Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a thought:

Nothing we can do can change the past, but everything we do changes the future.:asian:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
PS - I changed my mind (I'm allowed to do that - keeps me from getting stale or predictable). I'll figure out what I'm going to teach much closer to the event.

DA

So Dan
Have you decided yet on what you are going to teach?

BTW over breakfast on Wednesday I reminded my wife that this camp was coming up and I'm still planning on going.

So far so good.
Mark

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So Dan
Have you decided yet on what you are going to teach?

BTW over breakfast on Wednesday I reminded my wife that this camp was coming up and I'm still planning on going.

So far so good.
Mark
It'll be great to see you there. I haven't decided totally but I've got an idea... Probably be a surprise.

Dan

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the updates flyer.

Attachments

• $Reunion Camp Cover.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 166
  • $Reunion Camp.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 191

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Datu Tim

I mean no disrespect here and I'm no trying to throw stones, cause a fuss, or anything. However I noticed that Bram and Edssa weren't on the new flyer, I understand that schedules change and such over the months. So from a potential customer's point of view how solid is the current line up?

Since I'm looking at having to purchase airline tickets, hotel and rental car fees, much less taking vacation off work and having to get a kitchen pass from my wife to attend this camp how secure is the current line up, and the current schedule?

I went to symposium expecting one thing and got something totally different when I got there. There was still some excellent instruction but.....

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how many people here on MT are seriously considering going to this camp? Putting all politics (if there is any of that crap left) aside, I was just wondering who on MT I might be seeing there.

From my personal point of view these type of instructional events don't happen to often (if at all really) and are a huge pain to put on and they are also a great financial risk to the promoter or promoting body. So when they do come around I plan on going and make the sacrifices to attend them, because they might not happen again. I have found that I have received my moneys worth by attending these camps and working with the other instructors that are present, many times over.

One of the things my students are benefiting from is the fact that I have attended a few events like this (or training camps of different Modern Arnis/FMA associations) so they get to learn techniques and concepts that are culled from many different sources. This helps not only their growth in the martial arts but my growth as well as we flesh out material that I learned from these camps. As a side note a couple of my students just came from a Modern Arnis group that practice one form of Remy's material, and they can see a difference in what I teach compared to their former instructor. They are getting a more diverse view of the art due to my background of seeking instruction from wherever and whomever instead of only one organization.

All of this to say I believe that we are carrying on the legacy that GM Remy left by training with other instructors and other organizations and this type of event is a great way to do it. Oh and you can meet some great friends there as well. So anybody on MT planning on going to the event?

Mark

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how many people here on MT are seriously considering going to this camp? Putting all politics (if there is any of that crap left) aside, I was just wondering who on MT I might be seeing there.

From my personal point of view these type of instructional events don't happen to often (if at all really) and are a huge pain to put on and they are also a great financial risk to the promoter or promoting body. So when they do come around I plan on going and make the sacrifices to attend them, because they might not happen again. I have found that I have received my moneys worth by attending these camps and working with the other instructors that are present, many times over.

One of the things my students are benefiting from is the fact that I have attended a few events like this (or training camps of different Modern Arnis/FMA associations) so they get to learn techniques and concepts that are culled from many different sources. This helps not only their growth in the martial arts but my growth as well as we flesh out material that I learned from these camps. As a side note a couple of my students just came from a Modern Arnis group that practice one form of Remy's material, and they can see a difference in what I teach compared to their former instructor. They are getting a more diverse view of the art due to my background of seeking instruction from wherever and whomever instead of only one organization.

All of this to say I believe that we are carrying on the legacy that GM Remy left by training with other instructors and other organizations and this type of event is a great way to do it. Oh and you can meet some great friends there as well. So anybody on MT planning on going to the event?

Mark

I was planning on going, however, as I told Tim at the recent Summer camp, I'm unable to get the time off from work. Pisses me off, as I was looking forward to this, but what can ya do. As for anyone else on here, no idea.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't make it unfortunately. I have the time off work, but my niece is getting married in 10 days, and my nephew is getting married in August...both in North Carolina. I wouldn't miss their weddings any more than I would miss a wedding of my own kids, if I had them...but I can't pull off three out-of-state trips in as many months.

Bums me out. I was really looking forward to working out with the Buffalo folks again as well as meeting GM Anderson and everyone else. If I can find a windfall of cash somewhere, I will definitely come out! But that's not looking too possible right now. :(

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be there. I'll be covering the event for MT & FMAT, doing a ton of photography and offering portrait services as well as doing portraits of most of the instructors (hopefully all of them).

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I'll be there.

