MAN do I love a painful lesson!

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu was showing us a few good places to pinch and cause pain today, just touching on it for fun but not getting too super involved. He showed a great place on either side of the lower-middle back to grab and cause a big ouchy. So me being the inquisitive one I say "What happens when you are locked on and they fall to their knees". Since of course, we were going easy on eachother and just making it smart we were all able to stay on our feet.

He says "OK, let's see". So he goes for the pinch, and I let myself turn into dead weight. He clearly lost balance, I assume since I did it so abruptly. I really wasn't trying to be a smart aleck and cause that to happen, it just did. Well, he came down with me.. Right on top of me. And said "Now that I am here, I can do this" (face poke on a nerve under my cheek) "and perhaps this" (another poked facial nerve). And of course, I was in significant pain.

Great lesson, Sifu! Of course my face hurts now, but trust me, I will not forget where to poke. I've been constantly reminded of the spot for the last 5 hours! :uhyeah:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems that the best way to learn is to be the dummy! Everytime a new guy joins our class, my students wait for the inevitable "What if?" or "That'll never work because..." and a lesson is given for all. It's how I learned, and boy did I learn!

Enjoy your pain. DeSade may have been right.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Ben Franklin said:
"That which hurts, instructs!"

I've been 'instructed' in my day, and like you it often resulted in me saying "Oh yeah?? Well what if THIS happens....."
..and then I'm 'instructed'....
Hey, maybe it made me a better instructor!! Nobody learns like the "Slap-Monkey" learns!!!

...oh well.......
Chicks dig scars!

Your Brother (pass the tiger balm)
John

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have all had an instructor who likes to say "Let me show you something". I've been training with the same instructor for over 21 years, and I still wince when I hear him say that.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recall my first Kenpo instructor saying that he gained a deeper understanding of footwork because while his instructor was beating on him and he was doubled over....he was much closer to his instructors legs/feet and that's all he could see.......so he gained insights on that.
Interesting.

He did FOCUS on footwork a LOT!
The best lessons are often the ones that you paid dearly for.

Your Brother
John

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always loved a painful session...guess it's the masochist in me.:) I've found that I definetly learn better by having the technique done to me than by watching it done. You can feel the energy flow and how the pain is supposed to guide your uke. I've also found that by having someone that you're trying to teach a technique to do the technique to you you are much better able to tell how well they've gotten the idea of the technique.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sparring and letting your ribs get hit! Doesn't hurt right away....when you go home...the pain and hurt in the rib area won't let you sleep well.

The doctor says nothing they can do...it will heal itself in two weeks.

Happen twice getting hit hard in ribs...hate that...hurts for awhile, try going to work the next day, painful.....

The ribs are a good place to hit someone...than they suffer for a week or more from the pain.......Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
My Sifu was showing us a few good places to pinch and cause pain today, just touching on it for fun but not getting too super involved. He showed a great place on either side of the lower-middle back to grab and cause a big ouchy. So me being the inquisitive one I say "What happens when you are locked on and they fall to their knees". Since of course, we were going easy on eachother and just making it smart we were all able to stay on our feet.

He says "OK, let's see". So he goes for the pinch, and I let myself turn into dead weight. He clearly lost balance, I assume since I did it so abruptly. I really wasn't trying to be a smart aleck and cause that to happen, it just did. Well, he came down with me.. Right on top of me. And said "Now that I am here, I can do this" (face poke on a nerve under my cheek) "and perhaps this" (another poked facial nerve). And of course, I was in significant pain.

Great lesson, Sifu! Of course my face hurts now, but trust me, I will not forget where to poke. I've been constantly reminded of the spot for the last 5 hours! :uhyeah:

Sounds like a painful and productive lesson all rolled into one!:ultracool

Its always a good thing IMO, to take a look at the 'other' possibilities that may happen. Seeing and feeling is certainly believing!

Mike