Maintain flexibility in your old age

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always believed that to maintain flexibility in old age is difficult (if not impossible). After I have seen this clip, I just realize that I was wrong. I believe Pan did this when he was in his 70.

Your thought?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear you. I can definitely tell when I do not stretch for a while then come back to it. The older I get the longer it takes to get back to where I was before.
Especially this time of year I find it very hard to make time for stretching on my own. But I do know it helps greatly. Consistency is the key. Injury (lack of) and genetics play a factor as you get older.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always believed that to maintain flexibility in old age is difficult (if not impossible). After I have seen this clip, I just realize that I was wrong. I believe Pan did this when he was in his 70.

Your thought?

The older you get and more you have to do. I'm' learning that the hard way now. My flexibility has a short shelf life between stretches and I lose that flexibility faster than I did 10 years ago. I've had to come to the harsh reality that I need to make stretching a priority training piece and not just a warm up or cool down activity that I do. It has to be a focus now and just as important as my other training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The older you get and more you have to do. I'm' learning that the hard way now. My flexibility has a short shelf life between stretches and I lose that flexibility faster than I did 10 years ago. I've had to come to the harsh reality that I need to make stretching a priority training piece and not just a warm up or cool down activity that I do. It has to be a focus now and just as important as my other training.

i found after multiple in depth and focused flexibility training routeens that the best thing to do is a few simple stretches a few times a day, which not only maintains the flexibility i have but gradually increases it

it seems no trouble at all to do a few stretches whilst im waiting for the kettle to boil, in fact its amazing what you can achieve whilst waiting for the kettle to boil if you have a serous coffee addiction

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do some static stretching as a cool down from my workouts. I do some dynamic stretching everyday within my workout. You'll get better results from dynamic stretching than static.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Minoru Kanetsuka was extremely flexible. His Aikido teachings always began with a warm-up which included Makko-Ho which you can see him performing here:

Makko-Ho also brings many health benefits:

Latest Discussions