The ticket is booked and only some catastropy can kee me from not comeing.
So this is 1/8th of the lineup. :)

Greetings

Dieter

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark,

I am back from a vacation and I will be there. I know Tim has been in contact with the other instructors, and if there were more changes he would have announced them.

I agree that other events in the past did not live up to their billing nor the claims of the host to be great events, because the host did know about many cancellations before the event but choose not to publish it and inform the public. He also filled the instructor list with his friends and students. His call as the host, just not what was advertised.

I talked to Tim about that at the time and I have also been in communication with Tim since the early discussions of this event. Tim is honestly trying to get people to come together and work together. He set aside all issues and asked others to do the same so we can all move forward. Tim invited his list which included two who choose not particpate. When he moved it by a week he reconfirmed all exisitng instructors ebfore doing so and also sent out a new request to the two instructors who had conflicts. They either did not reply or stated they still had a conflict.

I believe this will be a good event and that there will the list above, unless something unforeseen happens as Dieter pointed out.

I hope to see you there Mark. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do know that Tim invited the Presas family and Jeff Delany twice. There were other invitations sent out for guests, etc. He's also been putting a lot of miles on trying to get the word. Me, I'm looking forward to the event.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Datu Tim

However I noticed that Bram and Edssa weren't on the new flyer, I understand that schedules change and such over the months. So from a potential customer's point of view how solid is the current line up? - I went to symposium expecting one thing and got something totally different when I got there. There was still some excellent instruction but.....
Hi Mark,

Edessa has moved to Afghanistan to be with her husband and you think a plane ticket from Texas is expensive? Hoooeeey. The line up is still pretty strong with what, roughly a month to go? This will be a different animal than the Symposium, I believe, and should go well.

I still haven't figured out what I am going to teach yet.

Yours,
Dan

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't decided what I am going to teach yet but I do know what I am going to bring:
  1. Super Dan - A Martial Arts Memoir (book)
  2. De-Fanging The Snake (NEW DVD on stick disarms)
  3. Fast Track Arnis Vol. 5 - Free-Fighting (NEW DVD -Stick Sparring/Fighting)
"Super Dan" not only covers my karate history but deals extensively with my experiences with Prof. Remy Presas and FMA overall.

"De-Fanging The Snake" is the DVD follow up to my most successful Modern Arnis book of hte same name. It will not only show, in motion, ever action in the book but has even more.

"Fast Track Vol. 5 - Free-Fighting" covers how I actually use the techniques of FMA in unrehearsed sparring and fighting.

All good fun. I might even teach the above two topics but we'll see much closer to the event. See you there!

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan, might I suggest something that includes either a stick, a knife or empty hand techniques? Might go over good and I figure I'd help you narrow the focus a bit. :D

Reactions: MJS

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dan, might I suggest something that includes either a stick, a knife or empty hand techniques? Might go over good and I figure I'd help you narrow the focus a bit. :D
Ahhhhh. That narrows the range of options, doesn't it. Since it is an arnis camp I will consider your suggestion a valid one. :)

DA

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings-

The camp is rapidly approaching. I just wanted to remind everyone that this Friday (June 17) in the due date for early registration. FYI we have several special guests in attendance:

GM Max Pallen - Senkotiros
GM Ron Van Browning - San Soo Kung Fu
GM Kim Foreman - DKI

JM

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings-

The camp is rapidly approaching. I just wanted to remind everyone that this Friday (June 17) in the due date for early registration. FYI we have several special guests in attendance:

GM Max Pallen - Senkotiros
GM Ron Van Browning - San Soo Kung Fu
GM Kim Foreman - DKI

JM

Jim

Is GM Bobby Toboada still scheduled top be there?

Also I've committed, sent the check in today. Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Mark

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Anderson,
Will you be teaching at the event, or are you merely going as a vendor? I ask simply because this close to the event you seem very certain what sale items to bring yet seem uncertain what actual art related material you could present. I mean it's very rare that you ever post without mentioning something you have for sale. In fact, I don't recall the last time you contributed content and you don't appear to be a paid advertiser so constantly sneaking around the ad policies is rather dishonorable, especially for someone of your rank. Wouldn't you agree?

As to the event itself, it looks interesting. If I can get back to WNY that weekend I might stick my head in for a hello and some wings.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last,

No, I wouldn't agree. I haven't decided what I am going to teach because of the plethora of instructors. Am I only going to be a vendor? No. The reason I don't post much is because I am busy with my school, much busier than I have been in the past. Sneaking around the ad policies? Dishonorable? Just because I know what I am gong to bring to the camp? I have been asked by others not on MT if I am going to bring anything and if so, what. Public answer. Too bad you might only stick your head in for a hello and some wings. You're going to miss quite an event.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Latest Discussions