Magazine Wants List: What would you like to see?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those of you out there with contacts with the heads of your systems and/or with those who have made a definate name for themsleves can always contribute articles. Kaith needs informtion and contributions to make this mag. really go.
----- ---- ----
Anyone got an inside tract to Ashida Kim I'd love to see an interview with him
---- ---- -----

Being a little more serious Please feel free to submit articles on yourslef , your instructor, or your system

C

crouton

I would like to see something on a different art each issue. Not technique. BB mag has "The deadly strikes of (insert art here)!" all the time. I mean like a little background about a different art, history type stuff, to learn something about other arts that I may not even be aware of.

i really like this idea too. also, keep up the "tribute" section. there are a lot of other great martial artists that i would like to see there and read more about.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We plan on having a tribute every month. Too many of the leaders and inovators have left us, and it's my hope to help keep their dreams and arts alive with the small contribution I can offer. :)

As always, we will accept submissions for this.

Our 1st tribute was Prof. Vee. I am still gathering information for Augusts tribute, and will announce it once the magazine is closer to completeness.

:)

P

progressivetactics

Not just people who have left us....some of the modern day martial artists who are still making a huge impact on todays arts.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Always open for suggestions on who to interview, and what to ask. :)

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would love to see an interview with one or two of NY's wonderfull elected officials... get them on the record within the MA community, in regards to the recent efforts to regulate the Martial arts in that state... i have tried on my own to contact a couple, but i was told that they only respond to inquiries from formal media or NY constituants.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by grimfang
I would love to see an interview with one or two of NY's wonderfull elected officials... get them on the record within the MA community, in regards to the recent efforts to regulate the Martial arts in that state... i have tried on my own to contact a couple, but i was told that they only respond to inquiries from formal media or NY constituants.
Kaith is a NY constituent.....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Kaith is a NY constituent.....

It could be both then, formal Media and Constituent :D

Kaith Could Tag Team all by himself :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With the September issue coming up now, I'm again looking for ideas on how to continue to improve the magazine.

Simply put, magazines like this depend on its readers for input. Every member of this forum has the potential so have a 'moment in the limelight'.

I don't want MT mag to be the "Bob Show". This isn't about me. Its about the arts. No BS, no flames, no one screaming 'you suck'.

There are tons of things you can do to help out.
- Submit some pics from a camp or seminar.
- Submit some pics period. (I'm running out of pics to use and despirately need more for all the arts.)
- Send in some MartialArts humor.
- Write up a short bio on your instructor and send it with a pic or 2 for the 'featured instructor' page.
- Do a product review or book/video review.

- Read the articles and write a counter-point.
- Do a short (or long) write up on some aspect of your art that you really like...or hate.

- Write something about an art you know. "An Introduction to XYZ" would be great.

There are also the more in depth articles on history, inspirational people, techniques, the masters and major concepts.

I would love to have a health column for example, touching on chinese medicine, supliments, etc.

I would love to have more PC tips for the Computer Corner.

Most folks think "I cant write". You're wrong. You can. I know it. Because if I can write, everyone can. :)

If you just can' think of anything to say, please, subscribe. Its only $12 for a full year, as well as access to the subscribers area. Every $ goes right back into maintaining MartialTalk.

Thank you for your support.
:asian:

S

Senfeng

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
...I would love to have a health column for example, touching on chinese medicine, supliments, etc...
This is an excellent idea!!! I'd also love to see specific recipes for ointments like tit dit jow (sp. Chinese bruise juice). I had to find this on my own, but I mean bruise juice! :D

Personally, I usually fan through the 5-step instructional pics for <disarming, killing, etc.>. This is only because its hard for me to pick up the little nuances that I feel can best be experienced live or through movies. Quality MPEGs would be excellent, but I'd be just as interested (if not more interested) in reading about the history/legend and philosophy of the style.

How about articles detailing some of the hundreds/thousands of Chinese family styles? It may be just me, but I find this kind of stuff very intriguing. Articles on identifying fact in folklore (concerning origins of specific martial arts or their founders)? Articles on other lesser known styles like Lima Lama? Articles devoted to why certain arts developed (i.e. Why does Capoeira look like a dance? Reason for TKD's high kicks?)

I'd also like to see different points of view various practioners of a specific art. For example, you can do a piece on the direction that a specific art is taking as well as the art's philosophy from the point of view of the16 year-old student, the 30 year-old instructor, as well as the 80 year-old Grand Master.

I look forward to seeing the mag!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas in here. Anyone up for tackling some and submiting em?

:)

kobrakid

White Belt
Reaction score
lots of info on hapkido's locks & takedowns. also, info on the effectiveness of krav maga. i have studied some hapkido, small circle jiu jitsu, american kenpo, JKD. all mixed into 1 art.

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Unless your against the idea of taking ideas from other mags, but the Australian magazine 'Blitz' has a section called "technique workshop" where they show a few pictures (and a caption explaining what's happening) of how to defend against certain attacks and they have a few different styles represented. Example, 1st pic - attack coming in, 2nd pic - opening defence move, etc... I always look forward to reading that part as it offers different insights to the techniques and theory's of different martial arts.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless your against the idea of taking ideas from other mags, but the Australian magazine 'Blitz' has a section called "technique workshop" where they show a few pictures (and a caption explaining what's happening) of how to defend against certain attacks and they have a few different styles represented. Example, 1st pic - attack coming in, 2nd pic - opening defence move, etc... I always look forward to reading that part as it offers different insights to the techniques and theory's of different martial arts.

This is an excellent idea, one that I wish were represented better in the standard MA magazines. I find, for example, that Taekwondo Times apparently has space to publish all sorts of stuff that has little or nothing to do with the technical content of TKD or related arts, but has to date published exactly one article on bunkai analysis for TKD poomsae. It would be very informative if in each issue of the MT mag, there were an article devoted to the analysis of realistic apps from a single form in one or another TMA. KMA, CMA, O/JMA, FMA—all of them have patterns, and those patterns always encode core principles and tactical applications of those principles, with good photographs or other graphic info to make it clear what the movements of the form are intended to look like when performed, and what kinds of moves, as combat techniques, those movements actually correspond to. It wouldn't have to be bunkai for an entire kata or hyung, just for one of the subequences of the form which corresponds to a kind of `minimal combat scenario'—starting with the assailant's initial aggression and ending with the defender's finishing move. There are, typically, four or five or so such scenarios in a TKD or karate form, and a detailed analysis of even one such subsequence of movements would be quite useful, I think.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone wanted to contribute such, we'd most likely run it.

as to the babes.......thats one of my other sites.....