More pressure for Korean kids?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a 10 year old in my class who's parents are Korean. They both speak Korean fluently. At the kid's yellow belt test, I asked him to count to 10 in Korean. He spoke with perfect diction, but just froze at 6. I was surprised. He mom looked shocked & a bit upset. I then asked the 10 year old next to him (who's folks were born in Mexico) & he rattled them off confidently.

I know that, often times, Korean kids are under a lot of pressure at home to do well in school, but I imagine it's even moreso with Taekwondo. Especially from an American instructor. (Or maybe moreso from a Korean).

Has anyone else found this to be true? What experiences have you had as an American with Korean students?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I have some Koreans in my class one is 20 and he was bad when he first got here know he is ready to test for his 2nd Dan, so I think it is up to the person and them teaching what each can and cannot do.

I do think that the Asian culture in a whole expects a lot more than most westeners.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a student in my class who is from Korea. He is 15, and came to the US sometime after 4th grade - I'm not sure precisely when, except that he told me he'd had some TKD in Korea in 4th grade. He is, to put it mildly, a drama king; every bump or fall is accompanied by dramatic moans, jumping around, loud sighs, etc. His Korean is fine - his manners need some help; he corrected my assistant instructor's pronunciation one night when I wasn't there (I was at parent/teacher conferences as the teacher). He's also, to put it mildly, somewhat spoiled - although he is getting better, slowly.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have a pair of brothers who are definite go getters I dont know if it is the culture, their personality, or just pushing parents which would happen in any culture.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that many people in America, and other countries outside of Asia as well, just assume that because a person is Asian, they know the Martial Art. If I have two beginner students who are forty year old males, one an American and the other a Korean, and anyone saw them going into a Taekwondo Dojang, they would most likely assume that the Korean was a high ranking master.

Often times, foreigners from many different countries migrate to America, and become citizens without speaking very much English (if any). They cling to the traditions of their native country. However, their U.S. born children grow up as Americans, knowing very little of their parents. native tongue, and even less about the culture of their parent's homeland (this is not always the case, but often happens this way).

Korean children born in America are just like any other kids. People often assume that because they are Korean, they should automatically know the Korean language, or how to do Taekwondo, etc. The truth is, they are learning just like anyone else. They start as beginners, they get nervous at testings, and they forget terminology or how to do a form.

This might cause their parents embarrassment more than anything. They figure that other Americans expect a Korean to do well at speaking the language, and performing Taekwondo, so they try to live up to those expectations. If the parent becomes angry with the child for getting it wrong, I think it is a combination of two things. They are parents who expect their children to do well, and they are embarrassed because they are Korean, and their own offspring does not know the language.

I have noticed that the culture of Asians, when it comes to education and their children performing well, usually applies a lot of pressure. You find a lot of child musicians, from Asian countries, playing the piano or violin like they were born to play. These children often look like they are denied a childhood of fun and play to study music, or math, or rocket science.

On the other hand, I have noticed that many people outside of the Asian nationality often view the Martial Art as something more special, mystical, and worthy of serious dedication. Many Asians take it for granted because it is something they have readily available to them in their country. It is kind of like baseball in America. Most kids have tossed around a ball, or played a game as a kid, but how many kids go into professional baseball? I believe the Martial Art is much more than a sport, a hobby, or just a system of self defense, but it often takes an Non-Asian to see the special qualities the Martial Art has to offer. I just wish more Americans would take it more seriously, and studied it more thoroughly.

As for the Korean student - - kids will be kids! :)

CM D.J. Eisenhart

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This might cause their parents embarrassment more than anything. They figure that other Americans expect a Korean to do well at speaking the language, and performing Taekwondo, so they try to live up to those expectations. If the parent becomes angry with the child for getting it wrong, I think it is a combination of two things. They are parents who expect their children to do well, and they are embarrassed because they are Korean, and their own offspring does not know the language.

I agree 110%. I think your statement applies to all parents, regardless of nationality. Just look at all the problems parents can cause in any of the sports. Parents who live vicariuosly through their children, and when the child falters in some respect, they show their displeasure with them.

I have noticed that the culture of Asians, when it comes to education and their children performing well, usually applies a lot of pressure. You find a lot of child musicians, from Asian countries, playing the piano or violin like they were born to play. These children often look like they are denied a childhood of fun and play to study music, or math, or rocket science.

Again, I agree, as I'm sure will most people, with your statement. Parents need to support without pushing, and show encouragement rather than embarrassment.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that many people in America, and other countries outside of Asia as well, just assume that because a person is Asian, they know the Martial Art. If I have two beginner students who are forty year old males, one an American and the other a Korean, and anyone saw them going into a Taekwondo Dojang, they would most likely assume that the Korean was a high ranking master.

Just a funny aside to this...

When I was in Okinawa in November, I would go to the Kin-cho Active Park, which is ~1/2 acre of grass/deck and picnic tables in the center of the town. I would practice Chuan-fa and karate forms around 7am each morning. I would get the strangest stares and looks from the older Okinawan people walking by. Many would stop for awhile and watch, walk a little further turn around and watch. Probably very strange for them to see a military-looking American practicing martial art in the park in the morning. Especially when all other military people were working. :) Perhaps I shattered some American sterotype they had.

R. McLain

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about this same thing a few weeks ago, but more general as in any Asian child studying under a non-Asian in today's U.S. culture. A Vietnamese lady I know put her kids in a local kickboxing/karate school and he stuck with it until brown belt. I wondered if he was under more pressure than the non-Asian kids to excell.
We all know that race has nothing to do with ability, but the preconceptions are in the general public that martial arts = asian.
Right now, all my students are either black or white, but I have always wondered how an Asian child would deal with the expectations placed on them in this situation.

AoG