Muay Thai via a travel grant?

craznhorse

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Vincent, and I am a 21-year-old college student in Los Angeles, CA. I came across this forum while doing research for a travel fellowship I am applying for called the Watson Fellowship. Basically I am competing for a grant to travel anywhere outside the United States to do a personal project of my own choosing.

I have been very passionate about martial arts ever since I began training in Shotokan Karate three years ago. I have since then also picked up a little bit of Kokikai Aikido. I am interested in learning about martial arts around the world, not only for my own training enrichment, but more importantly to understand how they affect the various people who practice martial arts as a lifelong endeavor. I am especially interested in Muay Thai because of 1) its overlap in technique with aspects of karate, 2) its distinct rituals and cultural significance as a national sport, and 3) its origin in a country that I have never visited but would like to learn more about!

Since I have the opportunity to go anywhere I choose, it would be possible for me to travel to Thailand and study Muay Thai at its source. I would like to ask for the help of the international MT community in this pursuit. I appreciate any advice, references, warnings, suggestions, or encouragement you may have for me. In particular, how feasible is it for a Chinese-American to train and study Muay Thai in Thailand for 1-3 months? I would have some grant money available for lodging/food/training/travel, but I would also be interested in doing some kind of live-in or work arrangement if possible. I am just trying to get some preliminary perspective... it is still very early in the application process. Thank you!!

Best wishes,
-Vincent

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problem training in Thailand for 1-3 months. People from all walks of life are going abroad to further their knowledge and training. There are many gyms throughout Thailand that cater to the tourist, but also there are gyms specifically for the fighter. Fairtex offers both aspects of training and has a very good reputation. If you want "old style" muay thai, check out the Muay Chaiya Foundation north of Bangkok. Kru Preang teaches the Muay Chaiya form of muay Thai there. Even if you end up at a resort area the muay thai is still good. Good luck and just so you know, we all wish we could go to Thailand for a few months, or at least I do.

Latest Discussions