military arts

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Looks kinda like one of the arts that I'm taking right now.

What I'm taking is called "Black Arts" its a military style of fighting used mainly for everyday attacks. The four main chapters of this style of art is hand to hand, hand to knife attacks, knife to knife, and pressure points or kyusho.
I don't necessarily carry a knife with me and I thought when I got my certificate with knife to knife combat, why would I want to carry a knife? Thats just heat on me. That is actually the easiest and first certificate to get and then it gets more involved with more moves and better take-outs as you move from hand to knife and then hand to hand.
This art is not a traditional type of martial art and the main reason it was started was to be a quick training method to get the soliders knowledgable about close quarter combat and get them on the field as soon as possible. That is why its not like traditional martial arts where you train for months or years until you get tested for your next belt. This is designed for one month of each and see ya later, ship em out.

I'm not as serious about this type of art, as I am with my jujitsu but I am learning it because its real life attacks. You can never know too much and I consider it life insurance.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone's got an opinion on this. Interesting video. Learning to kill someone, or seriously hurt them is not why I'm in the martial arts, so I guess it didn't speak to me. Valid points though.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The video seems to present a few interesting POVs. I will provide a running commentary as I watch it, hitting pause to type.

1. Krav Maga vs MMA - The video asks "why didn't Coleman get killed instantly by a shot to the larynx, groin, back of the head, etc..." There's an easy one to answer...the match had rules, duh. I know a bunch of us are thinking it, but I had to write it or it'd give me a headache.

2. Practicing techniques without contact - Elbows, headbutts, etc practiced without contact might provide a false sense of security, but so will being hit with a padded elbow on a padded headgear.

3. Kerr vs Stout - UFC figter vs former ranger...just look at the conditioning and ring experience.

4. Give a person on the street a stick to hit you with - Is this guy smoking crack?

5. MCAP Martial arts training Black belt after a year of 3 x a week - Let's ask the Marines about that one. According to MCO (Marine Corps Order)1500.54B dated 21 JUN 05, total official training hours required is 216 (according to my math, but I might have missed something) but each rank above tan belt (Tan, Grey, Green, Brown and Black) requires certain professional development courses that equate to an extened period of time and more compete warrior

I will try to post the MCAP curriculum or the link I found it at a later date.

6. Closing statement - reasons for military use of hand to hand are fairlyu representative, but the message at the end regarding laughter might result in a broken nose, especially from a PO'd marine.

7. Krav Maga vs NHB - Two different animals, two different threats. Period.

My two bits.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
The video seems to present a few interesting POVs. I will provide a running commentary as I watch it, hitting pause to type.

1. Krav Maga vs MMA - The video asks "why didn't Coleman get killed instantly by a shot to the larynx, groin, back of the head, etc..." There's an easy one to answer...the match had rules, duh. I know a bunch of us are thinking it, but I had to write it or it'd give me a headache.

2. Practicing techniques without contact - Elbows, headbutts, etc practiced without contact might provide a false sense of security, but so will being hit with a padded elbow on a padded headgear.

3. Kerr vs Stout - UFC figter vs former ranger...just look at the conditioning and ring experience.

4. Give a person on the street a stick to hit you with - Is this guy smoking crack?

5. MCAP Martial arts training Black belt after a year of 3 x a week - Let's ask the Marines about that one. According to MCO (Marine Corps Order)1500.54B dated 21 JUN 05, total official training hours required is 216 (according to my math, but I might have missed something) but each rank above tan belt (Tan, Grey, Green, Brown and Black) requires certain professional development courses that equate to an extened period of time and more compete warrior

I will try to post the MCAP curriculum or the link I found it at a later date.

6. Closing statement - reasons for military use of hand to hand are fairlyu representative, but the message at the end regarding laughter might result in a broken nose, especially from a PO'd marine.

7. Krav Maga vs NHB - Two different animals, two different threats. Period.

My two bits.
yeah you are right, kind of. I never agree with bringing 2 people from 2 different arts have them fight to judge which art is "better"! that's just not smart.
What i liked about this video is he said a military man is still "man" but with a military suit on him. It does not make him immortal or with super powers just because he has a suit on. It also amazed me that they can get a black belt with 260 hours of training. That's like half what you need for olympic TKD belt at a McDojo too. (no disrespect to TKD or McDojo's in general ;) )

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mantis said:
... video is he said a military man is still "man" but with a military suit on him. It does not make him immortal or with super powers just because he has a suit on.

It also amazed me that they can get a black belt with 260 hours of training. That's like half what you need for olympic TKD belt at a McDojo too. (no disrespect to TKD or McDojo's in general ;) )

I can attest to the military man comment since I am one. I am reminded of a Superman issue where he tries to console a child who thought that SM could save his father who was dying of cancer:

"...But you're SUPER-man?"

"No. I'm super-MAN."

Regarding the MCMAP vs McD's TKD, I can almost guarentee (but you'll have to ask a Marine currently serving, as I'm just an Army guy) that no one earns their black belt in the MCMAP in under a year. With the required professional development courses and everyday duties, I would imagine that it would take most Enlisted Marines the majority of their initial enlistment (3-4 years) to complete the requirements and testing for Black belt. I could be wrong, however.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me it looks like the typical hype for what this guy does. Kind of like, "Hey, lets put up a video online, discrediting all arts, so it'll prove what I do is the best."

IMHO, its all in the context of how one trains.

Latest Discussions