Man kill Leopard with his hands!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Got this from Yahoo News. A 73 year old Grandfather kill's a leopard with his hands while tending his potato and bean crops in Nairobi, Kenya. The leopard charge him and had bite his wrist. Took his other hand thrust it down the thoat of the leopard and pull out it's tongue. As the leopard was dying a neighbor heard his screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete. (wed Jun 22,2005.)

Who would of thought of the ripping out the tongue? Amazing......Aloha

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Got this from Yahoo News. A 73 year old Grandfather kill's a leopard with his hands while tending his potato and bean crops in Nairobi, Kenya. The leopard charge him and had bite his wrist. Took his other hand thrust it down the thoat of the leopard and pull out it's tongue. As the leopard was dying a neighbor heard his screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete. (wed Jun 22,2005.)

Who would of thought of the ripping out the tongue? Amazing......Aloha
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050622/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_kenya_leopard&printer=1

"This guy is very lucky to be alive," Kenya Wildlife Service official Connie Maina told Reuters, confirming details of the incident.

Luck nothing, that man had stones of solid brass.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me about this the other day. At 73 yrs old the guy had to been very fit throughout his life and had a warrior's heart to face this large and ferocious predator. I bow to him :asian: for his courage and his ability to remain calm enough to think the battle through and come out victorious.
I hope that I myself can achieve such staunch and stalwart characteristics when I reach 73 yrs of age.

My friend and I were discussing this and how most people would've panicked and rolled into a ball and probably died screaming. He told me of a grizzly bear attack he read about in Alaska where a couple was videotaping bears near a salmon spawning stream. They got too close and both were attacked by the bear. The vid camera fell but remained running and all that could be heard were the screams. According to the story the bear killed the man and severely mauled the woman and dragged off the man to feed. The woman's screams could be heard on the tape and apparently (annoyed?) the bear so much that it returned and killed her as well.

Other threads talked about man vs beasts here on MT. This story of the old man compared to the couple; both facing a large and powerful predator reacted differently with vastly different outcomes. Circumstances notwithstanding and irrelevant.

Staying calm and utilizing the most powerful weapon in our (human) arsenal, the MIND makes the biggest difference in the world in coming out ahead in any conflict.

G

goshawk

This is the second such story I've heard; old guys surviving by sheer toughness. The other was a couple years back. A sixty-something man out for a hike here on Vancouver Island was jumped by a big cougar (mountain lion) and taken to the ground. He managed to get on top and get the thing in a sort of headlock, but every time he moved one arm to go for his swiss army knife the cougar started tearing at the other arm. Eventually he had to just let it chew his arm while he got the knife, then he cut its throat with it. Tough man. ::shakes head:: That's pure tenacity, right there; the will to live and the guts to do what it takes. I've nothing but respect for people like that.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, i'd like to think i'd get mine in a perfect armbar, make it submit to me and admit i'm the best or get it in a headlock and choke it to death, textbook style, but in reality if a lion or something attacked i think i'd just fill my pants on the spot then start crying.
Those blokes are rock!

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty amazing what extreme feats humans can do. I doubt there is no animal of same size that can beat a leopard, the fact that a human, an animal with no teeth, claws, or horns did it is just amazing.

There have been other cases too, but this one is the best documented. Maybe Cobra was not full of crap, maybe?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta love those opposable thumbs!! I've just told my kids that I don't wanna hear any more old man jokes around here or I'll rip their tongues out and swear they had attacked me for a snack because there were no more cookies in the house. %-} Really, though, given the adrenaline rush that the older fellas must have had at the time I'm sure they were moving a little better than they would normally be moving and have that strength that you usually only hear about when a 98 pound woman lifts an SUV off of her kids. Even with that aid, though, I really believe it's an etherial "something" that enabled them to do what they did. MAcaver called it warrior spirit. I think he's on to something.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its what they call "mindset" these days. Instead of thinking "Im gonna die!" you either have to think "Not today you bastard!" or "Im gonna F'n kill you!"...The key is as simple as never quitting. The only way Im giving up is when Im dead. Cultivate that mindset in MA class or in the gym. If you are going out for that 4mi run, you finish it even if your mind is telling you to stop and walk. Of course you have to set goals that push you but are still achieveable for your level of training.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorta curious how this fits in with the theory that under stress the 'adrenal dump' will make it impossible for a person to react with fine motor control unless they've trained for such stressful situations.

How many people train in reality scenarios of a large carnivore biting their arm?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, when they say "impossible" I think its more like "unlikely".

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
This nothing.

Tarzan kill Numa the Lion, and Sabor the lioness when boy. Save Jane many times from Numa.

Sheeta the leopard kill Tarzan's mother, Kala. Tarzan revenge Kala by killing Sheeta. Tarzan not rip out tongue like old man. Tarzan eat Sheeta's heart raw. This is way of the great apes. And Tarzan over 100 years old!

Waugh!

All in day's work. This no biig deal.

Article dumb.

Regards,

Steve

J

jkdhit

haha thats a great story

i remember once i was walking towards the park just to relax and this guy was walking his doberman pinscher. the dog jumped up and bit at my jacket and attempted to maul it so i punched it in the face and it cried and moved away

the owner was upset and complained about how i attacked his dog