Looking for a Good Katana

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Really good Katana...Something that they would use in the old times...something you can actually use...and not worry about the handle falling off....::looks at Tiger Claw and Shudders::

I don't train in Sword arts..at least not yet, but it would just be nice to have a good Katana.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
I'm looking for a Really good Katana...Something that they would use in the old times...something you can actually use...and not worry about the handle falling off....::looks at Tiger Claw and Shudders::

I don't train in Sword arts..at least not yet, but it would just be nice to have a good Katana.

What is your price range? There are good katanas to be had in all sorts of price ranges, but just as a warning, we're talking about something at least in the $250+ area.

How "traditional" do you want your katana to be? There are some folks (such as myself) that are perfectly happy with a katana that is well-built, but may deviate from what pure traditionalists may want. There are also some folks who absolutely must have something that is as traditional as possible.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
100% Traditional Katana....Price is no object, because Its gonna be a long term saving project for me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sin said:
100% Traditional Katana....Price is no object, because Its gonna be a long term saving project for me.

A 100% traditional katana, made by a true Japanese Master Swordsmith will cost you about $50,000 for the blade alone. And we are talking about a modern sword, not an antique.

The furniture, i.e. hilt fittings and scabbard, will run you another $15,000 or more.

Is this what you are really looking for, or perhaps something not quite 100% traditional?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would be more inclined to think you could land a high quality live blade that you'd be happy with for b/t $2500 and $5000. I can send you some links if you want.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I would be more inclined to think you could land a high quality live blade that you'd be happy with for b/t $2500 and $5000. I can send you some links if you want.

This is probably a better avenue for most people. A $65,000 katana made by a true Master Swordsmith is worth every penny, but that's a lot of pennies...

For the price range Gemini is suggesting, you can probably find something that most any of us would be perfectly happy with.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A 100% traditional katana, made by a true Japanese Master Swordsmith will cost you about $50,000 for the blade alone. And we are talking about a modern sword, not an antique.
While this is true, it is a bit misleading. Newly made katana (shinsakuto) that are perfectly suitable for use and completely traditionally made can be had starting at around $7000 complete. These aren't made by award winning smiths, and don't have the art polish that a master's blade would, but they are authentic nihonto. Check out Nishijin Sword, Swordstore.com, or Mugendo Budogu for places that can get you a shinsakuto.

In some instances you can actually get lucky and get a blade made by an up and coming smith that eventually gets a Juyo rating at the annual Token Kai. Then the $7000 sword you bought would jump to two or three times what you paid. Doesn't happen often, but it has been known to happen.

Many production blades are plenty well made enough for regular use. Of course, they aren't fully traditionally made because that would make them as cost prohibitive as nihonto. There are many different places to purchase decent Chinese made production swords, but you have to have some knowledge in order to make sure that you are buying a decent product from a reputable dealer.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
pgsmith said:
While this is true, it is a bit misleading. Newly made katana (shinsakuto) that are perfectly suitable for use and completely traditionally made can be had starting at around $7000 complete. These aren't made by award winning smiths, and don't have the art polish that a master's blade would, but they are authentic nihonto. Check out Nishijin Sword, Swordstore.com, or Mugendo Budogu for places that can get you a shinsakuto.

In some instances you can actually get lucky and get a blade made by an up and coming smith that eventually gets a Juyo rating at the annual Token Kai. Then the $7000 sword you bought would jump to two or three times what you paid. Doesn't happen often, but it has been known to happen.

Many production blades are plenty well made enough for regular use. Of course, they aren't fully traditionally made because that would make them as cost prohibitive as nihonto. There are many different places to purchase decent Chinese made production swords, but you have to have some knowledge in order to make sure that you are buying a decent product from a reputable dealer.

Fair enough. I know there are a lot of levels in this that I am not familiar with. I guess if he wants to be 100% traditional then only the best Master Swordsmith will do. I wouldn't be surprised if this point is being reconsidered right about now...

