Martial Art Attire

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey all! I know I've been writing alot of threads lately, but just now my brain came out with some good ones (at least I think they are).

Do any of you wear martial art shirts or would you rather keep the fact that you are a martial artist a secret to outsiders? I've got two shirts, but only wear them here and there. Well, I wear my ninjutsu hoodie alot, but that's because it's cold and I don't have many hoodies. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Becky

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been told by some that wearing a martial arts shirt has caused them trouble outside of the school. I have worn mine but no one has ever mentioned it or commented on it except in a positive way to me. I especially received really nice comments from the Tshirt that Sarah was kind enough to send me earlier this year. It is from her school in New Zealand. Everyon thought it was pretty cool when I told them about it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are we talking like at-shirt that says the school name if so yea I wear them all the time and get nothing accept positive feedback from people, now if you are talking the dobok or GI no I only wear them inside the school or tournaments,
Terry

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a school t-shirt and a "kung fu" hoodie. I don't wear them frequently but no one ever comments when I do. My son wears his MA t-shirts alot more than I do and all his friends think it's cool.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty much the same reply from me as well. Erica still has a couple of t-shirts from our first school that she wears when it's cool outside as well. Generally, unless the t-shirt has something on it that is challenging to others (I.E. I know martial arts and can kick your butt) most folks aren't even gonna notice what is on it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to downplay it, but my WMAA logo polo shirt isn't easily recognizable as a martial arts shirt.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've worn martial arts shirts pretty much everywhere, don't see any reason it should be different then any other sort of sports shirt personally.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on who and where you are.

If you are an adult, then odds are, that most people aren't going to care one way or the other.

If you are a child, and if you're in a school where there are always those individuals trying to mark their territories, then yes, having that kind of attire on can sometimes give them a reason to try something funny.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many guys here like to wear (tap out) t-shirts. At least you know they are training in BBJ. It does implied "I train in grabbling". Just saw three big guys and a small boy, wearing "tap-out" t-shirts shopping at Wal-mart.

Why do people wear these martial t-shirts? Many reasons? One: to announce to others you train in the martial arts? Two: just finish training and on you way home? Or just to show people what you do? ......Be prepare for others to challenge you verbal or ? .........Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I neve used to tell people I was in the martial arts but I find that wearing a school shirt helps promote the school and may bring new students in. It also has bought a few people to Martialtalk

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I neve used to tell people I was in the martial arts but I find that wearing a school shirt helps promote the school and may bring new students in. It also has bought a few people to Martialtalk

That's a great point! You're helping to advertise the school, which can only be a good thing.

Further, I've found that T shirts can be a great conversation piece at for example, dress-down days at work [for those not too... oooooooh, *scared* to ask - hehe!]

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a school shirt, spongebob Ka-ra-tay! shirt and several asian styled shirts.

I'm proud to be involved in the arts and have no problem expressing that seriously or humorously :)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a number of t-shirts from various places that I have no problem wearing in public. The only time I wear a school shirt is coming or going to the school, which sometimes involves wearing the pants too (black t-shirt and black gi pants tends to make one stick out in a crowd). I will wear one of our fundraiser t-shirts as an everyday shirt though. Being a big kid with gray hair, nobody bothers me but I can see where someone younger could run into a jerk who wants to prove how tough he is by taking on a martial arts guy.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of Aikido T-shirts that has a silhouette (sp?) of one guy throwing/flipping another on the front and back. I usually only change into them after class when we go to coffee, and then running errands (if we have to) after that. Sometimes I'd wear them to work or to lounge in at a friend's house since they are so comfortable. I've never had anything negative and only the very rare occasion when someone would say something.

Actually, one time I wore one of my shirts to work (frozen yogurt store) and a customer saw it and said he does Aikido at the other school in the city. We had an enjoyable talk. :) That was neat. Never would have known that we were both doing the same art otherwise.

Robyn :asian:

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no better advertisement than a walking billboard. I wear school and tourney T-shirts all the time. So does my wife, son and students. I see the argument about it causing issues on the street, but I have never actually seen it happen. It's also a pride issue, I'm very proud of who I am and where I belong - and I want to share my pride with anyone who takes the time to read my shirt.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have met fellow local martial artists because they wore their school shirt...that's been good!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hey all! I know I've been writing alot of threads lately, but just now my brain came out with some good ones (at least I think they are).

Do any of you wear martial art shirts or would you rather keep the fact that you are a martial artist a secret to outsiders? I've got two shirts, but only wear them here and there. Well, I wear my ninjutsu hoodie alot, but that's because it's cold and I don't have many hoodies. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Becky

I have worn tshirts and sweatshirts that are MA related, but usually I prefer to not advertise. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of anything, not loyal to the school, etc., but a personal choice.

Mike

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We (my kids and I) wear our club shirts and some of the ones friends have sent us from around the world without any problems. My husband, on the other hand, has had guys be a little stupid when they have seen his shirt.

I guess it depends what you look like...I'm a middle aged housewife - no threat. My husband is a strapping man who looks like a fighter - some guys see that as a challenge. I imagine if you were a skinny kid or a pudgy guy you may not get the same reactions. I think it also depends on what your shirt is advertising. When we had a karate club t-shirt, no comments - when we started wearing BJJ or MMA type shirts, far more attention was paid.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
We (my kids and I) wear our club shirts and some of the ones friends have sent us from around the world without any problems. My husband, on the other hand, has had guys be a little stupid when they have seen his shirt.

I guess it depends what you look like...I'm a middle aged housewife - no threat. My husband is a strapping man who looks like a fighter - some guys see that as a challenge. I imagine if you were a skinny kid or a pudgy guy you may not get the same reactions. I think it also depends on what your shirt is advertising. When we had a karate club t-shirt, no comments - when we started wearing BJJ or MMA type shirts, far more attention was paid.

I'm a heavy set 5th Degree..........If anyone gives me a problem, I'll sit on'em!

Latest Discussions