May 10th, access problems - Being looked into.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are experiencing some serious access issues today. Massive page no found errors, etc. The situation is being looked into and I will update as possible.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Issue should now be resolved. If you still can't see the site.....you obviously can't read this. :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was it a configuration problem, or something far more serious than that (like a virus or hack)?

- Ceicei

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DNS issue. I'm waiting on more intel at the moment.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Uh, DNS issue? My copy of Symantec corporate and the couple of hours I've spent trying to fix the Trojan pushed by the front page url would disagree.

Specfically, the trojan pushes itself as Active Desktop web content along with a fake shortcut button on the right hand side of the windows taskbar that nags you about spyware. Symantec automatically blocked the content. It's manfested as files called r.exe and file[1].exe.

Firefox shields you. Unfortunately, I stupidly thought Firefix might have a bug, so I switched to IE, which is how I got it.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, thats the second notice I have that happened. Can you send me more details please? I didn't see any AVS notices myself. (Running AVG and Firefox on 2k with popups disabled.)

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Ok, thats the second notice I have that happened. Can you send me more details please? I didn't see any AVS notices myself. (Running AVG and Firefox on 2k with popups disabled.)
Edited my post. 2 random-number.exe files and an .ani file, to boot. Identified as a desktop-hijacking trojan by Symantec. Running Hijakcthis didn't pull anything suspicious. I've still got the fake icon (looks like a triangle and exxlamation point with an XP-style alert.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a page with 3 iframes sized 1x1 one tried to open a pop up, but I'm on a Linux system and din't get hit by a the trojan.

I'll PM you the three sites that where in the iframes, so no one clikcs them by accident :D

PS - This was only on the main page, all others gave file not found errors, plus a extra we couldn't find the error page bit.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was receiving 404 errors (server unavailable).

NAV also blocked a trojan horse for me:

... Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\classload.jar-395077c2-614aad08.zip
Click for more information about this threat: Trojan.ByteVerify

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AKA: Java/ByteVerify

This virus abuses the security vulnerability in Java Virtual Machine described in MS03-011, which gives posibility of runing potentially dangerous operation to java program (like working with files).

Trojan horse using this vulnerability changes Internet Explorer Home page.

The fix is available on Microsoft web pages like WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, based on my research so far, something compromised the server causing random traffic to redirect to a site that contained the ByteVerify virus. This happened between 10:45AM and 1:15PM Eastern Time.

If your antivirus caught it, you should be ok.

If you were running IE, and have either not kept the system up to date, are not running antivirus software, or are but are way behind on your updates, you may have been compromised.

I strongly recommend that you verify your antivirus is current, and running, and then do a complete system check.
Also, make certain your OS is upto date as well.
Doing a spyware scan couldn't hurt either.

This issue only effects Windows users, using non-updated OS and IE.
Linux/Mac folks should be fine, as should those running current FireFox or other non-IE browsers and current AVS.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
This issue only effects Windows users, using non-updated OS and IE.
Which is a very common theme for attacks...

Lesson being, up date your system regullarly and don't run IE or you are at a very high risk of infection.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Issue should now be resolved. If you still can't see the site.....you obviously can't read this. :)

From this moment on you shall be called MOTO.

Master of the Obvious. LOL you are the man, thanks for working so hard so the rest of us have something to do at work.

V/R

Rick

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
if we dont use IE should we still have some problems? i never was propted by my anit virus stuff that something hit, and its up to date, and im on a school server ...so should i be ok?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
if we dont use IE should we still have some problems? i never was propted by my anit virus stuff that something hit, and its up to date, and im on a school server ...so should i be ok?
If you're on a school server, the IT people usually are quick to catch those problems. I think you're ok.

- Ceicei

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am running IE and just did another scan in addition to the one that is constantly running and found nothing. I also had the glitch earlier.

V/R
Rick

Latest Discussions