MMA vs TMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am a very strong believer that it's not the art but the person using it. Still, whenever there's a video of Kung Fu/Aikido/Wing Chun etc on Youtube, it immediately becomes a comment war between those who like it and those who say that none of that stuff works and real fighters are only MMA fighters.

I was wondering if this forum's MMA fans share the same distaste/mistrust/skepticism about the combat effectiveness of more traditional arts in real life situations.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a very strong believer that it's not the art but the person using it. Still, whenever there's a video of Kung Fu/Aikido/Wing Chun etc on Youtube, it immediately becomes a comment war between those who like it and those who say that none of that stuff works and real fighters are only MMA fighters.

I was wondering if this forum's MMA fans share the same distaste/mistrust/skepticism about the combat effectiveness of more traditional arts in real life situations.

my distaste and skepticism centers more around using a Youtube example to formulate one's opinions on the large scale.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA is sport. MMA fighters, at competition level, are very well rounded fighters in the ring. If they were to be matched, in the ring, with a competition trained athlete from TKD, Karate, Judo or Jujitsu they will probably have enough skills to match that person in his area of expertise but should have an advantage when the situation is changed to one that is not the other persons area of expertise.

But the OP is asking about MMA vs TMA. There are many threads discussing TMAs and much debate as to what is 'traditional'. Without defining TMA it is hard to even consider the question, then are we going to look at weight differences and skill levels? But, I think what can be refuted is the idea that MMA fighters are the only 'real' fighters.

Youtube gives good coverage af actual professional fights but when it comes to amateur 'this vs that' I don't believe many give a true picture of either side's real potential. This topic is very much like a dog chasing its tail.

:asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Oh for crying out loud not this again MMA vs TMA (BARF) this has been done to death and I don't usually say this but for crying out loud save us all the headache, particullarly the admins and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!

You want to know the difference, here it is. One trains to fight an opponent they will likely see again and the other trains to fight an opponent they hope to never see again...there you go...so endeth the lesson

Now you're officially stalking me.

Oh..please....stop it.... what crane said was true....and you can't use YouTube as proof of anything

DO you actually train anything, are you actually considering training anything or are you just bemoaning the fact that the days of Kwai Chang Kane are long gone and never to return.... not that they were ever really here in the first place

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is. If a person wants to train in MMA and not TMA, then that person should train in MMA and not TMA.

If a person can't train in something without bashing something else then IMO that person isn't training hard enough.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
my distaste and skepticism centers more around using a Youtube example to formulate one's opinions on the large scale.

you are wrong, sir. I am actually trying to educate you, tho I'll admit that at times my methods can be a bit less than gentle. If you are open to it, you might gain some worthwhile lessons from it.

if you are not open to it, well then you will just think I am stalking you.

KingDiesel

White Belt
Reaction score
really if you break it down MMA fighters ARE TMAist look at the martial arts that make up MMA striking: boxing in the purest since is traditional muay thai is def a traditional martial arts and there are guys who have done TKD, Karate, Kung fu that mix these into there striking all TMAs
MMA Grappling: wrestling just like boxing in the purest since is tradtional BJJ is a traditional martial arts, Judo is a traditional martial arts

so MMA fighters are TMAs in a since they just combine them to make up their fighting styles to make the sport we love called MMA, so there is no mma vs tma a traditional muay thai practitioner can beat an mma guy and a mma guy could beat a traditional kung fu guy it all depends on who trains harder

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol:

I would quite happily take on any MMA fighter with my art ... no 'cage', no protective gear, none of that 'sports' cachet ... the only problem is they would be missing limbs or dead because that's where a martial art with history was born :lol:. No tapping out when your arms are gone :D.

Honestly, all too many take this subject all too seriously, as if it really mattered. It's a hobby for nearly all of us at the end of the day. We get enjoyment and fulfilment from it but it's hardly likely to be the centre of our universe (or indeed put to practical use).

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I would quite happily take on any MMA fighter with my art ... no 'cage', no protective gear, none of that 'sports' cachet ... the only problem is they would be missing limbs or dead because that's where a martial art with history was born :lol:. No tapping out when your arms are gone :D.

