Middle Earth Returns!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Christopher Tolkien is publishing a new story of Middle Earth titled "The Children of Hurin". It appears his father began this epic and left it unfinished.

Christopher has been responsible for the massive body of work his father left and is responsible for the publication of The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle Earth and others.

As for me, I'm anticipating this new tale.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope though that his writing is not as dry as it was in the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle Earth. In other words I hope that he writes so that you can really feel what is going on.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree completely. Silmarillion was like reading a textbook in many places. I'm placing my hopes in the effort of 30 years to produce something of value and quality nearly equal that of LoTR.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree completely. Silmarillion was like reading a textbook in many places. I'm placing my hopes in the effort of 30 years to produce something of value and quality nearly equal that of LoTR.

I hope so to!
icon10.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope so too - I first read The Hobbit and LoTR when I was 12, but I've never made it straight through The Silmarillion...

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It took me three attempts to get through The Sil. Since then, I've read it a couple more times. THoME is a little more difficult for me.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it took me two times to get through the Sil. and I have not finished The History of Middle Earth. You definately want them for your collection but they are hard reading.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. It's exactly the depth of JRR's writing that makes the main novels so wonderful; but, that same depth makes the histories...well, like history class.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's exactly the depth of JRR's writing that makes the main novels so wonderful; but, that same depth makes the histories...well, like history class.

Yes. It is similar to the Frank Herberts son writing the new Dune series. He has the right ideas but just cannot execute with the same creative genious of the father.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it took me two times to get through the Sil. and I have not finished The History of Middle Earth. You definately want them for your collection but they are hard reading.

I didn't even try reading Silmarilion a second time, not that I even got a quarter of the way through the first time. Maybe now that I'm older it won't be so ummm. . .textbiblical? I can't think of the word for it, but maybe I've grown in a way to appreciate it now.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. It is similar to the Frank Herberts son writing the new Dune series. He has the right ideas but just cannot execute with the same creative genious of the father.

True; but, I think Brian realizes that. I've read all of his and Anderson's collaborations in the Dune 'verse. I like 'em. The cutting point, as with Chris, will be when the new Dune book comes out. Writing backstory/history is different than continuing a tale.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a huge LOTR fan and read all of Tolkiens works many times over the past 30 years but The Silmarilion was always tough reading for me. I hope this is a bit easier reading!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem with The Silmarillion is that it is a collection of stories from Middle Earth's early history, from the time of Creation and moving forward. It really is a history book. Because of this, there is very little dialog, and you don't get to know the characters in the same way that you do in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien created two languages, both elven, one based on Welsh and the other based on Finnish. He did this before he wrote any stories. Then, he didnt' know what to do with the languages. So he created a world (Middle Earth), and populated it with people to speak his languages. From this, he began writing his stories.

The stories that became The Silmarillion were his early stories, written much earlier than The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. He was a young soldier fighting in the trench battles of WWI, while he was formulating these first stories. In a way, he intended for them to become something of an "English Mythology". I believe he was sort of lamenting the way many cultures have a deep creation mythology, but England did not. So he was kind of creating this, in a way.

Later, he wrote the Hobbit, published in the 1930s. Demand was high for a sequel, so he eventually started The Lord of the Rings, intending for it to be much shorter than The Hobbit. It was not published until tne 1950s, it just kept growing and it took him that long to complete it.

Much of what Christopher Tolkien has been publishing (some dozen or more volumes) are old notes of his Father's. They include stories that didn't make it into the Silmarillion, as well as early versions of the stories that did. That is one of the interesting things about JRR. He would write these stories, then rewrite them using a poetic medium, and then rewrite them again. So it is kind of interesting to see how some of these stories changed and grew into their "final" version that made it into the Silmarillion. The Silmarillion was very problematic for Christopher, as many of these stories were never fully "Finished" by his father. There were inconsistencies from story to story that just didn't add up, but JRR didn't live long enough to really complete them utterly. So Christopher did his best to pull them together and reconcilled them as well as he could, and published the work to get these stories out to the public.

The many subsequent volumes that Christopher has been publishing are mainly collections of these notes. They are not exciting to read, and are really rather dry and academic. For the most part, they should really only be attempted by hardcore Tolkien fanatics. All others will die of boredom long before you complete them.

I have noticed that in one of the later volumes, Christopher has published the beginnings of another sequel that was started by JRR. It goes on for I think about 20 pages, but that is all the farther he got. I haven't read it yet, being bogged down in one of the earlier volumes, but I did notice its existence. Maybe Christopher took this and expanded upon it. Maybe JRR left other notes outlining where he intended to take this story, and perhaps that is what Christopher has fleshed out.

At any rate, I look forward to anything that brings out more of Mr. Tolkien's work. I guess I'm one of the hardcore Tolkienophiles who is willing to wade thru just about anything that he has written.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, now that I have gone to the website and read the description, this is clearly not the sequel that JRR had begun and was published by Christopher in one of the subsequent works.

The Children of Hurin, like the website states, has been told, at least in part, in several of the other volumes. It is a good story. If it is written in the intimate style that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were written, it could be a great epic story.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've read the Silmarillion several times.

There are some heart-wrenching tragedies that are very compelling.

I suggest for those who are unable to "make it through," to pick one of the shorter stories in the middle which have more dialogue and are less "historical."

Glad to hear Christopher is making another go at it.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife will be happy to hear of a new book. She loves the whole Middle Earth thing. Personally I missed the boat and started to follow The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant and never could get into the swing of these books. Even though I have read all of them because my kids loved them as bedtime stories.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I liked the Thomas Covenant books, but found them very depressing. Very.

Kinda heavy subject matter for bedtime stories, though, IMO, with the rape and Tom's dealing with the guilt thereof...

or did you mean Tolkien's Middle Earth was the bedtime stories?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Covenant books were remarkable, especially the first three. I read them years ago. I still have a fondness for Saltheart.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love Tolkien, but I will not be reading this book.

I have read the Similarian, Unfinished Tales and a few other things.

It seems to me that aside from the books that actually made it to print when he was alive, none of the books actually were meant to be read by the typical reader. The various histories and such were a means that Tolkien used to flesh out his world. No one had to read them except him.

If he had rewritten this new book so that it was to be published before he died, I am sure it would be something I would want to read. But it was not and is probably more of a reference like the other works he wrote, but never re-wrote for release.