More PC Stupidity

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Springfield, Illinois bans 'discrimination' by private clubs:

http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x462605195/Council-votes-to-ban-discrimination-by-lake-clubs

This will affect the Knights of Columbus, a fraternal organization for 'Practical Catholics' who are male only.

http://www.kofc.org/un/en/membership/join/howtojoin.html

If you are a practical Catholic man, age 18 or older, we welcome you to join the leading organization of Catholic laymen.

Tell me how many women want to join the Knights. Tell me how many Protestants want to join a Catholic fraternal organization.

The net effect of this will be the local KofC council will shut down. Loss for the Catholic community, but oh boy, the PC morons will have won a big moral victory, huh?

Strangely, I'm not filled with desire to join the Daughters of the American Revolution or the Sons of Confederate Soldiers or the NAACP or the Jewish Defense League, but in Springfield, they'd have to accept me as a member. I wonder if MENSA will have to accept everyone now? Will colleges have to allow anyone to enroll, regardless of ability to read and write? I guess anti-war protesters who never served in the military have to be allowed to join the Veterans of Foreign Wars now, eh?

In the name of fairness and equality, we've become stupid beyond belief. Will this nonsense ever end?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How ironic is it that the Knights of Columbus have chosen retarded people as their charity of main concern....actually around here one chapter had to change their bibs to say 'intellectually handicapped' :lfao: now that mission statement is to broad really to be covered by a handful of catholic guys!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How ironic is it that the Knights of Columbus have chosen retarded people as their charity of main concern....actually around here one chapter had to change their bibs to say 'intellectually handicapped' :lfao: now that mission statement is to broad really to be covered by a handful of catholic guys!

I agree. Ironic and sad.

When wearing the yellow vest and collecting donations, I have been accosted by people who took offense at the vest, which says "Please help retarded citizens" or words to that effect. Even by parents of disabled or challenged children. Well, here's the deal. The ARC, which is the charity we support, uses the term 'retarded'. They do so because (they tell us) the federal government requires it. I do not know why - but I also do not care why. It's not my problem. I am out collecting money to help these children; which is more than most will bother doing. They'll complain about our use of a word, but they will neither donate nor get off their dead asses and help their favorite charity themselves. At least I'm doing something. I'm using the wrong word? Oh sue me.

Yeah, 'retarded' is a bad word now. I get it. So sorry. Shall I stop collecting money for them because the organization we support says we have to use that word according to the federal government? Shall I protest by withholding my support for mentally challenged people? Oh please. People should consider getting over themselves. "I'm glad you care, but you care using the incorrect words." Bite me.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i love that you used retard. I have been chastised over and over again for using that word.

I work with mentally handicap people and they get mad when you call them mentally handicap. They actually PREFER retarded. They call themselves that and ask me to call them that.

So what is more PC? To call them retarded because they prefer it or to call them mentally handicap because society has deemed them inferior?

B

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never understood the sudden "badness" of the word "retard".

Retard means slow. If I "retard" something, I am slowing it's progress. It's a LABEL, are they going to change the name from "special education" because people call them "speds"?

Kind of like how when I was a kid they were called swamps, now they are "wetlands" and are protected.

I understand if "they" (KoC or any other group) won't let somebody in based on skin color or racial bias and putting a stop to that. But, if your group is based on a particular reason and association I see no reason why you can't do that. So does that mean that I can try out for Black Miss America?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never understood the sudden "badness" of the word "retard".

Nothing intrinsically bad. No more than "Oriental" or "Negro" are intrinsically bad, but all 3 words have fallen out of favor. Language evolves, and preferred words change, as in this case because the old word feels pejorative. Eventually "mentally handicapped" will be viewed as pejorative, and then something else will take it's place. That's the way things work, getting upset about it makes as much sense as getting upset at the tides.

I'm sure there are plenty of words that you consider offensive that had no offensive meaning originally.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I see you in the swimsuit competition, I'm going to lose my lunch. Just sayin'...

agreed!!

I like to mess with people when it comes to PC. I like to apply for jobs where you fill out the stuff online. Under the race and gender section i always put something other than what im not (im a white male for the purposes of this argument). So i sometimes put an african american female, or asian american male. what makes it even better is when (for some reason) the application asks for weight and height. Then i really get to mess with them :D (im 6'3" 250lbs)

Always the same response. "why did you put this on the application?" my answer "why is it important that you know that before meeting me?" i never get the job but im never really interested im just trying to prove a point

B

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the name of fairness and equality, we've become stupid beyond belief. Will this nonsense ever end?

