Meaning of heavy hands?

M

makaman

Aloha to all. I have been training for just almost a year now in Kempo. We have a saturday class that's optional for those that would like to spar, however this day no one showed up so I sparred with my Sensei. When we were done he mentioned that I had "heavy hands". My question would be what exactly does that mean to have "heavy hands"? While sparring one does not use full power as it is a controlled environment. I am 6'0 weigh about 260 and work out often, so I know strength wise i am above average. Does this refer to power potential, if not how would one without "heavy hands" develop this?

Makani

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In boxing terms, 'heavy hands' means that you hit hard. Take George Foreman, for example. He was legendary for how hard he hit, and everybody said he has heavy hands.

As far as developing them, I think a lot of bagwork + padwork against increasing resistance would help. A successful San Da coach talked about developing punching power by hitting the pads + bag with increasing resistance.

Start out by hitting a still heavy bag. After you feel comfortable with that, start swinging the bag directly away from you and hitting it when it reaches the vertical position again. Start w/ gentle swings and work your way out.

For the pad work (focus pads w/ a partner), start by just hitting the pads. When you feel comfortable w/ that, start having your partner 'hit' your punches (swing gently toward the punch to provide increased resisitance). Have your partner increase the resistance gradually.

OP
M

makaman

thank you for explaining this, as what you say makes sense. Growing up my uncle had a home gym with a heavy bag. I use to work out there and then when done I would hit the bag to help loosen me up, plus it was a good sweat. :)

OP
K

KenpoGuy71

heavy hands = a state of dynamic relaxation