Made your own art, style, or kata?

B

blackbeltedbeauty

:btg: Has anyone made up there own style, art or even kata? Was it hard to think for yourself as to how it should be done. I did and it was hard for me.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every practitioner has there own style. Thats what makes the martial arts different. Developing a personal Kata routine can become difficult to impossible if you are doing it for combat purposes. If it is for spiritual purposes, or exercise, than the work becomes easier. The Kata, forms, etc you see in today's arts were developed for combat, and enclosed in a kind of dance during a time when the martial arts may have been banned (most of the time).

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm to young to even think of starting my own style, after all at 40 I only have 25 years into this!!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nope, everyone does things different, and everyone is more then capable of having their own style. In fact I strongly believe this is the way it should be.

Trying to learn something by mimicking someone elses style is a porr way to go about anything. Learn the basics, learn the mechanics, learn the strategies, but your style is your own.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of our requirements for black belt is to compose our own kata. Our instructor frequently asks us to do a drill where we have to put together techs we know (the number varies proportionately to your rank) in a mini-kata. It's good practice because you have to map out not only where your next attacker comes from but also where you left the previous one!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
One of our requirements for black belt is to compose our own kata. Our instructor frequently asks us to do a drill where we have to put together techs we know (the number varies proportionately to your rank) in a mini-kata. It's good practice because you have to map out not only where your next attacker comes from but also where you left the previous one!
Sounds like choreographing a movie on a green screen...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Shogun said:
Every practitioner has there own style. Thats what makes the martial arts different. Developing a personal Kata routine can become difficult to impossible if you are doing it for combat purposes. If it is for spiritual purposes, or exercise, than the work becomes easier. The Kata, forms, etc you see in today's arts were developed for combat, and enclosed in a kind of dance during a time when the martial arts may have been banned (most of the time).
I agree. The past Asian masters who developed their particular martial arts style did it through first hand combat experience. I don't know too many people today in the martial arts who go around looking for fights with drug dealers, street gangs, motorcycle toughs, etc., and develop a style or kata based on their first hand street fight experiences. So we have the benefit of learning the first hand successful combat techniques found in the kata of various styles of martial arts, without the lumps of street fights.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Sounds like choreographing a movie on a green screen...
I wouldn't know about that, only that it makes one use their 'little grey cells'.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
I wouldn't know about that, only that it makes one use their 'little grey cells'.

As part of our testing for Black Belt a form or kata or anyo was required to be created and presented, and explained. It does make people think. :asian:

Latest Discussions