Martial Arts and physical fitness

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
StraightRazor said:
Do you guys think that martial arts are really an effective method of physical fitness? Some schools advertise that they provide physical fitness. Is there a solid reason to look at martial arts as exercise? Should you even approach the arts with anything except effective self defense as the primary motivation?

As has been mentioned previously, this is a great topic. Working-out is a very individualized thing. It depends on what your goals are. To be a better martial artist, one should be in 'good' shape. You don't have to train like Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell or any of the MMA guys unless you want to compete in those type of events or on that level.

Most of the time, I like doing following the lessons of 'Strongfortism' (named for Lionel Strongfort) which are calisthenics with added resistance (i.e. light dumbbells). I really can't explain it, but I gain more than 10 lbs. of lean muscle mass doing these exercises.

I also like to mix it up a little by doing "boot camp calisthenics" (i.e. Scrapper, www.trainforstrength.com), and working out with dumbbells.

At my gym/dojo, we generally don't do too much conditioning work, and when we do, we do so AFTER we train martial arts skills. My instructor said that if you always try to develop skills while your fatigued, you'll develop sloppy technique. I always thought that was weird until I read similar statements from respected fitness gurus like Coach Charles Staley (www.myodynamics.com).

My instructor encourages us to work out on our own time because when we hit the mat, we jump right into skill work.

You can't stay in tip-top/peak shape year round. Once you peak, all that you can do is go downhill - unless you change your workouts. I learned this the hard way when I was working out at a boxing about a year ago.

Again, for me, I'll do Strongfortism and eat sensibly to keep in 'decent' shape. If I was going to compete or something like that, I would change up my routine a probably pump some iron and do some plyometrics. Once the competition is over, back to Strongfortism.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since I am considering quitting TKD, haven't been to class in two weeks which is a long time for me. So if I do go back, the only reason left would be physical health because it has done that for me in the eight years I have been in it. No, I don't just go to class, I workout on my Total Gym, the treadmill, walks, pushups, forms, etc etc. But classes KEEP me going on all fronts - an objective. Physical fitnesss is #1 for me. TW

OP
C

Chrono

In my Tang Soo Do class they don't really work you. Of course, that's because I'm still in the begginer class. It's in the advanced class where they really make you sweat. Especially sparring.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
But Martial Arts in my opinion is the best method of physical fitness, it unites the mind and body in one which no other type of activity does. Boxing doesnt do it, soccer doesnt do it or basketball. Martial Arts contains teachings which no other sport has. So to answer your question martial arts is extremly effective for physical fitness. Not only does it strengthen the body but the spiritual and mental element as well.
TAREK

Umm...MA is a superior method for gaining physical fitness to boxing?

Spiritual/Mental/Physical unification aside (and it should be, as the OP specifically mentioned physical fitness), boxers on the whole are in far better cardiovascular condition than your general martial artist - and i dont mean pro boxers vs regular MArtists - i mean regular folk on both sides of the equation. I've trained in both the boxing gym (my dad was a trainer) and the TMA dojo (Ueichi-Ryu), and i *know* the difference. You get plenty more general fitness in the boxing gym. MA is a good workout, and a hell of a lot better than sitting on the couch, but you cant play seriously in a boxing gym with out getting relatively sorted in the cardio arena.

When i was training boxing exclusively, i didnt really go to regular gym, but when i train in a dojo, if i dont hit the weights/treadmill/rower a couple times a week, i get antsy. It just doesnt give me enough on that side of things.

OP
C

Chrono

Baoquan said:
You get plenty more general fitness in the boxing gym.
That makes sense since all they do is work out and fight. They either hit the bags, get the jump rope, or go into the ring.

OP
S

SMP

I think it depends on the instructors emphasis. Our classes start with over 700 jumping jacks - with good technique. sometimes we do 1000 depending on what the instructor wants. Then we go into stretching. we also do ab work fingertip and knucle push-ups everyday. We may be going very light one day or doing very high intensity.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
#1: It depends on what you imply by "physical fitness".
For general health and well being ANYTHING that makes you keep your body moving (no matter how fast or intense) over a period of time is VERY good for you.
#2: For visceral athletic prowess... then it depends on the school and the style.
For instance, there are some styles that just aren't made for physical prowess, such as Tai Chi. Thought it's a very healthy art to practice, no doubt, you aren't going to become a Jock by means of a Tai Chi Chuan class. Healthy? sure. Athlete? No.
Tae Kwan Do is much more physical, but again...different instructors will bring about different results. When I studied Tae Kwan Do my instructor was very much into the physical fitness aspects and wouldn't let us quit until HE was satisfied. We were in generally good athletic condition. Some instructors aren't as intense though and would probably induce less of a stenuous workout.

There's NEVER only ONE reason for doing something, not really. At least there's never really only one "appropriate" reason for doing it.
IF someone wants to join the local dojo for fitness...
GREAT! They'll get more than just that.
If for sport, GREAT!
They'll get more than just that.
If for a social life, GREAT....
etc.

Your Brother (I'm in it for the cool patches)
John

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brother John...

All excellent points. Its definately better exercise than a lot of people are getting regularly, and if that's what gets them into the dojo....sweet!!

Cheers

Baoquan

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
There's a study on pubmed that found that there are few aerobic benefits to practicing TKD, but anaerobic capacity was increased by 30% in the studied practitioers.
That's interesting but obviously crazy. I wonder how the study was designed. Always remember garbage in/garbage out. TKD and other martial aarts can provide excellent aerobic training if the class is designed properly. Obviously not all classes will be designed with aerobic workout in mind. My Kenpo classes are rarely good aerobic workouts but they are useful and frequently I'm so tired I can hardly move after class. That's what I get for getting old.

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts can be an excellent way to develop and maintain fitness. One of the problems my patients have is that when they try to get fit they go to the gym or buy some piece of equipment and then quickly become bored. People continue to exercise when it is disguised as play and most adults have forgotten how to play. Martial arts can provide aerobic conditioning and anaerobic conditioning. They do an excellent job of helping improve stablizer muscles and proprioception and thus decreas our risk of falls. In the right school they also provide a supportive enviroment with friendly competition and goals to push one to work harder than they might on ones own. Sure you'll get stronger quicker if you just lift weights or get aerobically fit quicker if you ride your bike, but Martial arts can provide the impetus to do so on the side.

Jeff

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
People continue to exercise when it is disguised as play and most adults have forgotten how to play.
Jeff
I have noticed that the 'cardio boot camp' craze fits into what you have described here.

I would LOVE to take/teach a fitness class that was nothing but all those great Kiddy Garden games we use to play...

Parachute
Dodge ball
Jump over the rope
Relay races with the scooters
Grab walk soccer
Tug o war
King of the MTN
Dizzy Izzy Relay races...

Imagine how many calories would be lost by laughing at yourself and others as you stumble and fall as a group alone!

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jeet Kune Do, to be fully effective, requires good or great physical fitness. I don't just work out on heavy bags, focus mitts, and with Kali sticks, and train using Carrenza (although these are great workouts if done full bore) I also aerobic kickbox several times a week at a nearby MMA school, lift weights, do isometrics and run.

Latest Discussions