Moving over from Traditional Kenpo

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone made the move from traditional Kenpo to Kajukenbo?

Was it a hard change? Any insight is appreciated :supcool:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I moved from Kaju to Tracy's Kenpo and then continued training in kaju for several additional years due to a seasonal living arrangement. So assuming that you mean "traditional kenpo" as a Parker kenpo derivitive, the remainder of this post should make some sort of sense.

The transition should be pretty straight forward, in general the forms are easier, or at least less complex than the equivalent level kenpo form. The techniques are about equivelent and you'll see lots of overlap. For example the first kaju punch defenses use the gunting (scissors action) seen in Taming the Mace/Spinning the Log/Reversing Wind, or Kimono Grab containing the motions of two of the Kaju grab "tricks." All in all, you can pretty much graft most of the punch or grab techniques from what you have in your Kenpo. Most kaju lineages use a different assumption on punching as they assume a boxer style cross rather than a karate lunge punch, the Kaju punch defenses also often deal with jab/cross combos.

My move was from a kajukenbo-kenpo (Original Kajukenbo) lineage to a Tracy Kenpo lineage, and the transition was very natural. I could see greater problems if you switched to one of the more kung-fuish Kaju branches (Chuan Fa, Won Hop Kuen Do, Tum Pai).

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I do plan on going between the two styles as I progress. I don't want to give up my Kenpo.

So as you guys went back and forth there were no problems with getting back into the stances or were they pretty close to the same? I'm just a little worried as I took TKD for roughly a year and then came back to Kenpo. For the first few months my coordination was messed up. I'm hoping not to have to retrain my muscle memory and KJKB seemed to be the closest to what I've been doing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So as you guys went back and forth there were no problems with getting back into the stances or were they pretty close to the same? I'm just a little worried as I took TKD for roughly a year and then came back to Kenpo. For the first few months my coordination was messed up. I'm hoping not to have to retrain my muscle memory and KJKB seemed to be the closest to what I've been doing.

Thats a good question, as I recall, my Kaju instructor never really emphasized stances very much, certainly not as much as my Tracy or AK instructors. Which isn't to say that this basic was unimportant, it may be that my stancework was already appropriate for what they were doing so they didn't correct it. In general I would say that their front stance is a little wider than the AK forward bow, and their fighting stance is similarly a bit wider than the neutral bow, but nothing like the TKD walking stance.

Where are you in Idaho?

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where are you in Idaho?

In a little town called Rathdrum, not too far from Spokane WA/ Coeur d' Alene ID. I see your profile says Kennewick. I've got an uncle that lives there in the tri-cities, I always end up driving through there on my way to Portland.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
In a little town called Rathdrum, not too far from Spokane WA/ Coeur d' Alene ID. I see your profile says Kennewick. I've got an uncle that lives there in the tri-cities, I always end up driving through there on my way to Portland.

If you are in the area, give me a heads up. You can jump in a class and I'll try to hit you with a stick or something.

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are in the area, give me a heads up. You can jump in a class and I'll try to hit you with a stick or something.

Heck yeah! I won't be traveling anytime soon though with the weather getting colder.

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
seninoniwashi,

Just curious; what's motivating you to transition from EPAK to Kajukenbo?

Unfortunately I'd prefer not to give details but it's a combination of my schools location and some stuff going on locally. I don't plan on quiting EPAK Kenpo - just taking a break :asian: