Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many folks subscribe to them?

Would you pay for a subscription, and if so, how much?

What content do you look for in one?

What content do you least look for?

Do you have a prefered format? (Text, HTML, PDF)?

Is there a format you least like? (Text, HTML, PDF)?

Would you pay to advertize in one? If so, how much?

If you subscribe to any, which ones? What are your thoughts about them?

Thank you
:asian:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been checking out a number of the free ones. Most seem to be 2-3 pages, text, with 1-2 articles.

I haven't noticed anything 'big' with the exception of the 'Martialist'.

anyone?

I

islandtime

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I've been checking out a number of the free ones. Most seem to be 2-3 pages, text, with 1-2 articles.

I haven't noticed anything 'big' with the exception of the 'Martialist'.

anyone?

Try EJMAS.......oh yes,,, grab some visine...there is a lot to read.

maybe not in the areas you are interested, but lots and lots of information for various disciplines.

Gene Gabel:asian:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't been keeping a list of em. To be honest, I havent been impressed enough to go back.

I hit google, did some searching, also have been checking out what other sites have got.

So far, the best is the martialist, and ED (which is more of a moderated discussion list, rather than ezine).

kenponet's got a decent text one, and martial arts planets got a kinda online magazine.

Other than those, eh.

Still diggin....

R

RyuShiKan

How many folks subscribe to them?

Depends on what was in it.

Would you pay for a subscription, and if so, how much?

Hell no.
I have yet to see a regular paper magazine that is worth the money let alone one on-line.

What content do you look for in one?

Something a little more in depth an educated than most of the drivel I read on Martial Arts BBs.

What content do you least look for?

Anything that resembled Black Belt Magazine or any of the other trade rages out there they pander to the uninitiated martial artist.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
i agree a lot of the martial arts magazines nowadays suck....

i have in my collection a lot of older magazines 70's and 80's and surprisingly they are much better than the magazines of today..
probably because a lot less people started their own BS styles back then and a lot of info came from the SOURCE the GM's of the arts............:asian:

Something a little more in depth an educated than most of the drivel I read on Martial Arts BBs.

as for educated well i dont know.... text book style writing does not impress me when it comes to the martial arts

REMEMBER IT IS ABOUT FIGHTING AND NOT WHO CAN WRITE THE BEST ARTICLE BASED ON STRUCTURE AND ALL THAT GARBAGE....

The martial arts is NOT AN ACADEMIC subject.......

so as long as the article is informative and true it is good...

thanks

terry

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by moromoro
as for educated well i dont know.... text book style writing does not impress me when it comes to the martial arts

I am not saying they have to be “text book”………but I don’t want articles like “Who’s better: Bruce Lee orXXXXXX?”

REMEMBER IT IS ABOUT FIGHTING AND NOT WHO CAN WRITE THE BEST ARTICLE BASED ON STRUCTURE AND ALL THAT GARBAGE....

Then why write about it?
If you are going to do something you should try to do it well………no matter what……….which is actually one of the lessons taught in the MA.
(Also, when you write in all Caps like that it means you are yelling)

The martial arts is NOT AN ACADEMIC subject.......

Really? Why not?
It deals with the human body just as athletics do…………..

As for an online E-zine……..who would edit the articles for authenticity or accuracy?

Hopefully not Hubbard or a couple of the MT Mods (notice I said a couple and not all)…I say this because I have noticed a few of the above mentioned to be rather clueless about various basic aspects of the martial arts.........Specifically Kaith Rustaz, Tshadowchaser & Cthulhu.

Jay Bell & Arnisador actually know their stuff

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Really? Why not?

well its not really academic, meaning you dont need book smarts to be a good martial artisit, you need other kinds of smarts...

Hopefully not Hubbard or a couple of the MT Mods (notice I said a couple and not all)…I say this because I have noticed a few of the above mentioned to be rather clueless about various basic aspects of the martial arts.........Specifically Kaith Rustaz, Tshadowchaser & Cthulhu.

yes i agree with you there...........

rastaz and cthultu are beginners in the arts. they need guidance they are not experienced YET..Also iam not sure if Cthulhu even learns his art with his GM...????

Take it easy on these FOLK they are beginners....

Also, when you write in all Caps like that it means you are yelling)

sorry.......... But Could it also mean areas of special ATTENTION on a post???????????/

R

RyuShiKan

If you would like to emphasize a point or word you can use html code like this [ b]bold [/b ] which makes bold or [ I] italics [/ I] italics and so on…..

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could take a couple of those comments as an insult, but, it is the truth. I've got 20+ years of computer experience, 3 in martial arts. So, yeah, I'm a bit clueless. The thing here Robert is, I admit it. I've -never- claimed to be an expert in the arts or know the history, etc. I rely on folks like you for that information. I do however think that mastery of full comprehension of the martial arts is a requirement for a successful project, be it a bbs or a magazine or running a school. Its all in who you get to help.

Like Henry Ford said when asked how much 2+2 was at his trial "I dont know, but I can find someone who does know.) :) Now, ask me again in 20 years... :)

Terry - My training takes 3rd place in my life. My business and family/friends come before it. I spend an average of 3 hrs a week training, mostly in arnis. I'd prefer more, but ...

All that said...
You've made some good points on the mainstreme mags. I keep hoping I'll find something comparable, but better. Have yet to do so. Inside Kung Fu is about 40% ads. Some of the articles are themselves ads. My belief is that while B.Lee may have been a key figure, he isnt -the- key figure in the arts. There are literally hundreds of -key- figures in the arts. Some are controvercial, others quiet and unassuming.

Most of the e-zines I find to be writen by 1 person, maybe 2, all text, 3-4 pages when printed. Then again, maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Depends on what was in it.

. . .

. . .

RSK,

Could you give an example? An Article in Print from history that you thought was educational?

As to the amount of training and or know Martial Arts, could you give me a link to your webpage or your history? Just curious of your background as well. And Not from the Mid-West, as I am also. :) My Training Schedule looks like this:

Sunday - Class from 7-10 PM
Monday - No Class - Sometimes a I give a Private
Tuesday - Private 5:30 to 6:30 with Manong (GM) Ted Buot
Wednesday - Class from 8-10 PM
Thursday - Every other Thursday, I give a private to a student usually about 2 hours
Friday - No Class sometimes a private
Saturday - No Class Sometimes a private

At work - which is an office job, I have a 28" x 3/4" Aluminum conduit to twirl and to practice while I think about other work issues. At home I have my knives and sticks through the house and constantly am playing with them.

So, let me say on an average week I will do a minimum of 8 hours of training. 3 Sunday + 1 Tuesday + 2 Wednesday + (2/2) Average for a week = 8 . Some would consider this a lot, others not enough. I speak about what I know, mostly the two arts I have trained in. So does this make me an uneducated idiot in the Martial Arts? because I cannot regurgitate the lineage of some Japanese or Korean system?

Curious to hear your replies

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Could you give an example? An Article in Print from history that you thought was educational?

I know of plenty……..is the E-zine ready to go or something?
Let me know when it is and I will show you some pretty good articles.

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Some would consider this a lot, others not enough. I speak about what I know, mostly the two arts I have trained in. So does this make me an uneducated idiot in the Martial Arts? because I cannot regurgitate the lineage of some Japanese or Korean system?

Who said anything about lineage?
Every time someone says something about legit MA training why is it some people automatically assume it’s about lineage?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The questions here are of a research nature. I've hunted for additional info, and found it lacking, but others may have better resources than I do.

It doesn't mean theres an e-zine in the works, and it doesn't mean there is one.

Why? If we were doing one would you want to write a column or article?

:confused:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know of plenty……..is the E-zine ready to go or something?
Let me know when it is and I will show you some pretty good articles.

Cool, could you PM me with a link, or the name and volume of a Mag, and then I can go read what you consider a good article, and maybe learn something. I am jsut interesested in waht others consider good articles I do not like most of the existing mags today. Yes they have hit ot mis articles that are good, yet ???

Who said anything about lineage?
Every time someone says something about legit MA training why is it some people automatically assume it’s about lineage?

Ok, what makes a Legit Martial Artist and or Martial Art training?

You and others have made it quite clear that you need to train with someone who is legit. What makes a person Legit? Am I legit? Since there is no central organization in the FMA's or in Modern Arnis? for the posting and registration of Balck Belts?

Just trying to learn, and maybe explore new areas for knowledge

S

spook mma

I've been looking for some decent articles that would show some training and conditioning routines/exercises for martial artists. Information about how to balance strength training, MA training, and cardio training are things that I would find of interest.

And yes, I am aware that some of that info can be found on various threads and other sites, but I yet to find a site/article/thread that details a conditioning and strength training routine dedicated to the martial artist.

As far as payment goes, I would not be opposed to a small "donation" if the articles proved to be informative. Unfortunately, many of the articles that I do find tend to be interviews that are quite shallow in terms of content, history lessons, or descriptions of art-specific techniques.

FYI, I find that the Martialist is pretty informative. Perhaps a "links" page listing various sites that others have found to be of interest would prove to be more practical. Not to mention less work for those involved in creating such a project.

Latest Discussions