I agree, a good quality piece can be acquired for significantly less. Good information. Thanks.

T

TheBattousai

I own a katana that cost roughly 350-400 dollars; its made well, but by machine, so not trully authentic but is good enough. I've also seen hand made ones that aren't folded as much as others (like only 40-60 times), but are still good run for 900-1500 dollars completed. I would suggest looking around for for some while you save.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your insights...I had no Idea that it could get up in the 50,000, I want a costom made sword under 10,000 dollars, something with my name in japannese charecters in it...a balenced sword, made by human hands...Traditional Style.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
Thanks for all of your insights...I had no Idea that it could get up in the 50,000, I want a costom made sword under 10,000 dollars, something with my name in japannese charecters in it...a balenced sword, made by human hands...Traditional Style.

when you're ready you can get it here

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may want to talk to Howard Clark. He's pretty darn busy, but he makes blades that are about as "traditional" as one can get at a reasonable price.

http://www.mvforge.com/

Also, Bugei would have somethng for you, and they can certainly make you a custom sword in the price range that you seek.

http://www.bugei.com/

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Before you buy it LEARN TO USE IT! I would suggest first finding a “real” teacher. One who, only, studies the sword and has for at least 30 years. Then become a “real” student. One who is resolved to learn, not look cool swinging a blade around. Then, after you spend 20 years THEN buy a “real” Katana. Everyone wants to be skilled but no one wants to take the time to do it right. That is why we have 10 Dans, out of shape instructors, and McDojo’s in our country.

Just my rant,
ron

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Walter Wong said:
Hi Sin. Get this book and read it through.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087011798X/larmankatanapoli/102-7110037-6466504

It's important to know and understand the product that you are shopping for. Reading books like these are a good start.

This is an excellent book. I have a copy and have found it extremely informative. If you are interested in acquiring a high quality katana, then DEFINITELY read this book. It will give you a good picture of what goes into the contstruction of a high quality piece. Very eye-opening. Most people have absolutely no idea what it takes to make one of these.

I have been experimenting for over four years with rebuilding Chinese style swords, both straight Jian and curved Broadswords. While I don't yet make the blades, I have been building customized hilts (guard, grip and pommel), and scabbards. My materials have been exotic hardwoods and bronze and silver. While my work is nothing like a Master Japanese swordsmith, I can say from experience that the creation of a good quality piece takes vision, patience, care, and a lot of hard work. I love the work, but it is just amazing how much effort goes into one of these.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
Then, after you spend 20 years THEN buy a “real” Katana.
Well, 20 years is a bit extreme in waiting to use a live blade. The procedure is to just get a legitimate instructor to train you and your instructor will advise when you are ready for a live blade. And every school and instructor will vary in a timeframe of when you move on to live blade.

Yes Crane, that book is a great book. I've read it twice and still need to reread it again.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just bought a Bokken(sp)...So I will begin my training with a buddy of mine that has trained in it for a wile...My Sensei dosn't really use swords, and loacally there isn't anyone...Maybe my buddy and I can work things out....Teach ourselves...He has little training, and I have decent kabudo training, so if we go slow, and work things out, do some 1-2-3-4 etc step sparring, I think we'll do well....Your Views?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
I just bought a Bokken(sp)...So I will begin my training with a buddy of mine that has trained in it for a wile...My Sensei dosn't really use swords, and loacally there isn't anyone...Maybe my buddy and I can work things out....Teach ourselves...He has little training, and I have decent kabudo training, so if we go slow, and work things out, do some 1-2-3-4 etc step sparring, I think we'll do well....Your Views?

Any self training for sword purposes isnt really a good idea.

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
Any self training for sword purposes isnt really a good idea.

isnt there this thread with the disturbing images on page 2?

just yesterday in iaidoclass one guy had accidentelly made his iaito slip from his fingers when putting back to saya. that guy is really good, doing it for ten years. not want to think about what could have happened if it was a live blade..

Latest Discussions