Mail searches?

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070105/ap_on_go_pr_wh/opening_the_mail_5

The law requires government agents to get warrants to open first-class letters. But when he signed the postal reform act, Bush added a statement saying that his administration would construe that provision "in a manner consistent, to the maximum extent permissible, with the need to conduct searches in exigent circumstances."

"The signing statement raises serious questions whether he is authorizing opening of mail contrary to the Constitution and to laws enacted by Congress," said Ann Beeson, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union. "What is the purpose of the signing statement if it isn't that?"

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree with Ms. Beeson.

There is no question, whatsoever, that the signing statement authorizes the United States government to open mail of its citizens, contrary to the United States Constitution.

in his statement Bush said he will "construe" an exception, "which provides for opening of an item of a class of mail otherwise sealed against inspection in a manner consistent ... with the need to conduct searches in exigent circumstances."

Seems our President is unfamiliar with the document he swears an oath to uphold and defend. In the United States Constitution, the Congress writes the laws and the President signs the laws into effect. The President does not get to 'construe' what the law means. We have a third branch of government to 'interpret' or 'construe' what the law means; The Supreme Court.

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act specifically afirms the security of domestic first class mail. That is what the Congress passed.

EDIT - This is the language from the bill. Page 165.

The Postal Service shall maintain one or more classes of mail for the transmission of letters sealed against inspection. The rate for each such class shall be uniform throughout the United States, its territories, and possessions. One such class shall provide for the most expeditious handling and transportation afforded mail matter by the Postal Service. No letter of such a class of domestic origin shall be opened except under authority of a search warrant authorized by law, or by an officer or employee of the Postal Service for the sole purpose of determining an address at which the letter can be delivered, or pursuant to the authorization of the addressee.’’.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Barry Goldwater must be rolling over in his grave. What this man has done to the Republican Party is just atrocious. Hopefully, actions like this will make the party take a long serious look at itself.

Jeff

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Seems our President is unfamiliar with the document he swears an oath to uphold and defend."

He's familiar with it. He and several other congressmen/women have been cursing the document the last few years for the handcuffs it places on them. They all should be shot as traitors, IMO.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Seems our President is unfamiliar with the document he swears an oath to uphold and defend."

He's familiar with it. He and several other congressmen/women have been cursing the document the last few years for the handcuffs it places on them. They all should be shot as traitors, IMO.

Hey! I thought ou opposed the death penalty?

Or is Bush warranting an "exception"?

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have received two opened letters in the last three years. One came from Canada and one from my aunt in Louisiana. Whatever.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't say killed. just shot.
I'll accept paintballs at close range on bare skin and an alcohol bath to 'bring the pain'. Wont kill em.

Theres a lot of things that were done the last 6 years that have eroded the constitution. The US needs some strong individuals to push through repairs. Sadly I don't see it happening.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have received two opened letters in the last three years. One came from Canada and one from my aunt in Louisiana. Whatever.
Opened as in cut open, or open as in the glue didn't hold? I've had a few that I've gotten too but it's usually the glue didnt hold look. 2 came in shredded, no reason to not believe the official excuse...they were bills. lol.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that any mail one of my sons has received in the last 4 years or so has been opened. That’s letters, magazines, etc. The local postmaster says it gets to our area that way but I doubt they have really investigated it.

I find the act to be against the law but maybe our government has different views on privacy

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say killed. just shot.
I'll accept paintballs at close range on bare skin and an alcohol bath to 'bring the pain'. Wont kill em.

Theres a lot of things that were done the last 6 years that have eroded the constitution. The US needs some strong individuals to push through repairs. Sadly I don't see it happening.

OFF TOPIC! (sorry)

The lack of strong role models in any culture is a problem to be sure.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ya think? He's only been wiping his butt with it for the last 6 years...

Well, I've only been a member here since March of '03 .... but I seem to recall having our colleagues here get a little huffy toward me when I mentioned things like this since that time period.

Of course, we had this same conversation a year ago ... here.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=480153&postcount=1

It is nice to see a few more people upset about this.

I wonder if that language I quoted up above was added to that Postal Act specifically because of the earlier situation. Hmmm?

Latest Discussions