Man Gets Flight With Invalid Pass

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43590961/ns/travel-news/

LOS ANGELES — A Nigerian American clutching another traveler's expired boarding pass made it through a New York airport federal security checkpoint and boarded a Virgin America jetliner to Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said Thursday.

The incident has raised questions about the effectiveness of airport and airline screening procedures.
Days later, Olajide Oluwaseun Noibi tried to board a Delta flight from Los Angeles to Atlanta with another expired pass and was arrested and charged with being a stowaway aboard an aircraft, the FBI said.
He could face up to five years in prison if convicted, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said. Noibi is expected to appear in a Los Angeles federal courtroom on Friday.
Investigators say Noibi, 24, boarded Virgin America Flight 415 at John F. Kennedy International Airport last Friday night. The flight crew didn't realize an extra passenger was onboard until mid-flight when he was spotted sitting in a seat that was supposed to be empty.

How does this stuff happen? So lemme get this straight....young kids get felt up, an elderly woman gets detained over a diaper, you gotta have all your liquids in just the right size container and bag.........but this guy gets on board? Hmm..whats wrong with this picture again????

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43590961/ns/travel-news/

How does this stuff happen? So lemme get this straight....young kids get felt up, an elderly woman gets detained over a diaper, you gotta have all your liquids in just the right size container and bag.........but this guy gets on board? Hmm..whats wrong with this picture again????

The TSA needs to be abolished...we need a better line of defense that doesn't enfringe on American Rights.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TSA prescreener failed.
The TSA screener failed.
The airling gate check in person failed.

Hmm....3 points of failure there.

Wouldn't have gotten past #1 if that screener did more than match names on papers.

But the TSA isn't about security. They keep proving it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A Nigerian American... does that distinction HAVE to be in the article? Not just plain American? (sigh)

Texas should've stood up to TSA ... the rest of the country more-n-likely would've followed.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A Nigerian American... does that distinction HAVE to be in the article? Not just plain American? (sigh)

Texas should've stood up to TSA ... the rest of the country more-n-likely would've followed.

naturally, any good scam originates in Nigeria....

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Apparently..if Texas didn't fold on the TSA issue..that would mean all flights would be canceled in or out of TX...the federal govenment requires the TSA to be at EVERY SINGLE AIRPORT

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently..if Texas didn't fold on the TSA issue..that would mean all flights would be canceled in or out of TX...the federal govenment requires the TSA to be at EVERY SINGLE AIRPORT

And I would like to know how long they would have been able to enforce that.
Seriously, yoy think you can 'ground' the 2nd largest state in the union? For long?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TSA isn't at every airport. Several don't use TSA screeners, but accountable 3rd parties. San-Fran for example.

As to blocking air travel into TX, wouldn't have happened.
Shame the TX government was all talk though.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TSA people, LEOs, Military, or a 70yo retired person....I dont care who does the screening, but IMO, someone a) needs to be doing it and b) needs to be doing it correctly! How do they screen your carry on, discover that you have your liquids in the right size containers, but instead of 2 bags, 1 large one, make you go back thru security to get the correct bags, go back thru and get screened again, and then, once the liquids are properly placed, allow you to board (yes, this happened to my wife and I when we went to Vegas) but allow this jackass, with an expired boarding pass, to get on.

As I've said before....Thank God I dont fly that often.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And I would like to know how long they would have been able to enforce that.
Seriously, yoy think you can 'ground' the 2nd largest state in the union? For long?

Ad that Tx is a major hub for most of the airlines. And the airline lobby would've been screaming murder in less than 24 hours.

Hmm I wonder how bright the capitol switchboard would get.. Sunglasses required :)

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TSA= Thousands Standing Around. I'm always amazed at how many of them there are, and they seem to make the whole process more difficult.

Reactions: MJS

Latest Discussions