It's one town, a handful of actual representatives, enacting a bylaw which will almost certainly be found unconstitutional. The KofC and the Boy Scouts and Rotary and even the KKK are still around, it's a little early to be making sweeping conclusions about the state of "PC" (whatever that even means) in the nation at large.

They made a mistake. You understand the impulse though, which your post on separate cultures demonstrates. This mistake will be rolled back so that a proper balance between freedom and the egalitarian interest of the country can be maintained. Start getting angry if it goes further.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always the same response. "why did you put this on the application?" my answer "why is it important that you know that before meeting me?" i never get the job but im never really interested im just trying to prove a point.

Considering that the section is always optional by law, and you can't imagine why they might want to know, it sounds like you are more interested in being an ******* than in proving a point.

Assuming you actually do this, which I kind of doubt.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering that the section is always optional by law, and you can't imagine why they might want to know, it sounds like you are more interested in being an ******* than in proving a point.

Assuming you actually do this, which I kind of doubt.

Yes i actually do it, not a lot but i do it enough.

Understandable and some people might feel that way. It shouldnt be on there at all. It usually leads people to get a preconceived image in their heads of the person they are going to meet. What is the point in that? It is usually one of the first items on the application right underneath your name and address and before past experience. If it is going to be on there than it should be last.

I understand that by law it is optional information that you are allowed to withhold but i would bet more often than not that people who leave it blank are overlook simply because they didnt fill it out.

Like i said before i have done this before not just once but several times. I do this mainly because i was told i couldnt attend a particular high school because I was white ( i hear the disbelieving muttering). Ok so i wasnt told specifically that it was because i was white but i was told that they had to keep up "racial standards". If there is a difference please explain it to me because i do get it.

If it makes me out to be an ******* that so be it. I do plenty of stuff that could be considered being an *** as im sure you might as well if not well then you are a better person than me

B

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess we're just going to ignore the whole "lease agreement for using land from the city" part of the article? This isn't saying "all private groups everywhere," but instead applying to those who contract to use city land. Additionally, the proposal is making it unlawful to commit "unlawful discrimination", which refers to the restricted civil rights categories. It's not a general "let's be nice and PC" requirement.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's retarded (excuse me, developmentally disabled) to apply civil rights anti-discrimination rules to private organization membership. I agree with Empty Hands (and hope he's right) that it'll be repealed once the backlash hits. But no, anti-war protestors who never joined the military wouldn't be required entry into VA hospitals because anti-war protestors who never joined the military aren't covered by discrimination laws. Nor is I.Q. level a protected class. You've a good reason to be perturbed at this article's topic, but keep its limitations in mind.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes i actually do it, not a lot but i do it enough.

Understandable and some people might feel that way. It shouldnt be on there at all. It usually leads people to get a preconceived image in their heads of the person they are going to meet. What is the point in that? It is usually one of the first items on the application right underneath your name and address and before past experience. If it is going to be on there than it should be last.

I understand that by law it is optional information that you are allowed to withhold but i would bet more often than not that people who leave it blank are overlook simply because they didnt fill it out.

Like i said before i have done this before not just once but several times. I do this mainly because i was told i couldnt attend a particular high school because I was white ( i hear the disbelieving muttering). Ok so i wasnt told specifically that it was because i was white but i was told that they had to keep up "racial standards". If there is a difference please explain it to me because i do get it.

If it makes me out to be an ******* that so be it. I do plenty of stuff that could be considered being an *** as im sure you might as well if not well then you are a better person than me

B
I think with 10% unemployment, you're lucky to be so unconcerned about having a job that you can afford to waste your time and the time of the interviewer to make a point by actively tanking your chances of competing for the position. You must be in good shape financially, and extremely talented. I have to ask one thing, because as a frequent interviewer, I've seen people do dumb things like this.

