Michael Schiavo's side of the story...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Updated: 12:27 p.m. ET March 27, 2006
This interview aired Dateline Sunday, March 26.

CLEARWATER, FLA. - Michael Schiavo, the man who was praised by some and vilified by others for fighting to remove his wife Terri’s feeding tube, has decided to tell his side of the story.
“For 15 years, people had a lot to say that didn’t even know me. Now it’s my turn to talk,” he now says.
Schiavo invited us to his home in Clearwater, Florida to talk about the bitter battle that divided two families and gained the attention of the pope, the president and Congress. It’s all in his new book “Terri the Truth.”

Full Article

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem here is that we can't judge someone's intention to end their life on a simple; “If I ever become a burden to anybody, don’t ever let me live like that.”. I'm sure he is telling the truth on what she said that day but come on! That was so many years ago and it was so sketchy.

If someone wants someone else to end their life when they reach such a stage there should be a will or some better proof than just "She briefly told me this some time ago". Life is important and the most fundamental aspect of liberty. It can't be judged on a single statement a long time ago.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife & I read the what I assume was a partial interview online. It seemed to us both that there was a shift in thought process for Michael that seemed to say, "Its time to end this misery for Terry" rather than, "This is what she said she wanted." As her husband, he's within his right to say that. But it didn't seem as if that was his Plan A between he & Terry. Few people think thru that in their 20's.

I'm not on either side of the debate here. I think its a shame that this divided a poor woman's family during a time when families should be together.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Make sure you have a Trust or will set-up for you. So if something similar happens to you? It will be in writing.

The amount of family still fighting over assests and belongings happens everyday. The families start to hate each other forever.

Prevention is better than to try find a cure. Even the little things...make sure who gets what , if you die today?

Make a list? .....be fair and equal amoung family.

Look what is best for you and your family? A Living trust or just a will?

Trust can be settle in two weeks.....will ?one year-two years probate.

Seek a professonal lawyer who is an expert in this field. (Yellow pages is a good place to start). .........Aloha ( I have a living trust)

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a couple of things you all may want to think of having, a will or a trust depending on your assets (goes to taxation and probate issues), a Living Will which goes to the Schiavo thing, and a Durable Power of Attorney. These documents would facilitate a lot of the process should God forbid tragedy strike. Going to what Still Learning just put, one thing I always tell clients is if you have more than one sibling or person that will inherit, try not to devise the assets, either force a sale of for example the home and let them take in equal shares, or leave the house to one, the bank accounts to the other, ect.

I never really thought Michael Schiavo was a bad guy, while I dont really care one way or the other for Felos, I think Schiavo, Michael was unfairly demonized through all of this. I am sorry, but had that woman for argument's sake been alive in that state, the feeding tube is one of the most painful experiences anyone that has gone through it can tell you about. More importantly, he was her husband, he moved on, sure a lot of us would not have, I dont know if I could, but its not like he was cheating on her, he could have still loved Terry Schiavo and could not bear to keep her in that state any longer. A lot of people say that he somehow caused this but there was never any evidence of abuse. The point to all this is get a will, take the time to meet with an atty, and write up a will so that your last wishes are carried out. Sure it will run you anywhere from $150-$300 or so, but it is so important, it saves so many headaches not just in cases like Schiavo but in devising assets as well. You would be surprised how many family quarrels arise through intestacy.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Few people think thru that in their 20's.
But, Iceman, some of them do. I am only 25 and I already have, I did it a while ago. I am even in the process of setting up a will and power of attorney should something like this happen to me, my folks are in charge and know what to do (I am not married). Eventually if I do get married I will probably do the living will thing too, but for now I am comfortable with what I have.
I am not morbid, nor do I think I will die tomorrow, but I am a realist and I know I could get hit by some drunk driver tomorrow, cause **** happens to everyone no matter what your age is, how much money you have or how pretty you are.
There are exceptions to every rule where people are involved and though I don't know what her true wishes were or if they were ever expressed, there is nothing that says once she saw someone else in a similar situation, that she didn't discuss it with her hubby.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
If someone wants someone else to end their life when they reach such a stage there should be a will or some better proof than just "She briefly told me this some time ago". Life is important and the most fundamental aspect of liberty. It can't be judged on a single statement a long time ago.
Actually, it can. It was.

I know where you're coming from Kane, but really, when the investigated later they found little more than a brain stem, and the rest was a liquified pulp... I really don't think any "life" was 'ended'. I know that this is just my personal opinion...but I think that Terri's wishes were followed through and the ONLY person who could make the call.....did.

Your Brother
John

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Terri had been dead for years...
actuly one year witch is what prompted the interview plus michel has a book out now too.I think that ending her life was mercyful after the autopsy showed what was left of her brain. At the time i was against her life being ended, but i couldnt see the bigger picture that maybe that this was what she really would have wanted. I have sense then gotten engaged and if i would be in a situation like htat would want to be let go i wouldnt want to burden my family or prefent my husband from having a normal happy life.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Actually, it can. It was.

I know where you're coming from Kane, but really, when the investigated later they found little more than a brain stem, and the rest was a liquified pulp... I really don't think any "life" was 'ended'. I know that this is just my personal opinion...but I think that Terri's wishes were followed through and the ONLY person who could make the call.....did.

Your Brother
John

Unfortunately, there are probably quite a few people who don't believe this. I was "discussing" this with my father (typical knee-jerk Bush worshipper) and his response is that the loss of brain tissue happened either because of the method of death or that it was just a vicious left-wing activist media conspiracy cover up. He even suggested that liberals wanted to actively kill her. He couldn't explain why, just that that's the kind of thing liberals do.

Go figure.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
...ok......
well;

I'm a conservative Republican, I like Pres. Bush....
I'm Christian..
and I even listen to Rush Limbaugh....

But I still think the RIGHT thing happened in the end. FINALLY.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions