolutely love the camaraderie and sense of belonging I get there. People ask how you are and listen to your reply - how rare is that? I think I'd want to keep going there if it suddenly became a tiddly-winks club, just for the friends I've made.

Latest Discussions