Why are you wasting everyone's time? I always figured it was to keep getting unemployment benefits... to show you're applying for jobs, but are a malingerer and don't ACTUALLY want to get a job. Is there another reason I'm missing why you'd voluntarily apply for a job you don't want to compete for?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think with 10% unemployment, you're lucky to be so unconcerned about having a job that you can afford to waste your time and the time of the interviewer to make a point by actively tanking your chances of competing for the position. You must be in good shape financially, and extremely talented. I have to ask one thing, because as a frequent interviewer, I've seen people do dumb things like this.

Why are you wasting everyone's time? I always figured it was to keep getting unemployment benefits... to show you're applying for jobs, but are a malingerer and don't ACTUALLY want to get a job. Is there another reason I'm missing why you'd voluntarily apply for a job you don't want to compete for?

Hell, I'll take the job interview in a New York minute. >.>

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I already have 2 jobs and go to school.

What i do is actually research for a report for my psychology class. It looks like im taking it lightly but im actually not. I have written out a thesis, done countless hours of research, talked to several experts....etc, etc etc. I have several people who are helping me do this research who I am actually paying and some of the data that i have gathered is pretty interesting.

the extent of what i do is not limited to me just filling out those particular sections. I also have the people that are helping leave the sections with the sex and race blank and just fill out a list of qualities that would be useful at the job and have them go to through the interview. They then report back to me on what happened, reactions of the interviewer etc...

just so everyone knows that im not intentionally being a dick or leaving these people wondering "WTF?" I contact all the managers of the store before hand and ask whether they handle hiring, if they do i say "thank you and have a nice day" if they do not i then explain what i am do and whether it would be ok or not for me to do this. I tell them it has to between us so that data is not corrupted so to speak.

After the interview and after i have gathered my data, i then tell people what i am doing. some people dont like it and others think its pretty cool.

It is purely research and I am in no way trying to make it sound like im some pompous idiot doing it for fun or a lazy bum who doesnt really want to work and is wasting tax payers money by collecting unemployment.

I simply stated it the way i did originally just use as an argument for this thread. I had no idea i would get this reaction. I apologize for any misunderstandings that i may have brought about.

B

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah. You're a student. Thank you for providing some context. I'm still at a loss. What are you researching? I have had people do all sorts of silly things in interviews. I had one guy tell me conspiratorially that he isn't gay. I had another guy demand (sort of) that he be paid for the interview. Some show up in jeans, or are smart alecs or just don't take the interview seriously. After each one, I shake my head and wonder why the person is wasting everyone's time. If you said this to me, "why is it important that you know that before meeting me?" I would thank you for your time, offer you a hearty handshake and show you the door. Over the years, I've come to trust my instincts and have no problem cutting an interview short if the person is TNT (thanks, no thanks.)

Maybe I'm dumb, but when I'm interviewing a potential new hire, I don't look for political agenda. I don't look for social agenda. I'm looking for technical qualifications, interpersonal skills, an eagerness to join the team and, more than anything, someone who is game. In the situations above, I just see a person (typically a young person) who has submitted an application/resume, made the first cut and been asked to an interview, who doesn't seem to want the job for which he or she has applied.

Now, just as a fellow forum poster, I'm just genuinely baffled as to what sort of legit research this could be. It sounds pretty stupid and I cringe at the thought that you might have received a grant.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing intrinsically bad. No more than "Oriental" or "Negro" are intrinsically bad, but all 3 words have fallen out of favor.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but "retarded" is itself a "PC replacement" of an earlier word. It replaced "mongoloid". Hence my point - words, especially when they become slurs, get replaced. You've been a part of it, knowingly or not. So not worth getting bent out of shape over.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but "retarded" is itself a "PC replacement" of an earlier word. It replaced "mongoloid". Hence my point - words, especially when they become slurs, get replaced. You've been a part of it, knowingly or not. So not worth getting bent out of shape over.

I suppose it replaced a slew of descriptive terms...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strangely, I'm not filled with desire to join the Daughters of the American Revolution or the Sons of Confederate Soldiers or the NAACP or the Jewish Defense League, but in Springfield, they'd have to accept me as a member. I wonder if MENSA will have to accept everyone now? Will colleges have to allow anyone to enroll, regardless of ability to read and write? I guess anti-war protesters who never served in the military have to be allowed to join the Veterans of Foreign Wars now, eh?

I share your frustration, but I do have to point out that the NAACP accepts and encourages people of all races to join, and that at least two of its founders were, in fact, white.

(MENSA is just a wife-swapping club for psuedo-intellectual posers :lfao: )