mARTIAL ARTS ON ESPN 2

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On ESPN 2 they had Shidokan Karate, they skipped a lot of rounds. What are the rules and each round they emphasize a certain style of Martial Arts, Full contact rd, kickboxing rd, grappling rd etc. How do the rounds go with want style they use.
Bob:asian:

T

TLH3rdDan

i just finished watching that here in nashville some really good fights sucked that they skipped some of the rounds... not sure but its supposed to be 3 rounds 1st bare knuckle karate everything is legal but no head shots, 2nd round kickboxing looked alot like muay thai, 3rd round is supposed to be grappling but i didnt see any all i saw was pretty much more kickboxing lol but the high light of past events showed some good grappling there are a few websites about it too just do a search for shidokan... ohh well just thought i would chime in on it

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best grappling move was in the Championship match. Osoto gari throw followed up with a cross body arm lock. The bad thing it happen in the full contact round and the guy got warned for the grappling move.
Bob:asian:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just poking around and I saw this thread. I decided to go looking for some more information on the web. In the process I found out from http://www.shidokan.com/ that ESPN2 is supposed to air the 2001 World Open on July 12th at 8pm. I missed the other programs (pretty common since I normally just flip channels) but I'll try to remember to watch this one to see what it's like. Finding a list of rules wasn't too hard, but it didn't seem like a full explanation to me. Namely I didn't see any real description of how the rounds worked even though there were indications that different rounds had different rules. Some more searching turned up http://62.138.31.7/us/events/shidokan99.htm and http://www.european-federation.shidokan.pl/?se=01 which have a little more about the rounds. Basically they say the rules change from bare knuckle karate fighting to Thai kick boxing to grappling / submission fighting. Round length and number of rounds (and actually even rules used) can vary. I'm not sure if anyone was asking about the rules, but since I went and did some searching to find info, I thought I'd pass it along to everyone.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Drat! It's not on. I guess they changed the schedule since I last checked earlier in the week. That thread in the general forum about ESPN2 putting MA on at rotten times must be right. I wonder what time slot the shidokan tournament is on now. I was kind of looking forward to seeing it tonight, too. :(

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The online schedule for my cable co. has Shidokan listed but they're showing the sport of...poker.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup, it's poker here, too. How thrilling. They pre-empted martial arts for this? BTW, my cable's TV Guide channel also has the MA program listed (karate 2001).

Latest Discussions