Man, that guy was tough!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this has to do with Taijutsu, just let me get to it.

Monday night I went to my Brazilian jiu jitsu class. We did some sparring/randori and I was paired with a guy in the class much bigger than me (around 6', 200-220).He is kinda new to grappling, so he used his tremendous strength with the skills he did know (plus he is 2nd Dan in Karate) to hold me down. I got his back a total of 3 times, until he finally tapped from exhaustion. I owe my ability to retain energy from Taijutsu. At one point, I used a laying down version of TYR Muna Dori.

My question is, has anyone spend time practicing standing techniques from their back?

A

AnimEdge

Standing techniques on our backs? thats kinda interesting, infact i think i do it without knowing, i never thought of it like that :p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have.

With your back to the floor, I find, is much like having your back to the wall only with better balance.

:)

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting point. Since I am in the "Earth Element" training in To-Shin Do, I am told to pretend my back is against the wall to get used to "holding my ground" type defence. I guess it might help if I practice with my back against the floor sometime. Good stuff. Thanx.

L

Limeydog

Would also work well with the "Fire" element of moving forward, aggressive, piercing action if you back was to the wall. There are also set techniques for against the wall attacks in American Kenpo...Taming the Mace for one.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With your back to the floor, I find, is much like having your back to the wall only with better balance.
true, true. You can move up, down, sideways (well,....you have the "option" of moving those directions)

I did it kinda on accident. I wasnt sure how much "Laying down"Bujinkan typically does. I only have about40-50 hours of Booj mat time, and no rank. I know TSD does quite a bit of ground adaption.

thanks people,
KE

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive only done it a couple times in class... we dont practice it on a regualr basis.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We had a demonstration at a local sports hall earlier this year, and one of the attendants, whom happened to practice Krav Maga, asked my instructor "what do you do if you're lying on your back with someone sitting on your chest holding a knife to your throat?" Whereupon the same guy was asked to do exactly what he'd suggested to my instructor, who then demonstrated how to deal with that scenario.
Those who believe that Bujinkan concepts aren't applicable on the ground as well haven't been training with the right people.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with that. My Shidoshi covered alot of ground fighting when I was in the Kan. We still practice quite a bit of it now.

J

jibran

I haven't watched Mr. Hayes' Takagi Yoshin Ryu video yet but I know that it demonstrates the traditional kata being used in groundfighting; is this not evidence that Budo Taijutsu concepts are applicable in many ways?

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some of the TSD TYR videos. I am cetain they can be used in a conflict because I am the one who used them. I dont need proof:)
I was just curious how many people "practiced" them. especially in the Booj.

Latest Discussions