M-1's Millen still looking for a fight with White and the UFC

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-10-2009 05:15 PM:

Look no further than Jerry Millen and Dana White to see why the UFC couldn't come to terms on a deal with Fedor Emelianenko in August. Millen and White are like oil and water. The U.S. VP for M-1 may not have had much power during those negotiations but his anti-White must've been heard a bit. He joined Cagewriter just before Strikeforce last weekend and he didn't exactly extend an M-1 olive branch.

"If I get the opportunity just to punch Dana White in the face once in the cage, he could whip my ***," Millen told DC and The Sunshine Man on ESPNRadio1100. "Pay me $50,000 that I give to charity, I'd still do it. Just one shot to punch him in the mouth."

That seems like a good starting to try and unify the heavyweight division headed up by Fedor and Brock Lesnar, right? Not really. Millen says the negotiations were a failure from the start:

"Dana is two-faced. One minute he says [Fedor] is the best fighter in the world and 'I want him.' Then [another] he's the fat guy at the buffet."

Millen, wasn't in the meeting, but claims to have been on the phone to hear White's pitch to Fedor:

"In the meeting, Dana says to Fedor 'oh, you're the best fighter in the world, we'd love to have you.' And Fedor says to him 'yeah, I hear and read on the internet what you have to say about me everyday.' And then Dana's like 'I'm just a promoter. I'm just trying to sell tickets. I just want to sell tickets.' And Fedor said 'that's what makes you and I different.' [Fedor] just wants respect and to be treated fairly."

Millen wouldn't disclose the terms M-1 was looking for from the UFC but did say the reported offer of $5 million per fight was inaccurate. The chances of Fedor fighting the UFC's top heavyweights sounds pretty bleak at this point. Fedor/M-1/Strikeforce looks to have a solid future with CBS and Showtime. And there's little chance of another Affliction or EliteXC-like financial meltdown.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.