Honestly, all too many take this subject all too seriously, as if it really mattered. It's a hobby for nearly all of us at the end of the day. We get enjoyment and fulfilment from it but it's hardly likely to be the centre of our universe (or indeed put to practical use).
That's not playing fair Suk. How many times have you been told swords can be dangerous? :lfao:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not playing fair Suk. How many times have you been told swords can be dangerous? :lfao:

It's all fun & games till someone puts an eye out... or takes an arm off... :angel::ultracool

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hay now... now... no one said anything about swords and kama and such!!! you could hurt some one with those things!! what the heck is he doing with that paddle??:lfao::lfao:

oooo you could hurt some one that way!!:erg:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

We can use weapons...no one told me we could use weapons.....:hmm: jian, dao or staff......ooooooh I know the Guandao :D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
really if you break it down MMA fighters ARE TMAist look at the martial arts that make up MMA striking: boxing in the purest since is traditional muay thai is def a traditional martial arts and there are guys who have done TKD, Karate, Kung fu that mix these into there striking all TMAs
MMA Grappling: wrestling just like boxing in the purest since is tradtional BJJ is a traditional martial arts, Judo is a traditional martial arts

so MMA fighters are TMAs in a since they just combine them to make up their fighting styles to make the sport we love called MMA, so there is no mma vs tma a traditional muay thai practitioner can beat an mma guy and a mma guy could beat a traditional kung fu guy it all depends on who trains harder

True, but then you could run into the argument that since they are training from a sport perspective, it loses some of the tradition the style has when trained for "original purposes" i.e. self defense, discipline, etc. Thats just my two cents on an argument that could arise. Personally, I don't consider all MMA fighters as "TMAists" because I base it off of the style they know. I consider Boxing and Wrestling sports, not quite Martial Arts. So in my opinion, I do not consider the guy who trains in western boxing and wrestling a Martial Artist, I simply consider them a fighter. But, there are few MMA fighters who haven't taken at least one traditional martial art, so that doesnt come up. In case youre wondering, I distinguish sport from Martial Art by the belief that you can do a martial art your entire life. My first tournament, there was an 86 year old man competing. He only did forms, but his form looked good. It was apparent that he was able to really keep up with training. A boxer, can't keep fighting till the day he die. I will admit that a flaw in my logic there is muay thai.
I agree with your last statement. MMA is built up from traditional martial arts, so they do have their place there. An by no means is MMA better than any Traditional Martial Art, it all comes down to training. How hard, what you know, discipline, diversity, etc.

OP, I have friends that do MMA and they've never gave me crap for me studying Traditional Martial Arts instead, nor have they shown any distaste for it. Partially, cause they understand it's what started their sport, and partially cause they understand that we're training for different situations. I study TMA's for the self-defense, discipline, and growth I can achieve. They like contact sports and getting to beat someone up :p What I've noticed is that the people that bash styles, either MMA or TMA, on youtube tend to be the people who sit at home and talk about how they can do MMA without ever having stepped foot in a gym or training hall.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

TMA in white vs MMA in black:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a mma person I don't have to many issues with tma. The issues I do have, stem from the fact that, of the few TMA I have briefly trained, the training was way to easy. I never broke a sweat at all. Which considering this was a very well respected shorin ryu karate place I was kinda surprised and let down. Now I know I have posted in kata threads before I have learned much, about the nature of it, but the way some styles do kata is still odd to me. The mma in me thinks that instead of going through a set pattern that may or may not actually teach you anything, why not spend that time with a partner repping the moves your art contains? How much better would the skill of karate practitioners be if they spent more time with a partner and trainer actually repping the moves. But that is my issue with TMA. In a nutshell, I think they train to easy, and waste time not repping the actual moves.

I just prefer to have a partner actually throw a real attack at me, for me to rep the move on. I prefer to get hit if I make a mistake. I need my training to feel real and effective.

Tho ill tell you this, I hear from tma's I meet saying they hate the ego's in the mma gyms. Well I can say that ego's are infact horridly inflated in some mma gyms. I also feel that some mma gyms spar to much, and spend not enough time working on perfecting technique..

So to prevent a hijack, I already know that kata is complex and ill likely never understand it because I don't train a art that does kata.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just forgot to add, this. THis last criticism goes with my trains to easy complaint. Of the 5 TMA schools in my town, 4 of them train under a hour from start to finish. With 2 of them having beginner and intermediate classes of ONLY 30 minutes from start to finish. The only place to have class's longer then a hour was the WTF TKD place. How is 1 hour enough time to learn anything and get a good work out to prepare you to actually use the skills? WTF is the excuse for the very short class's???

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just forgot to add, this. THis last criticism goes with my trains to easy complaint. Of the 5 TMA schools in my town, 4 of them train under a hour from start to finish. With 2 of them having beginner and intermediate classes of ONLY 30 minutes from start to finish. The only place to have class's longer then a hour was the WTF TKD place. How is 1 hour enough time to learn anything and get a good work out to prepare you to actually use the skills? WTF is the excuse for the very short class's???

Are you sure they are TMA schools and not McDojo's?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
ITs the only places in town that follow the TMA format. The only other places are mma places, both of which are 2+ hour work outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions