Lok Hup Ba Fa (luihebafa)

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
East Winds-
I'm going to be taking the full week of Lok Hup Ba Fa (TTCS) June 9th-13th and I'm very much excited about it as I have not done lok hup yet. I was told that durring lok hup week they have to cook twice as much food as normal due to the amount of energy burned that week. Did you take Lok Hup (1st half or whole thing) and if so what was your experence with it?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I may intrude ... :)

... DaPoets, are you taking any Lok Hup classes after the LHBF week?

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am speaking of the actual Lok Hup Ba Fa week held at Orangeville from June 9th - 13th. Lok Hup is taught in two ways with in TTCS. A 2 day weekend which teaches the 1st half, and then the 2nd way is a week long (well 5 days) instruction on the entire Lok Hup Ba Fa set. Any Lok Hup classes after that will be based on the available instruction at the TTCS location where you attend. There are only a hand full of people qualified to teach the full Lok Hup but there are a good amount out there that teach the 1st half. We have 1 person in our buffalo location that can teach the 1st half but is planning his wedding so isn't around that much these days.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
DaPoets,

Yes, I did the full Lock Hup Bat Fat set with the TTCS, but it was only later when I studied the art out-with the Society that I realised the limitations of the TTCS teachings. I'm afraid its the same with their Xing Yi teachings. Without the martial aspects you are only learning a set of movements with no understanding of their underlying significance. You are only learning half the art. How can Yin exist without Yang?

Anyway, enjoy your workshop and let us know how you fare.

Very best wishes

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
East Winds,

Did you study with Ben Chung?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
DaPoets,

Yes, I did the full Lock Hup Bat Fat set with the TTCS, but it was only later when I studied the art out-with the Society that I realised the limitations of the TTCS teachings. I'm afraid its the same with their Xing Yi teachings. Without the martial aspects you are only learning a set of movements with no understanding of their underlying significance. You are only learning half the art. How can Yin exist without Yang?

Anyway, enjoy your workshop and let us know how you fare.

Very best wishes

Sorry to go off post but this whole TTCS Xingyiquan intrigues me. They do not teach MA but they teach Xingyi...interesting.

I have a question about this, do they teach and require Santi Shi?

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
Taught by TTCS

taijiquan
taijijian
taijidao
luihebafa
xingyi
And w/ Fung Loy Kok : qigong, meditation, ceremonies, chanting, and the study of Taoist texts.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue,

No, Santi Shi is not taught by the TTCS. They do teach one posture of Zhan Zhuang but that is about it!! Yes, I know - Xing Yi without Santi Shi :erg:

Very best wishes

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue,

No, Santi Shi is not taught by the TTCS. They do teach one posture of Zhan Zhuang but that is about it!! Yes, I know - Xing Yi without Santi Shi :erg:

Very best wishes

Ahhh now it makes sense, it is the Modern Wushu Version, likely similar to Hebei Style but with the foundation missing.

Thank You

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How do you do Hsing yi with out Santi shi?

good question, I would still like to see TTCS version of Xingyi, but to be honest that is how the Wushu version is taught (without Santi) and it looks like it has no foundation and no power.

Note: my Xingyiquan Sifu's sifu told him that when he could stand in Santi for 20 minutes per side he would consider him a beginner.

OP
DaPoets

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok I'm trying to catch up on Santi shi and from my google search, pictures and videos that I have found, those same movements are in the TTCS xingyi set... But as I don't know much at all about xingyi yet as I have not taken it at this point in time I may not even know what to look for. I take xingyi for a week training in June. I was told that while learning xingyi that certain movements are done repeatedly (much more so than the other forms) to train the body and mind on how to correctly do them and even held still for a time to build that strength... Again I don't know much about it but this is what I was told by different people. Additionally, some that I spoke to said that they strive to hold certain positions for 30 minutes.... perhaps this is what is being referenced?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its not so much just sitting in the posture.
As my teacher pointed out by doing showing Horse stance with no root and Santi with root. He was trying to show just because you are low does not mean you have root.

Hsing yi is very martial and in your face.
You can not do Hsing yi with out learning the martial aspect.
Some learn boxing for health but you still learn Jabs and Crosses which of course can be used for self defense.

Hsing yi is a very direct explosive style.

Latest Discussions