Mexican ID Becomes Valid ID in Sonoma County

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mexican ID Becomes Valid ID in Sonoma County
Mexican nationals will be able to show ID from their home country in Sonoma County.
By Chris Roberts
| Monday, Oct 24, 2011 | Updated 1:43 PM PDT NBC Bay Area EXCERPT:

Mexican nationals will be able to give their country's state-issued identification cards as valid ID to Santa Rosa police officers and Sonoma County sheriffs the same as a California license.

In Sonoma County, a California driver's license is accepted as valid identification -- but so is a card issued by the Mexican consulate.

Mexican nationals will be able to give their country's state-issued identification cards as valid ID to Santa Rosa police officers and Sonoma County sheriffs, the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reported.

The idea is to reduce the immigration-related duties of local cops, the newspaper reported. Accepting Mexican consulate-issued cards will reduce the number of people booked into jail for lacking ID, and ergo, will reduce deportations from Santa Rosa County Jail, the newspaper reported.

"Today is a great day," Sonoma County Assistant Sheriff Lorenzo Dueñas said. "We're now going to accept the matriculár consular ID."
END EXCERPT
That is a lousy, misinformed, disinformation spreading headline. NO, the matricular consular is NOT a legally valid ID anywhere in the United States.
It is nothing more than photo ID for illegal aliens. One might as well carry a card emblazoned with the words "Illegal Alien, Deport Me NOW".
It is sad that Sonoma county and it's sheriff's department have decided to ignore the law, it is outrageous, but, few will be outraged and those of us that are, will be painted as racists or xenophobes.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got news. It ain't a big deal. It's a "government issued ID card." It's not proof of anything other than the person's identity. My guess is that someone just clarified a policy, because either the home ID or the consular ID card is acceptable proof of IDENTITY (not residence) in most places. In fact, I suspect (I'd have to look it up) that we are required by treaty to recognize the consular card as valid proof of identity. I deal with them all the time from El Salvador -- which has a consulate office that issues them just outside of Potomac Mills Mall. Yep, we see valid foreign ID cards listing a residence in the US and issued here in the US.

(I also believe our consul's offices and embassies can do the same in other countries.)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And how is that any different as me using my Ontario driver's license as ID in the US?

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

It will be soon. I live in a city where consulate cards are part of the care package for illegal immigrates by their countries - the least their countries could do for them so we can have cheap labor. Having such a card, lets them off the hook for lots of things. Like shucking the responsibility of being legal. Which angers allot of people who went thought the immigration process to become legal citizens. No line jumping.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will be soon. I live in a city where consulate cards are part of the care package for illegal immigrates by their countries - the least their countries could do for them so we can have cheap labor. Having such a card, lets them off the hook for lots of things. Like shucking the responsibility of being legal. Which angers allot of people who went thought the immigration process to become legal citizens. No line jumping.

LOL

Also, there is ID and there the green card.

The ID just says who you are and not what (in term of immigration status.) Or they would have a green card :D

But I shall keep you posted how Bama is gonna do with the harshest immigration law. I'm sure come spring thing with heat up - politically.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
More seriously, the motivations about this issue become pretty transparent when it is always Mexicans we keep hearing about, and never the dangers of illegal Chinese or Canadians come to take our jerbs.
What a crock. That porous borders and lax immigration and visa enforcement is a threat isn't remotely questionable.
It isn't always Mexicans, but, when the VAST majority of illegal aliens are from Mexico or enter through Mexico, it IS going to be about MEXICO.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My concern with our Southern border isn't illegal aliens. It's the drug trafficking and violence that spills over our porous borders. Poor people desperate enough to risk their lives to cross into America for a minimum wage job is a different issue from drugs pouring in from Mexico, and the drugs and weapons trades that accompany them.

I see a clear distinction between the two. IF they were the same, we'd be up in arms about the illegal workers from Canada. But we're not, because the only thing we really get from Canada is weed, and we grow plenty of our own.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My concern with our Southern border isn't illegal aliens. It's the drug trafficking and violence that spills over our porous borders. Poor people desperate enough to risk their lives to cross into America for a minimum wage job is a different issue from drugs pouring in from Mexico, and the drugs and weapons trades that accompany them.

I see a clear distinction between the two. IF they were the same, we'd be up in arms about the illegal workers from Canada. But we're not, because the only thing we really get from Canada is weed, and we grow plenty of our own.

You forgot Justin Bieber......

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a crock. That porous borders and lax immigration and visa enforcement is a threat isn't remotely questionable.
It isn't always Mexicans, but, when the VAST majority of illegal aliens are from Mexico or enter through Mexico, it IS going to be about MEXICO.

Then Where's The Outrage that foreign visitors of every nationality can use their own foreign IDs for identification purposes?

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
More seriously, the motivations about this issue become pretty transparent when it is always Mexicans we keep hearing about, and never the dangers of illegal Chinese or Canadians come to take our jerbs.

Here is the problem with this statement, first isn't just Mexicans it a large part of Central America, who will be our next state. Ok all of it except for Costa Rico. Sadly to the dismay of all of Mexico and Central America we the US are lumping y'all together, yes you will have to share the consulate cards and the bike lanes. No one likes to stand in a bureaucratic line, sorry no fast pass, but that is what will happen when you become legal. Sorry, Costa Ricans get grandfathered in. Just the way it is.

Second of all, Canada, sorry we the US will become your next province and Central America (for now), and don't expect us to learn French, or say aboot for about. The official languages of Canada will include English, French and Spanish, and expect a fair amount of Spanglish, and those with thick Chicago accents. Your new Anthem will be "American Woman."

As far as China goes, well, she owns us, so they aint illegal immigrants. All those Chinese who can't fit in China have to live somewhere.

"We are the world....." :)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then Where's The Outrage that foreign visitors of every nationality can use their own foreign IDs for identification purposes?
They aren't talking about ID's used in Mexico, ONLY about the matricular consular. Which isn't issued to people living IN Mexico.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

In most cases I think that would be "less than minimum wage" job. One that most Americans would turn their noses up to.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In most cases I think that would be "less than minimum wage" job. One that most Americans would turn their noses up to.

Heck, even if it's above minimum, some jobs the natives don't take. Or do poorly when they have them.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heck, even if it's above minimum, some jobs the natives don't take. Or do poorly when they have them.

Well I don't hire a maid, my landscaper was a legal Japanese immigrant (when I had grass), and I don't hire contractors with per diem workers or who themselves or their workers that aren't legal. Because I hate having the bathroom door between the wall and the toliet. Makes the door impossible to close. And Carlos says the rest.

SUMS IT UP

Last edited by a moderator: