Losing the urge

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Been training since 10/03. Green belt. Currently going thru some instructor certification courses with about 10 other students. Love the classes, great info. I still practice my tech whenever I get the urge, prob about 10 times a day I will practice a tech for a couple min. There are times when there are no classes going on that I really want to go, but lately, when there is a class going on I just can't get myself to go. Couple times it's becuase I'm camping but the rest of the time I just say "it is to dang hot". It's been in the high 90's.

So, am I skipping classes becuase it's to hot? Just need a break? Not real happy with what I'm getting at the dojo? No self discipline? Thought if I write it out it might help. I want to learn more, and I want to be an instructor. I want to teach classes but I don't want to be comitted to having to teach a class at a certain time. I would like to drill more and practice what we have learned more. My spare tire has actually gotten bigger since I've been here. Balance, streangth and confidance has improved too. Was awarded "Most competitive" at the last awards assembly and I would love to do more tourny's, but the thought of sweating my balls off at sparring class in 90º heat doesn't appeal to me. I need to do this as much as I need to quit smoking but just can't seam to get my *** in gear. I feel great after a good work out, it's just getting started that's allways been my prob.

Well now that I've got that on paper, I'll mull it over for a bit...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up. When its hot in our dojang, over 85, when the air conditioning doesn't work, we go easy. If we don't, alot of us, the teens, the relative newbies and me included sometimes, start getting dizzy. And brains turn to mush. Not much fun then. This is supposed to be fun too. And you got to quit smoking! One big guy, not overweight, in our dojang has a heck of a time doing hard exercise. He doesn't come when the air isn't on. And maybe you do need a break. Its amazing what two weeks vacation away does. It sounds like you are enthused about what you are learning and like to practice. Keep the fire burning, just don't get burned out, do take a summer break! TW

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maltair said:
....So, am I skipping classes becuase it's to hot? Just need a break? Not real happy with what I'm getting at the dojo? No self discipline? ....

I remember hitting a bit of a ‘lull’ at green. I remember that I put it down to saturation of information – I was finding it difficult to remember tech names and I blended techs together un-intentionally. The motivation to attend classes dropped although it was exactly as you say, once you go you feel great afterwards.

I remember Mr K Mills (BKKU) taught a class at our studio at the time when I was feeling the lowest and he gave me a lot to think about at a more theoretical level. This completely dispelled my theory of ‘saturation’ that I thought I’d hit.

So I think it’s a combination of a few things, for me anyway – self dicipline is one thing but the big one for me was inspiration (thanks to Mr Mills)

I remember reading a few of your posts here, and also I believe you wrote a minor thesis on balance or something like that (think it was you) and the overall content shows your keen interest in the subject matter. All I can suggest it keep at it and hopefully you will be like me and get the inspiration to get you through.

Jonah

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maltair said:
Been training since 10/03. Green belt. Currently going thru some instructor certification courses with about 10 other students. Love the classes, great info. I still practice my tech whenever I get the urge, prob about 10 times a day I will practice a tech for a couple min. There are times when there are no classes going on that I really want to go, but lately, when there is a class going on I just can't get myself to go. Couple times it's becuase I'm camping but the rest of the time I just say "it is to dang hot". It's been in the high 90's.

So, am I skipping classes becuase it's to hot? Just need a break? Not real happy with what I'm getting at the dojo? No self discipline? Thought if I write it out it might help. I want to learn more, and I want to be an instructor. I want to teach classes but I don't want to be comitted to having to teach a class at a certain time. I would like to drill more and practice what we have learned more. My spare tire has actually gotten bigger since I've been here. Balance, streangth and confidance has improved too. Was awarded "Most competitive" at the last awards assembly and I would love to do more tourny's, but the thought of sweating my balls off at sparring class in 90º heat doesn't appeal to me. I need to do this as much as I need to quit smoking but just can't seam to get my *** in gear. I feel great after a good work out, it's just getting started that's allways been my prob.

Well now that I've got that on paper, I'll mull it over for a bit...

I hear you about the heat, and I think that just about everybody is in the same boat as you. However, even on those brutal days, when I still go to train, in the long run, I'm glad that I did!!

As far as being an instructor. Having a set time to teach is usually part of the package. If its something that you really want to do or something that is required of you for the advanced ranks, try to find the day that works best for you. Even 1 day is better than none. I would however, make sure that you don't fall into the trap of getting drafted to teach more than you originally planned on. That was something that happened to me. It started out as 1 day, and eventually turned into 5 days a week! Nothing wrong with teaching, but things need to be prioritized.

Mike

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maltair

I believe everyone who's been in the MAs at one time or another go through this. Feeling burned out, not wanting to go to class etc. etc., in fact this is probably why a lot of students quit in the intermediate ranks. However if you want to get better and learn more, you must clamp down this and go back to training. And if you want to be an instructor, you need to get this under control, now.

Discipline is found throughout the MAs in every style system (whatever) that I have ever come across. Not wanting to attend class, because it's hot, leads to not wanting to attend class cause it's to cold, or because a movie I want to see came out, or my dog needs a bath, etc. etc. In time it also leads into your statement of wanting to teach, but on your own terms, not having a set time or schedule. But when you set your mind that I will go to class on these dates (classes during the week) even when I don't feel like it you start training your mind as well as your body (discipline). Then you will teach when you are needed and just not when you want or feel like it.

