Mock Fights

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As part of our BB we have to come up with 5 different fight scenarios, teach them to a partner then demonstrate. They must be a logical sequence of events and we can use any technique that we know or make up. There must be a minimum of 3 attacks and defence .
By doing this our instructor gets to see how we think.
Do other systems do this?
What sort of moves would you include?
I'm doing 2 empty hand, 1 both with a Kali stick, 1 with attacker has a stick and the defender is empty hand, and 1 with attacker has a knife and the defender is empty hand.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes we have mock fights, you should also set one up with a gun defense and one with multiple attackers
Terry

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately we dont do any gun work in our syllabus at all, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Down in my little corner of the world guns aren't even an issue.
Not like in the states where you are issued one at birth aren't you?
The only guns I've ever come across are .22 bolt action rifles and 12 guage single barrel shotguns and these were only on a farm where there were rabbits to be shot.
As for multiple attackers that has put the brain into gear.
Thanks for your input.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
silatman said:
Thanks for your input.

I do live in the midwest, but I also live in a huge city in the midwest... but I've never seen a 'real' gun, outside of a police officer's, safe in holster...:idunno:

Anyway, have you asked your instructor about gun techniques? I've found with my own instructors even if something isn't covered in the Tracy Kenpo system, they have found an answer from instructors who also hold rank in other systems, or who have figured out their own solution... It certainly cant hurt.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do something similar, but it's a single routine against a partner that must last between 1:45 and 2:00 (that's minutes and seconds, not hours). It should demonstrate self-defense against a steadily increasing level of attack, with appropriate responses to the level of attack - so it might start, say, with the partner/opponent grabbing the defender and the defender doing a release and then attempting to leave, and escalate to life-threatening attacks and counters - the idea being to show a range of scenarios and appropriate responses within the one routine. This is a requirement for I Dan.

For II Dan, there are two attackers, and mock weapons can be used. For III Dan, there are three attackers; for IV Dan, four attackers. For V Dan, a technical demonstration replaces the self-defense routine.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
we do the same. differnit standards though. 18 to 20 sequices. past that it is more-or-less the same.at black belt and the dans (in Coung Nhu Black Belt is zero Kyu instead of first dan) each kind of attack changes. well the weapons of the attacker. all i know is that for black belt it needs to be an equal disrabution of disarmed (constant), tambo, bo, and knife defense. i know because I'm involved in a demo for one of our students.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my original school, we use a similar choreographed scenario as part of each level belt test (yellow is 3 situations, Blue is 5, Green is 8, etc...) up to the black belt test where it is about a 5-10 minute choreographed self-defense demonstration with speed, flow and technique.

Following the demonstration, however, is a "live" self defense and grappling portion including chokes, bearhugs and grappling for takedowns. Although we incorperate a live, struggling opponent for this portion, control is still prefered (no actual head-butts to the nose, etc).

This gives the instructor a good idea how the student thinks and then how they will react in a less controlled situation.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm for a fellow silat player, choreographed fights don't make sense to me. Don't you have like a monkey line where the whole class lines up and can do anything they want. Then you have to do something totally different each time? I sure know my school valued the randomness of fights and taught us that way.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
silatman said:
Unfortunately we dont do any gun work in our syllabus at all, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Down in my little corner of the world guns aren't even an issue.
The only guns I've ever come across are .22 bolt action rifles and 12 guage single barrel shotguns and these were only on a farm where there were rabbits to be shot.
As for multiple attackers that has put the brain into gear.
Thanks for your input.

Silatman I'm glad gun defense is not needed and maybe I'll send you are syllubus for multible attacker if you like. I hope we here in the state of Texas a gun is like a folk everybody has one every where you look.
Terry

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to come up with somthing similar for my brown belt test.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Hmmm for a fellow silat player, choreographed fights don't make sense to me. Don't you have like a monkey line where the whole class lines up and can do anything they want. Then you have to do something totally different each time? I sure know my school valued the randomness of fights and taught us that way.

We do have the monkey line and I love it but I dont understand why a choreographed fight sequence doesn't make sense in Silat.
Surely any individual fight scenario in any system serves the same purpose, that is to show the instructor that you understand when, where and how a particular move, technique or principal that you know relates to a real fight. If you can flow from one move to another or change a move because of how your attacker reacts to some stimulus that you have provided then it shows that you have an understanding of the art that you are learning and how an opponent will react to certain moves, in a static demonstration you might be able to go from a sapu luah into an armbar for example, but in reality maybe you dont retain enough control for this to happen, a choreographed sequence helps you to see this.
I am interested in how your Silat class demonstrates this if you don't get the opportunity to make up your own sequences.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Silatman I'm glad gun defense is not needed and maybe I'll send you are syllubus for multible attacker if you like. I hope we here in the state of Texas a gun is like a folk everybody has one every where you look.
Terry

I would love to see you multiple attacker syllabus if you would send it to me, I'm always on the lookout for different concepts and ideas.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
you should also set one up with a gun defense and one with multiple attackers
Terry

Absolutely...We do those in our classes and have the attacker attempt to grab the officers weapon..Good self defense and weapon retention..

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Absolutely...We do those in our classes and have the attacker attempt to grab the officers weapon..Good self defense and weapon retention..

What sort of range do you start these drills from?
Do you treat the gun like a knife in that you try to get either inside or out and attempt a disarm or are you purely focused on the direction of the barrel?
I have read in an Australian MA magazine (Blitz) that if you hold the point of a knife on somebodys chest and then have them attempt to control that knife they can every time get the knife off their chest before you can thrust it into them.
I have tried this and it does work because the person that first instigates a move will 99% of the time make contact with what ever they are trying to do as the defender first has to see that you have moved, work out where you are moving to then respond to that action.
Even though that example wasn't with a projectile weapon does this hold true with guns?
Hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't do choreographed fights. We do Randori which is more free form. Often times with multiple attackers with various weapons. However, we don't do that all the time. Too much of that can cause serious bad habits.

silatman said:
Even though that example wasn't with a projectile weapon does this hold true with guns?
Hope you understand what I'm getting at.
Well, I see the gun and projectile similar to the knife in principle. For instance, the gun has an infinite (might as well be) length of blade. The only action it makes is a thrust or tsuki. Now of course it is REALLY FAST! But as far as body dynamics and so forth, it is much like a knife (in principle).

Latest Discussions