Martial Arts Expo in Toronto

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been or is going this year to the Mixed Martial Arts Expo in Toronto? If so, any feedback would be great..

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was there last year, and have registered for the event this year. It was a blast, a real blast.

This was the first time I was introduced to many styles and people I wouldn't normally meet. There wasn't a single negative attitude or sour grape. Everyone was there to train, preferably outside of their normal dojo regime. The event organizers put in a lot of effort to make everything run smoothly. And the Metro Toronto Convention Center, although at first nervous about having a few hundred folks who could kick, punch, and grapple in the same (big) room, called it the most positive experience they'd had in many months.

My suggestion is that there will be so many slots, and so many styles to choose from, that I'd take some time and plot out which classes to take and when. There's only so much time during the day. I'd have gladly done four or five days of this to take in absolutely everything, but this was only a weekend.

I really recommend that anyone within driving distance of Toronto should come down. You'll have a fabulous time.

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Is there any particular seminar you would recommend?

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
My general suggestion is to try something you've never seen before.

Last year I tried Savate, which would be just up your alley, being a TKD stylist. I experienced Krav Maga, which taught me how to be direct. I tried Systema for the first time, which was the most pleasurable way to fight out of a mob. I tried two styles of Internal Chinese arts, Tai Chi and ShiBok T’ien LungTao, which taught me the value of utilizing my skeletal base and that of my opponent. And to satisfy my taste for the unusual, I tried Whiskey Stick Dancing, otherwise known as Irish Shillelagh fighting.

This is only a handful of the seminars I participated in, and there were several that I wish I had joined in, but I ran out of time. The event is a giant buffet of styles, so mix and match to your heart's content. I'd also do a thorough read of each instructor's write up and planned curriculum, so you can make an informed decision.

http://www.mixedmartialartsexpo.com/page2.htm

On a final note, I'd recommend attending the sessions taught by Makoto Kabayama and Shawn Zirger. Shawn is my JKD teacher and a real stand-up guy, and Makoto is just the nicest fellow and a well of knowledge. They'll be teaching JKD concepts and stick work.

And after that, stick around for the Muay Thai fight night!

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When and where is it exactly? I've been looking for something like this around the area for quite awhile now.

Does anyone have details for someone not to enter but to watch? $$$ time, date, the goods....

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mcura said:
My general suggestion is to try something you've never seen before.

Last year I tried Savate, which would be just up your alley, being a TKD stylist. I experienced Krav Maga, which taught me how to be direct. I tried Systema for the first time, which was the most pleasurable way to fight out of a mob. I tried two styles of Internal Chinese arts, Tai Chi and ShiBok T’ien LungTao, which taught me the value of utilizing my skeletal base and that of my opponent. And to satisfy my taste for the unusual, I tried Whiskey Stick Dancing, otherwise known as Irish Shillelagh fighting.

This is only a handful of the seminars I participated in, and there were several that I wish I had joined in, but I ran out of time. The event is a giant buffet of styles, so mix and match to your heart's content. I'd also do a thorough read of each instructor's write up and planned curriculum, so you can make an informed decision.

http://www.mixedmartialartsexpo.com/page2.htm

On a final note, I'd recommend attending the sessions taught by Makoto Kabayama and Shawn Zirger. Shawn is my JKD teacher and a real stand-up guy, and Makoto is just the nicest fellow and a well of knowledge. They'll be teaching JKD concepts and stick work.

And after that, stick around for the Muay Thai fight night!

Thanks again for all the info and the website..I will check it out!

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry guys about the questions before, call it a pre-mature post. I should of read the rest of the thread.

I checked out the site, its all there.

thanks guys

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Check out Kevin Blok, absolutely amazing instructor in Aikido. He will surprise you.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it. This will be my first time there and I will be presenting as well as training.

Shawn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was at the first of these, and had a great time, but was unable to go this year. I hope to make it out for the next one. The gathering is highly recommended. Last year I was able to do the Irish Stick Fighting with Sifu Glen Dolye, and that was such a pleasure I made a few trips out to Milton to continue training with him. Shawn Zirger, and Makoto Kabayama were great as well. As was the Lapunta Arnis class.

Did you try out the Savate class? Scott Redstone, who taught the class, is my Savate/JKD instructor.

Let me know what you thought.

Shawn

Latest Discussions