If you train yourself now to defeat this foe (the I don't feel like it, I'll do it later feelings) then it will be much easier to defeat when you have been training several years and it comes up. And believe me this is a (for some of us) relentless foe who will stay with you for a long long time.

Mark

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So true, I usually want to train constantly, if im not im thinking of new ideas, but I went through a burnout period, after training for 6 years non stop in karate and kungfu, I jsut quit, then stayed out for 2 years. meh that was dumb of me, i lost all my skill i gained in that last 6 years, but there were personal reasons behind it. so basically yes everyone goes through it, mabye you jsut want to take a break, but dont stay out long ;)

Laborn

K

kenpochad

it happens , try to push threw it if you dont you wil be kicking your self latter
I started kenpo in 1995 and stoped at a purple belt started back about two years ago now i have my green ill test september for my brown i wish i never stopped it would be alot farther a long

John Lacy

White Belt
Reaction score
most likely procrastination of the one thing that is hardest for that particular day. At least in your thought process. if you are looking to instruct, procrastination will cripple you and your ability to teach. maybe a suggestion at your dojo would be welcome. change things up a bit to get the students re-vitalized. Press forward each and every day, reminding yourself that this could be the day that you teach or learn something that could save thir life or yours. Good Luck!

K

kenpochad

John Lacy said:
most likely procrastination of the one thing that is hardest for that particular day. At least in your thought process. if you are looking to instruct, procrastination will cripple you and your ability to teach. maybe a suggestion at your dojo would be welcome. change things up a bit to get the students re-vitalized. Press forward each and every day, reminding yourself that this could be the day that you teach or learn something that could save thir life or yours. Good Luck!
I like that John

John Lacy

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks kenpochad, I think sometimes we forget that the purpose of the art forms we choose, no matter the name of the form, is and always has been for the self defense of ourselves and those who cannot defend themselves. the way things are today, we need more children being taught the Martial Art way of protection, discipline and striving for excellence. so I hope younger people like those in this forum carry this challenge to a level never seen before.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lulls happen. Ride it out. I agree with the advice to not beat yourself up. If you're still feeling this way in 3 months...reconsider.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
All good advice so far. You might need to ease down. It could be that you are burning yourself out. If you are actually having trouble with the heat then you might want to consider consulting your instructor to see if you can train in the early morning or later in the evening. All BB's have gone through this at some time, so as you go on toward yours think about all of those that have come before you. It will help.

John Lacy

White Belt
Reaction score
Searcher... excellent reply. When I am sore form the pounding I took the last class, it is my respect for the art, instructor and those that have gone before me that helps me with the end of class, when you're so tired good form is the last thing on your mind, and the first thing we're told to concentrate on. The BB's are also some of our best motivators. Maltair may get a pile of good if he works with a BB for a while. Is that an option?

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Go harder! (Of course with lots of breaks and water.) I train in a garage in Phoenix, Az. 105 -115. Push yourself. Take pride in knowing that you will do what most will not. Drink an electolyte drink before training and that will help alot. When the training is over you will know you can do it again next time. Also, do something you have never done before or havent done for a while. (Heavy bag, sparring, grappling, etc.)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to agree to consume lots of viable fluids. However, if one is miserable to start off with, then one will not enjoy, thus making the whole thing a burden than a pleasure.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many of us sometimes want to "QUIT". We all know it takes hard work to keep going to every class. We lose the motivation to go?

When my son started a 5 year old, I told him there will be times ,you and I will not want to go.....but we must not stop and to think of it as something we must do daily. Make it a habit of going.

You will find your worst days of not wanting to go, may be your best days of training. The body feels weak and not wanting to excerise that day, but after the training you feel great. Body got it's workout and excerise.

Force yourself to go and train because in the long run, you will benfit by it.

Remember it is very easy to "QUIT", but it takes courage to keep going.....don't quit even one class........KEEP GOING...Make it a habit....

Losers Quit.....Winners don't quit.....................Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One more thing. If you make it a habit to quit? Your life will always take that turn.....to Quit!

Sucessful people do not quit. Strongest, the best, most successful people know this is true in everything we do.

Let us know ? You didn't stop going? You will also need the will of wanting to learn more and start training harder with more purpose......Aloha

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got done training for the day... a mere 85 here in the desert. Ahh, the good life. :supcool:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Some people call these points in training plateaus, and as you can see from this thread, everyone gets them. I have had one really bad plateau, and a couple of smaller ones in my MA career. I have found that I had to keep going and plugging, and eventually something would kick me out of my funk. “Going harder” was not helpful to me, it just made me bored and frustrated. I do recommend that you make it a point to make every class (or 2/3 regularly scheduled classes during the week) whether you want to go or not, one of my instructors says that everyone is three weeks from quitting.

However, I have found that good goal-setting is helpful in keeping me motivated. Instead of thinking “I want to get better at sparring” say “I want to develop my backfist, I need to improve my clinch game, I need to improve my defensive sidekick.” This gives you specific purposes for your training, and then you need to figure out how to get there.
Oh, regarding “not wanting to sweat your balls off in sparring class in 90 degree heat” well, as lots of people say; you don’t have to like it, you just have to do it.

Good luck, don’t quit,

Lamont

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
**Moderator Note:

**Thread split - flames removed.

**G Ketchmark / shesulsa
**MT Senior Moderator

Y'all can continue with the productive conversation.