Minimum Wage discussion

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A wise man once said, "Make it a law that Congress makes minimum wage and everybody would be rich."

Random thought for the day...:wink:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
A wise man once said, "Make it a law that Congress makes minimum wage and everybody would be rich."

Random thought for the day...:wink:

Well at the $7.25 being discussed, I can see where this might be an improvement for some.

I know that many of the local jobs at fast food places were $8.00 or $8.50. With the recent local recession I know some have dropped back to $6.50 an hour at start.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Republican members of the House of Representatives have included a poison pill in this minimum wage bill.

They have included provisions to extend the Estate Tax repeal / reductions.

While this is being described as a windfall for the 'Paris Hilton's' of the world, which may not be fair, the provision does go a long way toward a stratified society, where equality of opportunity is not valued.

The United States Senate will quite probably kill this bill in conference.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the idea of more for minimum wage but my wages do not go up no matter what becasue the owners of the company i work for figures there is always someone looking fo a job and I or anyone can be replaced. Now that might not bother me so much but if minimum wages keep going up I'll soon be back to earning a minimum wage

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I like the idea of more for minimum wage but my wages do not go up no matter what becasue the owners of the company i work for figures there is always someone looking fo a job and I or anyone can be replaced. Now that might not bother me so much but if minimum wages keep going up I'll soon be back to earning a minimum wage

Is there anything that prevents you moving from the job you have to a different job within the same company; where that second job has a higher income potential?

Most occupations have some sort of 'career path'. The minimum wage is usually applied only to the very bottom rung of that career path.

I'm just curious what kind of job does not have a career path, and why one would choose to remain in that job.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
It looks like Congress is discussion the Minimum Wage. Check it out here: http://www.yahoo.com/s/357172

I must admit I'm not familiar with the history of the minimum wage, or its impact on people or businesses. It will be curious to see how it plays out. Typically those having minimum wage jobs are young (I had a few until last years in college) or relatively uneducated. Of course, there are exceptions...

Anyone here really familiar with how increases in the past affected both the business and its employees?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work at a nurseing home and am an aide there. I basicly wipe butts for a living at this time. I refuse to kiss the rear end of those that run the place and have little trouble telling them they need about twice the help to provide decent care for the residents. Because I am not a "yes man" and I point out the problems in the facility the only way I will ever make more money is to change shifts (which I am trying to do).
I guess I could go back to school but I am approching 60 and I truely can not afford to take time off to get my licence.
I could go back into the printing industry but to find a good paying job in that field I would have to relocate or pay so much for gas to travel to work as to not mak it worth my effort.
Basicly I screwed myslef when I decided to help people and to try to care for them insted of staying in a fied that paid much better. It is a sorry world when those that care for others are some of the lowest paying jobs .
If you have not guessed I live in a small rural area with not to many jobs to be had

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does not take a high level of skill to 'wipe butts'. So, yes, there is no reason to have upward pressure on the wages paid to those who undertake such a task. There is a certain amount of 'ick' factor, which I'm sure is why the wage is, perhaps, a bit more than the Federally mandated $5.15 per hour. And, of course, as a Massachusetts resident, you are guaranteed a minimum wage of $6.75 per hour.

I am vaguely familiar with the Route 2 corridor. It is a beautiful place to live and visit.

But, I agree, the lower spectrum of health care workers do get short shrift, because of the low skill requirements.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I appreciate tradrockrat's point. Congress gets annual raises, and they earn >$150,000, plus lifetime bennies. While I'm not suggesting that unskilled laborers should earn six figures, I do think it's disgraceful that our Congressional reps have been happily accepting their annual raises while all the time refusing to raise the minimum wage above $5.15 hr. $5.15 for cryin' out loud!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
do think it's disgraceful that our Congressional reps have been happily accepting their annual raises while all the time refusing to raise the minimum wage above $5.15 hr. $5.15 for cryin' out loud!

Unfortunately, that's a non-sequitar. You could raise the congressional salary by $10K a year and have pretty much no impact on the US economy (even tossing in Senators, that's a little more then half a million). However, raise the minimun wage $1/hr andit's going to have a huge ripple effect across the US, both positive and negative.

Whether the mininum wage whould be raised is an issue to discuss. Whether Congresscriiter salaries should be lower is another issue, but they really have nothing todo with each other

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well at the present $5.75 any type of raise in the minimum would be a VAST improvement... I really don't see HOW they think anyone can live on the amount 40+ hours a week with that present rate.
Basically there should be two types ... a minimum wage for those high-school kids still living with their parents and working their first job(s) and a higher minimum for those not living at home to really help make ends meet. Say for anyone verified 21 yrs or over.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
MA-Caver, that's the difference between a 'minimum wage' and what's called a 'living wage'. The 'minimum wage' is not currently intended to be a 'living wage' Should it be?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The minimum wage bill died quietly in the Senate. The Republican majority could not reach the filibuster-proof 60 votes to advance the bill. Final tally, 54 - 46.

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am a supporter of raising the minimum wage..

The bill died because some son-of-***** attached some kind estate tax break to it..

I hate ******* politics...screw the poor and middle class..

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be curious... how many people are actually making the minimum wage? Are there statistics on this? In certain places, the cost of living is higher. Is there a higher rate of minimum wage workers in places where the cost of living is lower? I personally have never met anyone legally working that makes the minimum wage, including fast food and other small chain stores. However, I have met several illegal workers (mostly Mexicans) who are making below the minimum wage (or very close to it).

How many people would this really affect? How many non-teenagers/first-jobbers would this affect?

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I'd be curious... how many people are actually making the minimum wage? Are there statistics on this? In certain places, the cost of living is higher. Is there a higher rate of minimum wage workers in places where the cost of living is lower? I personally have never met anyone legally working that makes the minimum wage, including fast food and other small chain stores. However, I have met several illegal workers (mostly Mexicans) who are making below the minimum wage (or very close to it).

How many people would this really affect? How many non-teenagers/first-jobbers would this affect?

I don't know the number but I bet it is a lot more then you think...

Don't get me going on ILLEGAL immigrants...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The numbers are easily available. Check the Department of Labor and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Approximately 30% of minimum wage earners are teenagers.

Of the people you meet, with how many do you discuss their wages? What do you earn?
Care to show us your W-2?

It is a topic that is generally not discussed in polite company, isn't it?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
The numbers are easily available. Check the Department of Labor and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Approximately 30% of minimum wage earners are teenagers.

Of the people you meet, with how many do you discuss their wages? What do you earn?
Care to show us your W-2?

It is a topic that is generally not discussed in polite company, isn't it?

Thanks for the numbers. Not in the mood to peruse the BoLS and DoL :)

When a company posts that $6.00 is the minimum starting wage, I don't need to run around asking their salaries. I've never seen anyone posting below $6.00 in this region (North Carolina, most areas). Thats why I'm asking if its regional, or common across the country.

Even at $6.00, which is above minimum, it would still be below the proposed new minimum. A move logical move would be to track the number with rate of inflation, adjusting perhaps once every few years. I also see no reason why the number should not be regional, since the cost of living is regional.

BTW, I don't tend to go around asking salaries. I do think thats private, but alot of people don't. I've been asked regularly what I make, and most times I just don't answer. Not their business...

Latest Discussions