MMA N.H. School recomendations

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have a cousin who is interested in MMA for exercise and not for competitive play, we live in Southern N.H. and i am unfamiliar with MMA and the people who teach MMA in our area, Does anyone know what i should be looking for as far as what the school is teaching or what types of MMA they are teaching or if you have a recommendation for a particular teacher/ school. any info wold be appreciated and Thanks in advance.

OP
ShawnP

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
40 views and not a single reply? not even in jest, man this is a tough crowd!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know the area so can't give a recommendation. However, if he just wants to do it for exercise any active school should be fine.
The only thing that I will say is that if he's trying to get in shape, there's a huge craze with exercise kickboxing, but I actually find ground work to be a much better workout, so I would suggest one that has a lot of ground classes. Requires a lot of stamina, and no need to be competitive.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone in the area, but if you can post websites from any gyms he might be considering I can check for any red flags.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Manchester NH Karate, Jujitsu, Kickboxing and Kung Fu at Terry Dow's Academy of Martial Arts

I trained with Terry Dow years ago, but he is a great guy, a lot of fun, and an awesome marital artist.
I was going to say that this might be a good school, but they don't appear to teach MMA. They have the words Mixed Martial Arts on the front page, but they don't have it on their list of programs or have any instructors with an MMA background.

Then I spotted that they have a second website which does explicitly state that they have an MMA program and fight team. However the schedule doesn't list any MMA classes.

I think the second website is the more up-to-date one, but it's still unclear whether they actually offer anything in the way of MMA.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They likely do not teach 'mma' as its own, but use kempo for striking, and bjj for grappling. By combining the two, you have a school set that could be used in MMA.

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was going to say that this might be a good school, but they don't appear to teach MMA. They have the words Mixed Martial Arts on the front page, but they don't have it on their list of programs or have any instructors with an MMA background.

Then I spotted that they have a second website which does explicitly state that they have an MMA program and fight team. However the schedule doesn't list any MMA classes.

I think the second website is the more up-to-date one, but it's still unclear whether they actually offer anything in the way of MMA.

I trained with Terry 15 years ago so I really cannot comment much on what is going on there now. I heard that he had an MMA team so I was just trying to be helpful. He has been teaching for decades.

OP
ShawnP

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anyone in the area, but if you can post websites from any gyms he might be considering I can check for any red flags.
here are a few i fond on google search. i think they may be incorporated with the same people since i see "Links" advertised here in one form or another. they all look great to me but i dont know what im looking for as far as the MMA style goes and whos who in the field.

Tokyo Joe's Studios Of Self Defense | Hooksett, NH

New Hampshire BJJ & MMA – Nashua – Team Triumph

Team Link Hooksett - Bjj, Mma, Mma Fighters

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OP
ShawnP

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OMG these forums hate me!!

Thanks Tortoise, ill check them out.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
here are a few i fond on google search. i think they may be incorporated with the same people since i see "Links" advertised here in one form or another. they all look great to me but i dont know what im looking for as far as the MMA style goes and whos who in the field.

Tokyo Joe's Studios Of Self Defense | Hooksett, NH

New Hampshire BJJ & MMA – Nashua – Team Triumph

Team Link Hooksett - Bjj, Mma, Mma Fighters

The first and second links are to different websites for the same academy. Neither one has any information on the background or qualifications of the instructors. In this day and age, I'm not sure why a school would ever leave out that information.

The second school (New Hampshire BJJ & MMA) looks to be a solid school with legit instructors.

I have heard good things about this place, and there is an MMA class on the schedule.

Professional Martial Arts Academy | Derry, New Hampshire

The head instructor of this school looks legit as well.

OP
ShawnP

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first and second links are to different websites for the same academy. Neither one has any information on the background or qualifications of the instructors. In this day and age, I'm not sure why a school would ever leave out that information.

The second school (New Hampshire BJJ & MMA) looks to be a solid school with legit instructors.

The head instructor of this school looks legit as well.
I have heard good things about this place, and there is an MMA class on the schedule.

Professional Martial Arts Academy | Derry, New Hampshire
Thanks guys, i think we are going to go and check this one out, he does seem to be legit and well known around the town of Derry. i made a few phone calls and it seems some friends of a friend know them well and highly recommend as well.