Most common styles?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what would you consider the most common indochinese styles that are present in the west? what are the main characteristics of these styles? what makes them unique?

P

pknox

I would have to say that Silat is pretty common, at least as far as Indochinese styles go. For me, the main characteristic was pain ;), mostly due to the various pinches and nerve strikes. I think the body postures and types of takedowns used were pretty unique, as I've never seen them in other systems.

Is Muay Thai considered an Indochinese style? If so, that would be pretty common as well -- at least the "Thai Boxing" side of it -- my guess is that authentic Muay Thai is probably rarer, much like Krabi Krabong.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen much BerSilat (Malay)

In terms of Silat there is quite a showing. The most common are The de Thouars bothers' styles (Serak, Bukti Negara, Willem's Kun Tao) and Suwanda's Mande Muda. There is also Wetzel's Poekelan Cimande, Reeder's Pukulan and Kun Tao, Minangkabau Harimau and recently Sanders' Pukulan Cimande Pusaka. To a lesser extent I have also seen Mustika Kweetang, Perisai Diri, Setia Hati and Tapac Suci. There are also mixed schools of Kun Tao about.

There are a few "Vo" schools as I call them. These are Vietnamese martial arts. I know little of these ones.

There is Dr. Gyi's American Bando Association, that has recently gained quite a following from Dan Inosanto's groups, and there is Phil Dunlap's (honored member of the forum) Thiang. These are both Burmese (Mayamar) based.

There are numerous Thai boxing and Muay Thai schools across the continent. Obviously from Thailand (Siam). The big names that come to mind are Fairtex, Chai Sirisute and Vut Kamnark, not to mention famous Dutch, American and other European fighters. Also from Thailand is Krabi Krabong. This is the warrior's or soldier's art of Thailand. There are a couple of Krabi Krabong U.S. schools associated the Chai Sirisute though Inosanto (also made popular by one of the Dog Brothers).

These are the only ones I've had experience with or I know of with a foothold in the US, offhand. I'm sure other members can add to list and expand on the individual arts.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are also kung fu styles that migrated from China to other countries and are now considered, e.g., Malaysian Kung Fu.

Latest Discussions