Must...Resist...Again...And Again

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I threw out the smokes this morning. Got my mints and cleaned out all the ashtrays.

now, my brain says i'm stupid and my lungs feel funny.

and it's only the first day.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I threw out the smokes this morning. Got my mints and cleaned out all the ashtrays.

now, my brain says i'm stupid and my lungs feel funny.

and it's only the first day.

Hang in there, it's worth it. I quit six years ago. Wish I had never started.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There hasn't been a day in the last 20 when I didn't wish I'd never started.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only an egg I hope you are able to resist any temptation stay the course.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My friend who quit last year had to cough up brown phlegm for 6 months. His doctor said that's because he smoked for 40 years and it took that long to clear the gunk out. I hope you'd been smoking for less than that :). My best wishes and good thoughts for you!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first three days are a screaming terror, my friend. That's when your body is handling the physical withdrawal. The first week is pretty evil too. The first month is learning how to cope with the psychological habituation and the first year getting those displacement habits ingrained.

After that it's easier. But noone of us who has quit will kid you that it is an easy thing to succeed at. I always say that ex-smokers are like alcoholics 'on the wagon' ... we just haven't had a smoke today.

I've been quit for seven years or so and there are still some days when I find it hard. That's because our brain chemistry has been permanently altered - we have more and more sensitive receptors for nicotine and will always have their 'demands' to overcome and resist. The good news is that most of the time they stay quiescent and don't bother us :D.

Last edited:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Dad, who will hopefully turn 72 this year, has emphysema. He stopped smoking 10 years ago, but after smoking for 50 year I guess a certain amount of damage was done. The only reason he is still alive today to enjoy his grandchildren is because he quit 10 years ago. Had he continued, he would have been gone already.

Keep going, and never, ever give up.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you Jim. Hang in, I quit many years ago and am very glad I did.
icon14.gif

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dad, who is kind of a nut bar, quit smoking in his 30's and says he'll start again when he turns 75

of all my family, I tried cigarettes but of all my family i am the only one who didnt take it up. my parents quit when they were younger the only one im not sure about is my bro.

My 4th kyu brown belt friend smokes like a chimney top and still does shotokan. I have no idea how she does it.

I applaud your quitting and really hope for your success.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As an ex smoker, I find it disgusting that some people's gi smells like smoke...

...because than I want to have one myself.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My sensei smoke, actually. I always found it odd.

First, I have never trained with a Sifu who smoked...but

In Beijing I watched 3 older gentlemen doing some rather impressive Yang Style Taijiquan (actually the only impressive Yang style I saw when I was there) and when they were done I was going to go talk with them... but as soon as they stopped...they all took out cigarettes and began smoking.... I thought that was rather odd

Good luck, hang in there you can do it... but it ain't easy...or so I've been told ;)

Latest Discussions