Muay Thai Kickboxing (Getting Started)

jpduk

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in starting to learn muay thai mainly to improve my general fitness and will get some self defence out of it aswell., I have found a local gym that I can go to.

My only concern is I am not a fighter, if somebody was to throw a punch at me I would flinch and put my hands in the way, I take it this is a natural thing to do for a first time novice & hopefully with training & practice the flinching thing would go away ??

Thanks for your help

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in starting to learn muay thai mainly to improve my general fitness and will get some self defence out of it aswell., I have found a local gym that I can go to.

My only concern is I am not a fighter, if somebody was to throw a punch at me I would flinch and put my hands in the way, I take it this is a natural thing to do for a first time novice & hopefully with training & practice the flinching thing would go away ??

Thanks for your help

Yep. Perfectly natural and it will improve with time and practice.

wild thunder02

White Belt
Reaction score
The more you train the less of an problem it is. Give it a couple months and you should be fine.

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
You have to callous your body in any martial art but Muay Thai can be a bit tougher than most because of the heavy striking emphasis. The shins are the hardest part. You wont be doing any hard sparring until your skill level reaches a certain point but when you do you will be comfortable

Latest Discussions