Motorcycle problems

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My 1983 Kawasaki KZ 440 LTD died. Seizure, for darn sure. I don't have the means to get it to a shop yet. I was wondering if anyone knows
What usually dies when the engine seizes, and is rebuilding typically possible on an old bike?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Zen and the art of motorcycles.

Motorcycle engine seize - Your rings and pistons become one with the cylinders.

As for is it fixable, I don't know. I have seen an old 2-cyl 650 Yamaha seize and hardly much repair was necessary. I have seen a 4-cyl 750 Suzuki seize and that was all she wrote. Depends on the cylinders.

Sorry I can't be of more help or have better news. If it is any consolation, back in the old days you could just about rebuild anything.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
My 1983 Kawasaki KZ 440 LTD died. Seizure, for darn sure. I don't have the means to get it to a shop yet. I was wondering if anyone knows
What usually dies when the engine seizes, and is rebuilding typically possible on an old bike?

I'd also like to add that on a bike that old, unless you are really attached to the bike, get a different one. often you can find and aged one for 1k or so in decent shape... Your prolly gonna pay like that to fix it anyhow.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I'd also like to add that on a bike that old, unless you are really attached to the bike, get a different one. often you can find and aged one for 1k or so in decent shape... Your prolly gonna pay like that to fix it anyhow.

Actually yeah, I'm looking at a new motor honestly. I found one on ebay I could snatch up for 300 shipping included. (40cc less but hey the price is right). If it's possible, I might put this brain to use and figure out how to install the sucker myself, or hire the hack down the street to do it.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Actually yeah, I'm looking at a new motor honestly. I found one on ebay I could snatch up for 300 shipping included. (40cc less but hey the price is right). If it's possible, I might put this brain to use and figure out how to install the sucker myself, or hire the hack down the street to do it.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/173777421.html

There it is, lol. My plea for help.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:

Doing a complete engine install is a nightmare unless you have all the proper tools and a lift to get the frame off the ground..It's NO FUN squatting down attempting to slide it into place or sitting on the ground and attempting the same feat.
I'm with Technopunk unless you have a special attachment you can find older bikes in great shape for a little cash and a lot less hassle...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Drac said:
Doing a complete engine install is a nightmare unless you have all the proper tools and a lift to get the frame off the ground..It's NO FUN squatting down attempting to slide it into place or sitting on the ground and attempting the same feat.
I'm with Technopunk unless you have a special attachment you can find older bikes in great shape for a little cash and a lot less hassle...

I have to agree with Drac and Technopunk

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So anyhow, I put up my craigslist ad.

And I got a response! Someone is selling an old Kawi 440 LTD. Hooray. It has some body damage, salvage title, no headlight, but I'm going to see if I can get it pretty cheap.

My thoughts so far.. Why pay to have 2 engines removed, 1 engine installed and to rent a uhaul? I can just start myself a little motorcycle frankenstein project and create a monster! I did all sorts of slick painting that I'd like to keep. And my tires, battery and numerous other things are like new.

Here's my next question.. I don't want to end up with a lemon. When I check this bike out, what am I looking for? When I peer under the bike, what do I peer at?

And how the hell do I get the wheels and gas tank off this thing?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check e-Bay for a repair manual for the make and year of your bike..Make sure its not the owners manual which won't be a lot of help to you..I am not considered a great mechanic, but with my repair manual I've been able to do 90% of my own work..Keep us posted...By the way I have never done any tire work..

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Check e-Bay for a repair manual for the make and year of your bike..Make sure its not the owners manual which won't be a lot of help to you..I am not considered a great mechanic, but with my repair manual I've been able to do 90% of my own work..Keep us posted...By the way I have never done any tire work..

Well, I got some how-to instructions on BARF (bay area rider's forum) and stripping this thing down has been no trouble at all.

And actually, my friend and I were looking at the engine, he knows his stuff to a degree, and we concluded we probably could do an engine swap if needed.. The engine only weighs 150 lbs. We'll see how it turns out. Probably next week you'll see the pics of my new ride. Hoo-rah.

The good news is I now have 2 different kawi 440's offered to me, after a couple pleading ads on craig's list. And now that I have all the parts off, I am re-sanding and working on a true showroom-finish paintjob. Although it's caused some stress and financial loss, this breakdown has been just awesomely fun.. Learning about bikes, the fun of ripping stuff apart and getting your hands black and greasy, and of course the thought that I'll have two sets of everything to play with and make a real sweet classic ride all makes for a good time.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Learning about bikes, the fun of ripping stuff apart and getting your hands black and greasy

Very true..There is a certain satisfaction that comes from tearing down your own "scoot" and putting back together again and having no extra parts left over...Looking forward to those pics...

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Very true..There is a certain satisfaction that comes from tearing down your own "scoot" and putting back together again and having no extra parts left over...Looking forward to those pics...

Oh and I am going to frame the dead lightbulb from the tac.. You know, the one that comes on when the oil is low. Yup..

Also, I found that my sparkplugs were fouled, and my petcock setting was incorrect, (assuming on, res, pri that pri would be best for when the bike was off, I thinned my oil as I allowed fuel to leak into a non running engine. As it all comes apart, it's all coming together.