Men's Intermediate Kata at USKA Nationals

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought with out a doubt he looked better than 2nd place and him and 1st place was close.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought with out a doubt he looked better than 2nd place and him and 1st place was close.

I agree , I don't really like putting other martial artists down because at the end of the day they're out there competing and I'm not. But seeing it live and then re-watching the video , I do not understand how he didn't get 2nd. H-form 6 is a super common form, but not the most technically difficult, so I agree that he was closer to the 1st place form than 3rd. That's just my opinion though, it's slightly bias.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every judge has his own opinion and there's no such thing as a wrong opinion. That's how it goes in competition it's decided by opinions

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Every judge has his own opinion and there's no such thing as a wrong opinion. That's how it goes in competition it's decided by opinions
Totally agree, that's why I am just happy my students are out there competing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
His sidekicks hurt his score, just needs to work on his flexibility. And that little balance bobble at the 45 second mark cost some deductions.

But good for him. He went out and competed. And finished in the money. Tell him to keep up the good work, brother.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I though he was poor, till I saw first ahe second they were terible, he was robbed

Everyone in this particular division will have about 2-3 years experience. So you'll see average at best. My student has roughly two years experience , so he's right around where I expect at that mark.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Totally agree, that's why I am just happy my students are out there competing.
That's why when I competed I never got upset by judges results especially for forms. You never know what judges like. Some like low stances some like high stances some like the forms done fast some like slow. I've won form comps in the past and I've also come last. It's the way the game works.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree , I don't really like putting other martial artists down because at the end of the day they're out there competing and I'm not. But seeing it live and then re-watching the video , I do not understand how he didn't get 2nd. H-form 6 is a super common form, but not the most technically difficult, so I agree that he was closer to the 1st place form than 3rd. That's just my opinion though, it's slightly bias.
Not my ilk and I know the 1st place guy was pretty tall but were his stances very, very wide?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not my ilk and I know the 1st place guy was pretty tall but were his stances very, very wide?

First and second place guy were 6’7 . But I don’t know what you mean by “ not my ilk,” what’s ilk?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may be a stylistic thing, but there wasn't a whole lot of "oomph" in any of their forms. The 1st place guy certainly made it look like he had oomph, with his face/attitude, but it didn't seem to translate to his body during the motions. Not sure if that made sense, and I can explain it more if needed, but is this something normal in your style?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First and second place guy were 6’7 . But I don’t know what you mean by “ not my ilk,” what’s ilk?
ilk , is something similar enough to other things to be placed into an informal classification with them. so you could say all Japanese striking arts are of the same ilk, but judo is not

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not at all my style (MKD TKD). So I cannot/should not criticize what I may not understand is all I meant. I see wider stances in Okinawan styles but his seemed extreme to me so I wondered how others viewed them.

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't like to be mean, but how is that second guy at the intermediate level? Maybe he is better at sparring. I looked up his school (Palm Springs Karate) and it says it's Shotokan, but I don't recognize the kata (not that I know many). Anyone know what it is?

This may be a stylistic thing, but there wasn't a whole lot of "oomph" in any of their forms. The 1st place guy certainly made it look like he had oomph, with his face/attitude, but it didn't seem to translate to his body during the motions. Not sure if that made sense, and I can explain it more if needed, but is this something normal in your style?

I agree, but maybe this is a style or personal preference thing. I remember back in the day at my first dojo, we had a range of folks who did kata very gently to looking like they might give themselves an aneurysm. I personally like the oomph, but perhaps the technique can shine better with a more gentle approach.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like to be mean, but how is that second guy at the intermediate level? Maybe he is better at sparring. I looked up his school (Palm Springs Karate) and it says it's Shotokan, but I don't recognize the kata (not that I know many). Anyone know what it is?

The school is not shotokan....its Shorin Ryu.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I agree, but maybe this is a style or personal preference thing. I remember back in the day at my first dojo, we had a range of folks who did kata very gently to looking like they might give themselves an aneurysm. I personally like the oomph, but perhaps the technique can shine better with a more gentle approach.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
The school is not shotokan....its Shorin Ryu.
Guess there's two schools with the same name. Makes sense why it doesn't look like a Shotokan kata, though.
I am pretty certain they are Heian (Pinan, Pyong Ahn) forms. The numbers change from style/school so not sure there.

It's definitely not Shotokan, and it doesn't really look like the Shorin Ryu pinan katas to me either. According to their website their head instructor Mr. Holtzman teaches a style called "Hoken Soken." I couldn't find their katas anywhere though , which is unfortunate, because I was really interested to see what their style looked like across the board.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's definitely not Shotokan, and it doesn't really look like the Shorin Ryu pinan katas to me either. According to their website their head instructor Mr. Holtzman teaches a style called "Hoken Soken." I couldn't find their katas anywhere though , which is unfortunate, because I was really interested to see what their style looked like across the board.

It's a branch of Shorin Ryu. Hohan Soken was the founder of it.....it is also referred to as Matsumara Seito Shorin Ryu.

I'm guessing whoever built the site spelled the name wrong.

Mr Holtzman was a student of Phillip Koepel

United States Karate-Do Kai Karate History

Latest Discussions