Martial Boxing Training

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
This to KPM or others with experience. If there aren’t any teachers that teach this blend or hybrid of boxing / WC in my area, what would be the best way to train to incorporate and / or blend in both? Like I said in other posts years ago I used to train like this with the implementation of Bagua and I found it extremely effective against other CMA’s and for self defense.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started with boxing. My dad was a golden gloves and he had me in gloves before I could ride a bike.

Many believe boxing and WC aren't compatible, but my WC has always been colored by it. I would say attain a strong base in one, then train in the other under a solid instructor. They should eventually just blend together in your sparring game in time.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^^ What he said! I'd recommend training at a boxing gym and getting a good solid foundation in western boxing. Then start going to some of Keith Mazza's seminars (or someone else's) to pick up on some Wing Chun. Or find a friend that does Wing Chun and do some training and exchanging with him. What really counts in any martial art is the "engine"....the biomechanics of how it moves and deals with force. This is what takes awhile to learn well. Second to that is the concepts and strategies the art uses. After that is the actual techniques. But once you have the core biomechanics down well, you can refine the actual techniques used by drawing from any art that is compatible. And you don't necessarily have to study that art from the ground up.

And once you have a good foundation, you CAN learn things from videos. Either DVDs covering Wing Chun or from youtube pages like mine or Paul Rackemann's. The important thing with that though, is have a like-minded partner or partners to work through the material with you.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
^^^^^^ What he said! I'd recommend training at a boxing gym and getting a good solid foundation in western boxing. Then start going to some of Keith Mazza's seminars (or someone else's) to pick up on some Wing Chun. Or find a friend that does Wing Chun and do some training and exchanging with him. What really counts in any martial art is the "engine"....the biomechanics of how it moves and deals with force. This is what takes awhile to learn well. Second to that is the concepts and strategies the art uses. After that is the actual techniques. But once you have the core biomechanics down well, you can refine the actual techniques used by drawing from any art that is compatible. And you don't necessarily have to study that art from the ground up.

And once you have a good foundation, you CAN learn things from videos. Either DVDs covering Wing Chun or from youtube pages like mine or Paul Rackemann's. The important thing with that though, is have a like-minded partner or partners to work through the material with you.

Thanks for the detailed reply. IMO and my experience western boxing should be the engine for me. I live in Philly so there’s plenty of gyms around.

Reactions: KPM
OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score

Haven’t boxed for a while. Most of the gyms around here are for training for competition though.

Latest Discussions