MA's + non-MA's?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night I went out for the first time in a LONG time. Laura was working and I had my Mother watch the Ruffians so I could go out to my Brothers bachelor party. I just had a couple of Pepsi's all night and overall it was a blast. Just as a note to others, mixing rednecks, alcohol, and explosive devices makes for an interesting evening. I remember hearing "We are going to blow something up tonight just to make Loren laugh!" They did, something minor, but never the less, it was something else to see.

The mix was about 50/50 between his MA friends and everyday friends. All but one stayed mostly sober and only one guy got totally drunk, but he always does, so everybody knew he would. What I noticed was that it was a good mix with everybody mingling together and not segregating to MA guys and non-MA guys. A couple of continuing questions that was asked over and over was "Who trains with Loren?" "Is he tough?" The one comment I heard about two dozen times when they found out somebody trained was "Man I wouldn't have guessed he could kick my butt." So that leads to my question to all of you. Do you find that your non-MA friends are sure that your MA friends are tough guys/gals? We all know that not everybody is at the top of the heap when it comes to training and ability, but is it really that widespread the notion that if you train in a MA it automatically makes you somebody who could hold their own in a fight? I never have been in that big of group of people who some trained, some didn't, and it took me by surprise when I heard those comments.

docmartin252

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oddly enough I encountered the same situation when I was in high school about five years ago. There were a group of guys that didn't like me very much until they found out through the grapevine that I was a black belt in karate. After that they tried to be my friends and kept asking me if i could beat them up. Fortunetly they were too worried to try so no one got in trouble, but this made me realize how others perceived martial artists.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the guys I know firmly believe that they could win *any* fight, regardless of training.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last night I went out for the first time in a LONG time. Laura was working and I had my Mother watch the Ruffians so I could go out to my Brothers bachelor party. I just had a couple of Pepsi's all night and overall it was a blast. Just as a note to others, mixing rednecks, alcohol, and explosive devices makes for an interesting evening. I remember hearing "We are going to blow something up tonight just to make Loren laugh!" They did, something minor, but never the less, it was something else to see.

The mix was about 50/50 between his MA friends and everyday friends. All but one stayed mostly sober and only one guy got totally drunk, but he always does, so everybody knew he would. What I noticed was that it was a good mix with everybody mingling together and not segregating to MA guys and non-MA guys. A couple of continuing questions that was asked over and over was "Who trains with Loren?" "Is he tough?" The one comment I heard about two dozen times when they found out somebody trained was "Man I wouldn't have guessed he could kick my butt." So that leads to my question to all of you. Do you find that your non-MA friends are sure that your MA friends are tough guys/gals? We all know that not everybody is at the top of the heap when it comes to training and ability, but is it really that widespread the notion that if you train in a MA it automatically makes you somebody who could hold their own in a fight? I never have been in that big of group of people who some trained, some didn't, and it took me by surprise when I heard those comments.

:lookie: what? no dancing girl? what kind of a bachelor party is that? :rolleyes: :D

(j/k)

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
:lookie: what? no dancing girl? what kind of a bachelor party is that? :rolleyes: :D

(j/k)

That was the one thing he insisted on, he didn't want a stripper there. We all respect him enough to honor that easy one. I did offer to put on a thong if anybody wanted a lap dance, but, thank you God, there were no takers (I did think I was going to get beat up though :) )

and you remember being there and what you said and did..???

Yep, I drank only Pepsi. Had to go home and take care of the Ruffians during the night, so their well being came before having a couple.

And talked about what happened, which goes against all bachelor party protocol?!??

Not really, I left out the really incriminating things. :) Will add that I NEVER ate so good at a bachelor party before. Pulled pork sandwiches, spicy Moose meat meatballs, Moose chili, and more frigging sides than most restaurants offer on their menus.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was the one thing he insisted on, he didn't want a stripper there. We all respect him enough to honor that easy one. I did offer to put on a thong if anybody wanted a lap dance, but, thank you God, there were no takers (I did think I was going to get beat up though :) )
Yep, I drank only Pepsi. Had to go home and take care of the Ruffians during the night, so their well being came before having a couple.
Not really, I left out the really incriminating things. :) Will add that I NEVER ate so good at a bachelor party before. Pulled pork sandwiches, spicy Moose meat meatballs, Moose chili, and more frigging sides than most restaurants offer on their menus.
Sounds like a nice quiet little party... been there done that... been to the other end of the spectrum as well. Still haven't figured out which is better. Need to go to a few more. :uhyeah:

Drac said:
and you remember being there and what you said and did..??
uhh, I don't drink... so remembering isn't a problem. :uhyeah:

CoryKS said:
Drac said:
and you remember being there and what you said and did..??
And talked about what happened, which goes against all bachelor party protocol?!??
I don't think there's a knowledgeable woman alive that doesn't have an idea about what (can) happen during bachelor parties. They can be just as guilty at their own versions... ever hear of Chippendale's fella? Same ting.
Plus they're more expensive so I hear. There goes some of the honeymoon money!