Look out military phonies!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maryland Man Arrested for Allegedly Lying About Military Service

A Maryland man who the FBI says posed for years as a retired army special forces colonel and made a career lecturing law enforcement agencies about global terrorism and human trafficking across the country has been arrested.

William G. Hillar, 66, was arrested at his home Tuesday and faces a federal count of mail fraud for payment he received for lectures he gave at Monterey Institute of International Studies in California, according to court papers.

Hillar’s former website, which has since been taken down, claimed that he is a retired Colonel of the U.S Army Special Forces and served in Asia, the Middle East and Central and South America, according to court papers.

Sporting this resume, Hillar apparently had no problem finding work.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
That goes well beyond someone claiming to be a SEAL or in the "Marine Core" to impress women at a bar or win an internet pissing contest. This guy was giving out what may very well have been false information to law enforcement itself for many years. Does no one check references anymore?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That goes well beyond someone claiming to be a SEAL or in the "Marine Core" to impress women at a bar or win an internet pissing contest. This guy was giving out what may very well have been false information to law enforcement itself for many years. Does no one check references anymore?

I agree with you 100%..
and I do find this comment a little ironic considering the Obama birth discussion atm lol.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These people ought to be horse whipped, with a horse

No... that's cruelty to animals.

You'd think that his references would've been checked. But then anyone in charge of allowing a person to speak/lecture a group of LEO's would've already had checked beforehand.
Taking a guy's word for it. Sigh...

I've a number of these self-stylized special ops, former black bag, ex seal/ranger/green beret guys ... the biggest thing I usually do is ask them 1. Do they have a picture of themselves in uniform ... best answers range from lost in a fire to their classification/duties were so secret that all photos were erased... (so why are they telling ME about their past exploits??) 2. If they're so bad-assed... why are they living on the streets? Which is where I met quite a number of them.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys like this make me angry and a little sick. i can only imagine how vets feel. You would think organizations that see so much deciet and wrong doing would check the bonifides of a lecturer before hiring them. Another indication that this is a crazy world.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walts (not safe for work or the easily shocked or actually even the almost unshockable, the language is inventive, crude and very funny throughout the site)
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts

Latest Discussions